Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings is an old time favorite in our house. I grew up with both my mom and gram always making this and the dumplings are by far, the best part. Does anyone else love using their slow cooker or crockpot especially during the winter? We use ours all the time. It’s funny, once Spring hits though, we switch to the grill.
I also added a package of sliced mushrooms last minute. That is the beauty of using a crockpot, you can add just about anything!
Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings
- 4-5 chicken breasts rinsed/pat dry
- 1 bag carrots about 8
- 1 onion chopped into small pieces
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 potatoes cubed
- 1 sweet potato sliced
- 2 cups water
- 2 packages refrigerated biscuits ripped apart
- 1/4 stick butter
- 2 cans condensed mushroom soup 10.75 oz each
- Mix water, broth and soup in a bowl.
- Add everything to the crockpot and place chicken in last on top of all the veggies.
- Pour the soup and water/broth mix across chicken.
- Veggies should be submerged in mixture , if not, add some more water until veggies are almost submerged.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper
- Cover and Cook on low 5-6 hours (veggies should be tender when done)
- in the last 30 minutes , add ripped biscuits to the top and cook until not raw.
You can also use bisquick mix for the dumplings. Just follow the directions on the back of the box and drop spoonfuls on top of the chicken. My gram use to make her own homemade dumplings and they were yummy. I should get her recipe and try to make some next time. I am always just so pressed for time so the refrigerator biscuits are usually the fastest.
If you like a thicker gravy, you can thicken with cornstarch in the last hour (before you add the biscuits). Just follow the directions on the back of the cornstarch box and pour mixture into crockpot stirring for a minute or two.
Also, if you prefer a more healthier alternative to regular potatoes, just add all sweet potatoes. I like to add both kinds in this recipe but feel free to omit either if you prefer one over another. If you are a sweet potato lover, you may also like our recent sweet potato shepherd’s pie recipe. Its delicious!
Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings
Chicken tip: After I rinse the chicken and pat dry, I usually poke holes in it with a knife or fork. This allows the juices to soak into the chicken while it’s cooking.
You may also like our easy chicken and dumplings recipe shown in the image below with different veggies that my mom made a while back.
I usually make sure that the carrots and tender and that’s how I know it’s done. Your crockpot or slowcooker also should have a recipe guide or suggested cooking times so you can also check that to figure out how long to cook. Many like to cook their meals for 8-9 hours on low which if you have everything ready first thing in the morning, you can do that too. Crockpot meals are meant to be easy and fast. I love the idea of throwing everything in and covering with liquid. This Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings recipe serves about 4-6 depending on the serving size. Be sure to check out our food page for more family favorite recipes.