Shepherd’s Pie or cottage pie? We call it Shepherd’s Pie but I know many call it cottage pie. It’s one of the staple dishes in our home that my mom would make all the time when I was a kid. My mom loves to make her 30 minute easy Shepherd’s Pie especially during the week when time is limited.
Updated August 2021
This recipe will bake for 30 minutes and the prep time will take about 20 minutes if you choose to boil and make your mashed potatoes from scratch or you could use make shepherd’s pie with instant potatoes to save time.
Recipe for Easy Shepherd’s Pie
How to make an easy Shepherd’s Pie with a 30 minute bake time. To save time and cut your prep time in 1/2, you can make instant potatoes if you are in a hurry! My gram loved the Betty Crocker Brand with Butter.
Are you looking for other ways to make Shepherd’s Pie?
How about a healthy Shepherd’s pie with mashed cauliflower? You literally cannot taste the difference between mashed potato and mashed cauliflower. It’s so good! You can still add corn too!
Shepherd’s Pie with Corn
Our 30 Minute Bake Easy Shepherd's Pie
- baking dish
- 2 lbs lean beef I used 93% lean ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 can creamed style corn
- 1 bag frozen corn
- 10 boiled potatoes you can use instant potatoes as well to save time
- 1 cup light cream or milk
- 1 stick butter or substitute
- Salt pepper & paprika
- Boil potatoes and mash. Stir in 1 cup light cream and melted stick of butter. Sauté onions in a skillet until brown and then add meat. Cook meat fully and season to taste. Cook frozen corn and set aside.
- In a 9x11 baking dish, spread a layer of meat, then creamed style corn and potato. Repeat this layering process using the cooked frozen corn. Season top layer of potato with salt, pepper and paprika.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
What goes on the bottom of Shepherd’s Pie?
Shepherd’s pie is all about layering your ingredients starting with instant mashed potatoes (or boiled real potatoes)
- Layer your shepherd’s pie by starting with melted butter on the bottom of the pan and then add a layer or instant or real mashed potato
- Next layer your ground beef
- Layer your canned (or frozen) corn and creamed corn
- Final layer – mashed potato
Shepherd’s Pie can be made from sweet potato, instant potato and even whipped cauliflower.
Easy Shepherd’s Pie Ground Turkey
If you are looking for a healthier version, you can also try our Sweet Potato Pie with ground turkey.
Have you ever tried using sweet potato?
It has cheddar cheese across the top and is delicious.
We have a few diabetics in our family so sweet potatoes are better vs regular and we also use ground turkey when we make the sweet potato version. It actually tastes delicious and is a nice change from traditional pie.
Easy Shepherd’s Pie with Cheese
We recently shared our cheeseburger shepherd’s pie that was also amazing. This is my favorite when I am looking to cheat on my healthy diet and go all in!
When my gram was alive, she would always say, “Shepherd’s Pie is a staple kind of food.” She said she made it all the time when her kids were little because it was affordable and filled them up.
I kind of agree with her. If you need an inexpensive meal that feeds a lot of people, this is a great recipe.
I would love to hear who has another recipe version of Shepherd’s Pie on hand. Sometimes changing the recipe around is fun and I am always looking for alternative ideas. Leave your recipe ideas in the comment section below!