Shepherd’s Pie or cottage pie? We call it Shepherd’s Pie but I know many call it cottage pie. It’s one of the staple dishes in our home that my mom would make all the time when I was a kid. My mom loves to make her 30 minute easy Shepherd’s Pie especially during the week when time is limited. Update: This post was updated in 2019.
30 minute easy Shepherd’s Pie
This recipe will bake for 30 minutes and the prep time will take about 20 minutes if you choose to boil and make your mashed potatoes from scratch or you could use instant potatoes to save time.
Sweet Potato Pie
If you are looking for a healthier version, you can also try our Sweet Potato Pie.
Have you ever tried using sweet potato?
It has cheddar cheese across the top and looked yummy.
30 minute Shepherd’s Pie for Diabetics
We have a few diabetics in our family so sweet potatoes are better vs regular and we also use ground turkey when we make the sweet potato version. It actually tastes delicious and is a nice change from traditional pie.
Cheesy Shepherd’s Pie Bacon Pie recipe
We recently shared our cheeseburger shepherd’s pie that was also amazing. This is my favorite when I am looking to cheat on my healthy diet and go all in!
Serving size: 2 cups
- 2 lbs lean beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 can creamed style corn
- 1 bag frozen corn
- 10 boiled potatoes (you can use instant potatoes as well to save time)
- 1 cup light cream or milk
- 1 stick butter (or substitute)
- Salt, pepper & paprika
- Boil potatoes and mash. Stir in 1 cup light cream and melted stick of butter. Sauté onions in a skillet until brown and then add meat. Cook meat fully and season to taste. Cook frozen corn and set aside.
- In a 9x11 baking dish, spread a layer of meat, then creamed style corn and potato. Repeat this layering process using the cooked frozen corn. Season top layer of potato with salt, pepper and paprika.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
Shop my Shepherd’s Pie Dishware (affiliate links)
My gram would always say, “Shepherd’s Pie is a staple kind of food.” She said she made it all the time when her kids were little because it was affordable and filled them up. I kind of agree with her. If you need an inexpensive meal that feeds a lot of people, try our easy 30 minute Shepherd’s Pie recipe.
I would love to hear who has another recipe version of Shepherd’s Pie on hand. Sometimes changing the recipe around is fun and I am always looking for alternative ideas. Leave your recipe ideas in the comment section below!