This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our disclosure here.
This beef shepherd’s pie with bacon and cheese will melt in your mouth and I’m going to show you just how easy it is to spice up traditional Shepherd’s pie! Have you ever heard of bacon cheeseburger shepherd’s pie? I had not until I came across this insanely delicious recipe in my mom’s Betty Crocker cookbook. At first, I couldn’t believe it would taste like a cheeseburger but I am here to tell you, it does and it’s delicious!
Our 30 minute Shepherd’s Pie is one of our most popular posts on google search in 2022 and this easy recipe with cheese is a delicious alternative to traditional shepherds pie.
You can make this easy shepherd’s pie recipe in small crocks like I did or use a 9×11 baking pan.
Easy Shepherd’s Pie Recipe with Cheese
If you love cheese, feel free to add more than the recipe calls for. Cheesy ground beef shepherd’s pie will melt in your mouth and even picky eaters will love it! I personally think cheddar cheese is the best cheese for shepherd’s pie but if cheddar isn’t your thing, try mozzarella.
My dad loved the fact that he was able to eat the “blog post” immediately following the photo shoot.
There were about two servings in this bowl so he did share with my mom. My mom said, that almost looks to good to eat. Be careful when you add the Worcestershire sauce , it goes along way and a teaspoon is plenty!
Same goes for the ketchup.
Try this recipe, it’s a winner for sure. I cheated and used instant potatoes and the microwavable bacon as I was limited on time but you can certainly make homemade mashed potatoes if time allows.
Related: Click through to our 30 minute Mom’s 30 Minute Shepherd’s Pie
How to spice up Shepherd’s Pie?
Shepherd’s Pie can be made with ground beef, chicken, ground turkey and it’s always mixed with mashed potato unless you are making a healthy Shepherd’s Pie (see our healthy pie version with cauliflower). If you want to get creative, try adding cheese, bacon or a specialty seasoning packet (depending on what meat you use) to spice up any traditional shepherd’s pie.
Another unique way to make Shepherd’s Pie is to add a crust as your outer layer. Simply line your baking pan with crust and fill with your favorite shepherd’s pie filling.
Bacon Cheeseburger Shepherd’s Pie
- 2 lb lean ground beef I used 93%
- 1 onion
- 2 tbsp crushed garlic
- 2 cans condensed cheddar cheese soup 10.75 oz each
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/8 cup yellow mustard
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 box/envelope creamy butter instant mashed potatoes make according to directions OR boil 5 large potatoes and mash
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- Crumbled bacon I bought the microwavable kind / quick and easy! *optional
- Sliced green onions *optional
- Cook beef in a skillet on the stovetop, onion and garlic over low/medium heat (about 5 minutes). Once meat is brown (cooked), stir in soup, ketchup, mustard and Worcestershire sauce. Heat to a boil and occasionally stir. Reduce heat once boiling to low, cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes
- Cook potatoes
- Spoon beef mixture into a serving dish, top with potato and sprinkle cheese. Top with bacon and onion
- Spoon beef mixture into a 9x13 baking dish and layer potato on top (spread evenly). Sprinkle with cheese. Top with bacon and onion.
- The hot potato will melt the cheese or if potato isn't hot, reheat in microwave.
Shepherd’s Pie with Cheesy Potatoes
Another version of this recipe would be to use Bisquick Mix instead of potatoes or even cheese flavored instant potatoes. There are so many Cheeseburger or Shepherd’s Pie with cheese recipes out there. This cheeseburger pie recipe is one of my favorites!
Who would have thought that a bacon cheeseburger mixed with potato would taste so delicious. Shepherd’s Pie with cheese and bacon is the perfect comfort food dish during the Fall or Winter months.
If you are looking for more Shepherd’s Pie recipes, click through these posts, healthy cauliflower mash shepherd’s pie, Shepherd’s pie with corn, Sweet potato Shepherd’s pie and Instant Potato shepherd’s pie.