My Mom’s Easy Sweet Potato Beef Stew with dumplings crockpot recipe was a winner! Although, my dad and son were not impressed with the cornmeal dumplings. Cornmeal dumplings are not as smooth as regular flour dumplings. My dad is diabetic so my mom is always trying different versions of dumpling recipes as he loves dumplings. This slow cooker beef stew with cornmeal dumplings came out more like a thick casserole but you can always add more liquid if you want it more like a vegetable beef soup.
If you follow my personal facebook page, Jessica LaRock Bruno, you know that my mom is now my “free employee” since she semi retired. I laugh everytime my dad says, you semi retired so you could work for free for Jessie? She is finding joy in helping me share our favorite recipes once a week with all of you and I am very thankful! -ha.
Easy Sweet Potato Beef Stew with dumplings
The cornmeal dumplings are definitely not as tasty as regular flour dumplings but they are still good and healthier. If you love the rich and tasty dumplings, check out our crockpot chicken and dumplings recipe, a huge family favorite!
Check out those recipes, they were delicious!
My gram always made dumplings growing up as a kid and many times she made old fashioned cornmeal dumplings from scratch or she used Jiffy cornbread mix. My gram use to always make Johnny Cake with Jiffy cornbread mix too. Looking back, that was one thing I always remember eating at my grandparents house. You basically add milk and sugar to cornbread. My grandfather ate Johnny Cake every night I think! -ha.
Easy Sweet Potato Beef Stew with dumplings
Comfort food, especially during the winter months can be taxing on the waste line. The sweet potato stew is a healthy comfort food that will fill you up but not clog up the arteries or stick to your waste line.
Slow Cooker Recipes with Sweet Potatoes
If you are a sweet potato lover, you have to try our sweet potato shepherd’s pie. It’s a healthy comfort food that I personally love.
This hearty beef & sweet potato stew recipe is light and delicious. I found the kidney beans, squash and sweet potato to be a nice addition to the beef stew. My son actually loves kidney beans and green beans (check out his favorite chili recipe) so anytime we can add beans to a recipe, we do!
Mom’s Crockpot Vegetable Braised Beef Stew + dumplings
- 4 cups braised stew beef
- 4 cups sweet potatoes peeled and diced
- 3 cups chopped butternut squash 1 pound
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 14.5 ounce cans diced tomatoes undrained
- 1 15 ounce can Great Northern beans rinsed and drained
- 2.5 cups water
- 4 tsp minced garlic we used jarred but you can use 4 cloves
- 1 tsp dried Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- 2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp fresh Italian parsley
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp milk
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 9 ounce package frozen Italian beans or cut green beans
- 1 tsp paprika to taste
- Combine beef, potatoes, mushrooms, squash, tomatoes, beans, water, garlic, Italian seasoning and pepper to slow cooker mixing gently. Cover and cook on high for 4 to 5 hours or low for 8 to 10 hours.
- Shortly before serving, prepare dumplings. In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, cheese, parsley, baking powder and salt. Gently mix. Add egg, milk, and oil and stir gently until mixture is combined.
- 50 minutes prior to being done, mix green beans into slow cooker and drop dumpling mixture dough by tablespoons on top of mixture in crockpot. Cover and cook for remaining 50 minutes. You will notice the dumplings start to rise as they cook. (see notes for cooking on low regarding dumplings)
Add more water during cooking if you prefer a vegetable beef soup vs a thick stew.
Paleo Beef Stew
My Mom’s Easy Sweet Potato Beef Stew with dumplings is a healthier alternative to traditional beef stews that have regular potatoes and flour dumplings. I do not know much about the Paleo diet but I do know that a Paleo beef stew consists of many vegetables and beef so you may be able to taylor this recipe to the diet. Just be sure to add more liquid if you want more of a beef soup. While this had a small amount of liquid “juice” it is a thick stew with minimal liquid. My dad is on my shake program and is committed to losing 25 more pounds which means his meal at night needs to be somewhat reasonable when it comes to calories, carbs and sugars.