How to reupholster a chair {tutorial + video}

Would you like to learn how to reupholster a chair? Today I am sharing how I reupholstered our two wingback chairs in our dining room. I was not planning on sharing this video tutorial as the quality is horrible but so many of you have emailed over the course of the last few months asking for a tutorial so I decided I would try to edit the video as best as I could.  Don’t say I didn’t warn you, it’s a bit rough around the edges.  Instead of one long boring video, I decided to add clips of each section of the tutorial as we go. This way, if you don’t understand my visual tutorial, simply click the clip beneath and you can see me in action.

how to reupholster a wingback chair

Here is the chair before. how to reupholster a chair

Many of these pictures were taken with my phone because I was recording the video while working on this project. I barely could figure out how to run the video never mind switching over to camera mode to take pictures. So the quality of the pictures are not the best. Many are even screen shots of the video.

First, start by draping your fabric over your chair simply to get an idea of how your chair will look. I am a visual person so I need to do this prior to starting any project. I started by cutting my fabric for the two inside pieces first. (see below)

how to reupholster a chair See video clip

Once you have cut your fabric (leaving 3″ on either side) and tucked the fabric inside the creases (if applicable) you need to use your staple gun to secure the fabric inside the crease area. I used a staple gun, construction staples (1/2 – 1″) and our air compressor. They sell actual upholstery staples but they didn’t fit in my staple gun so I just used what I had.

How to reupholster a chair

Work in sections. Step 1 & 2, the two inside “side” pieces. Step 3, the front facing back and step 4, the seat.

The next step requires you cut your front facing arm pieces.

how to reupholster a chair

See video clip:

If you are not going to make piping (to cover the edges around the arm) you really need to make sure your seams are as close to perfect and tight as possible. Piping would cover any gaps and definitely give the chair a more “finished” look. Once you cut your front facing pieces (be sure to leave 3″ or so on either side, try to strategically staple where the staple will not show. The staples will be hidden by the arm fabric but you still want to try and staple in the least conspicuous place.

Once you have your front facing piece cut and stapled, you need to cover the inside of the arm chair. You will see that I covered the inside (tucked down far into the seat and out to the “outside end”). I hid the staples up underneath the outside of the arm.

how to reupholster a chair

See video clip:

You can see I stopped (stapled) at the outside end. I decided to upholster the “outside” arm piece seperately (see below). I suppose you could just do one long continues piece of fabric but it didn’t look good to me and I wanted a clean seam line. See below how I cut a long piece (rectangular shape) leaving enough fabric to fold inward so you get a clean edge showing on the outside. Pull as tight as you can and staple each corner.

how to reupholster a chair

You do the same thing for the top side pieces. Be sure to pull tight and staple.

how to reupholster a chair

The seams are where you will put your piping if you choose. The piping will also hide any staples that may be showing. You can see below, I pulled the fabric around to the back of the chair leaving about 2 inches overlapping. I trimmed off the excess fabric once it was pulled tight and stapled.

how to reupholster a chair

I originally intended on making piping but once I finished the chair, I kind of liked it with the “seamed” look. Because I used a powered staple gun, the staples barely show. I won’t lie though, some do show but for sake of saving thousands of dollars, I’ll deal with a few staples. ha.

Next, cut your piece of fabric for the back side of the chair. You will see below the entire backside was done in one piece of fabric. Leave about 1″ extra on each side when cutting because you will need to fold each side inward about an inch in order to get the clean seam line.

how to reupholster a chair

The final version photo’s below are compliments of Woman’s Day Magazine.

how to reupholster a chair

Here is a fun shot of the entire dining room shot by the Woman’s Day photographer. I love how our reupholstered chairs add so much bright and vivid color to the room.

how to reupholster a chair

And another goofy one of my mom and I setting the table during the photo shoot. You can see more pictures, the color of the walls and more information about this makeover on our dining room post.

how to reupholster a chair

Lastly, my little man and I in our “new” chair.

how to reupholster a chair

Never in a million years while I was reupholstering these chairs did I think they would end up in a magazine. It was well worth the pain of learning how to reupholster to see our entire dining room and these chairs in this past January’s issue of Woman’s Day Magazine.  Learning how to reupholster a chair can be tedious and a bit frustrating but I had the cost savings in mind so that motivated me to figure out how to make this re-upholstery project work. I love the fact that this chair has a new modern style and simply for the cost of the fabric. I used about 8 yards of fabric per chair. I think I really only needed about 7 yards though but ordered a bit extra just in case.

PS. Did you see our “how to make curtains using burlap (no sew) tutorial” ? It’s quick and easy, I think you will like it! Click below to view our home.

Home Tour
Keep up with us by following along:

Follow Four Generations One Roof on Pinterest

, , , , , , , ,

Responses to How to reupholster a chair {tutorial + video}

1. Melissa March 20, 2013 at 8:50 am #

I love you tutorial! The chair is beautiful. But I have to ask.. Im looking for that perfect color of grey for my 1952 cape cod I just purchased. And I just love your walls. I have installed the bead board just like you. And that color is so perfect. Do you know what it is? Please reply if you remember it. Thanks so much!

• Jessica Bruno March 20, 2013 at 10:08 am #

Thank you Melissa! The top part of the wall is Cobblestone Cape May by Benjamin Moore

2. olivia March 20, 2013 at 12:09 pm #

Hi, your job is really amazing, but I really wanted to see where you stapled the fabric. It looks very pretty but I cant figure how to do the staples. I have 4 wing chairs to do and have seen several tutorials and yours is the simpliest one, the only thing is that your videos are sooooo short and you didnt show how to do the staples.

Thank you!

• Ann July 1, 2013 at 2:06 pm #

There is a cardboard strip (with staples already in it) that you can purchase (not much cost at all) that you can wrap the material around then tap with a hammer to secure into the chair before securing the material around the corner to the back of the chair (prior to putting the back material on) to give it a definite professional secured look.

3. Abbey March 20, 2013 at 1:46 pm #

Great tutorial–they came out so nice! Would love to tackle this one at some point but I’m a total DIY beginner so not quite ready!

4. Erin @ DIY On the Cheap March 20, 2013 at 1:54 pm #

They look great, Jessica! I may be using your tutorial if I can find some thrift store or Craigslist chairs to re-cover. I’d love to have some for our master bedroom sitting area. Thanks for sharing!

5. Raylen March 20, 2013 at 2:52 pm #

Thank you Melissa! This is a great tutorial and you have given me the courage to try and do our leather wingback chair that our cat has totally ruined. Your dining room looks amazing with your “new” chairs.

6. Jodi Blackmon March 20, 2013 at 3:32 pm #

I’m sorry. But I think it would have been easier to tear the chair apart and use the existing fabric as a template. Then you just staple it on, under tucking as you go. Gives it a more polished look. Your chair fabric is beautiful, though.

• Kathy June 4, 2013 at 10:25 am #

I see your point; however, my fabric is in such poor condition, it’s great to have this option.

7. Janet March 20, 2013 at 7:47 pm #

You do fabulous work!! I just came back from signing on at Pinterest and everything looks so wonderful! I love the fabric you chose for your chairs, such a change and they didn’t look worn in the before shots, just not as bright and beautiful. You mentioned the staples showing, I’ve seen wingchairs in high-end stores with upholstery tacks at the seams where you have staples, I think I’ve seen some that don’t even have to be individually hammered in (strips if memory serves) for those who don’t have pneumatic staple guns, like me, lol. Got a new fan for sure!!
    Janet

8. Deb Cazzetta March 20, 2013 at 8:46 pm #

This is a great tutorial. I have wanted to try upholstering for some time now & have been chicken. I have viewed many tutorials and yours is the most indepth and step by step I ahve seen. I just love your blog.

9. Laura @ Finding Home March 20, 2013 at 10:51 pm #

Saw this on your Instagram post so I had to come see what is about – you may, i repeat may, have inspired me to try something like this! Great project!

• Jessica Bruno March 21, 2013 at 8:37 am #

Thank you Laura! Go for it :)

• Jessica Bruno March 22, 2013 at 6:13 pm #

Hey Laura! Yay, I hope you go for it and give reupholstering a try. Thanks for stopping by and commenting. I appreciate it :)

10. Casey @ PrettyOrganized.com March 21, 2013 at 9:17 am #

Brilliant!! I absolutely LOVE this!! We have been toying with reupholstering our couch recently, and I think I may have to try your method! Do you have any recommendations for covering the loose seat pillows on my sofa? Maybe I can use iron-on hem tape for that part, or do you think staples will work there, too?

11. Ashley@AttemptsAtDomestication March 21, 2013 at 5:11 pm #

I love this! And the chair looks great! Way better than having it reupholstered!

12. Melissa Aldana March 21, 2013 at 9:29 pm #

What a sweet outcome you chose a fantastic fabric. I won’t be turned off when i see an ugly wing back chair

13. Jill March 24, 2013 at 7:52 am #

What a fab tutorial, love the fabric you’ve chosen.

14. Genevieve March 25, 2013 at 9:04 am #

Thank you so much for this tutorial.I have been trying to have my wing chair recovered and I have called different places and they want to charge up to $1,000 and that is not in my price range so I will attempt to do it your way. Thank you so very much.
    Genevieve Lerner

• Jessica Bruno March 25, 2013 at 10:01 am #

Thank you! I know, to have a chair professionally done is way out of my budget so that is why I tried this. I am so happy with how it came out and am thinking about doing my mom’s chairs now. Good luck and I’m sure it will come out great.

15. Gorgeous Jessica! I have the same question as Olivia–are your staples on the outside of the fabric, where they can be seen? and when you say staple the four corners, are those the only ones you put in that piece of fabric or do you continue down the sides?

• Jessica Bruno April 2, 2013 at 3:45 pm #

You can see a couple of the staples but had I decided to do piping, they would be hidden. I only stapled the four corners. The key is to pull the fabric as tight as you can so that there isn’t a gap along the sides. However, if you are going to add piping later on, you could always staple more if needed, they would be hidden by the piping.

16. Kathy June 4, 2013 at 10:22 am #

I think I love you!!

17. Cynthia June 9, 2013 at 8:27 pm #

Hi! So glad I stumbled upon your website. I have a question about the chair: How much fabric do you think you used to cover just one? Thanks in advance.

• Jessica Bruno June 11, 2013 at 8:04 pm #

Hi, I used about 7 yards for each chair. Thanks for stopping by!

18. Melissa June 30, 2013 at 7:26 pm #

Great idea! Love the fabric–can you tell me the brand and name?

19. Claire July 5, 2013 at 11:54 am #

I love it! Thanks for the tutorial. I am planning on taking on this project soon.

20. Suzanne J Dean July 12, 2013 at 7:23 pm #

Those chairs are beautiful and I LOVE the fabric…pulls the eye in nicely! Can I ask if you took an upholstery class or learned online? I have 4 chairs I would love to redo and the prices to have it done are astronomical and I “think” I may try one myself LOL…oy vey…scary thought. Thanks for your tutorial..I’m gathering bits and pieces of tuts to figure it all out.

hugz,
    Suzanne

• Jessica Bruno July 12, 2013 at 7:38 pm #

Thank you :) Nope, no classes. Just get yourself a heavy duty staple gun (preferably one that is power with an air compressor) cut your fabric and staple it on :) Good luck! Send me some pics when you finish :)

21. Trudge July 28, 2013 at 5:14 pm #

Great tutorial. I have 2 dining wing backs that I want to do this technique. I’ve measured and conservatively think I will need 4 yards of 60″ wide fabric per chair. What amount of fabric did you need for your chair?

Thanks for posting this.

• Jessica Bruno July 28, 2013 at 5:20 pm #

I used about 7 yards give or take per chair. Thank you and good luck :)

22. Morgan August 10, 2013 at 1:30 am #

Awesome tutorial! I was just wondering how much material you used for this chair? It would have been nice to see all of the supplies needed.

• Jessica Bruno August 10, 2013 at 6:08 pm #

Thank you ! The last paragraph says how much fabric I used. I used about 7.5 yards per chair.

23. Jamielyn August 10, 2013 at 12:13 pm #

LOVE this! And love that you stapled right over the existing fabric! Looks gorgeous! I’m tackling one this weekend, so I’ve been reading lots of tutorials and yours by far is my favorite. My only question is, how did you put the cording on? I didn’t see that part. Did you glue it on after the chair was finished? Thank you! :D

• Jessica Bruno August 10, 2013 at 6:04 pm #

Thank you! There is no cording….it just looks like there is :) I folded the fabric to create a “seam” and then pulled extra tight and stapled the bottom where the staple would be hidden. You could definitely glue the piping/cording though :) Good luck, I’m sure it would come out great!

24. MissFifi August 15, 2013 at 8:50 am #

OHMIGOD This is fabulous! You did a wonderful job.
    I have two very oversized Laura Ashley wingbacks I got off Craig’s list and was quoted $1100 for both chairs and the ottoman. I may have to do this until I can one day afford the pro job. Thank you so much for sharing.

25. Basia August 28, 2013 at 11:49 am #

Beautiful! I Love it

26. Devon September 12, 2013 at 10:11 pm #

Amazing tutorial! Thank you x 3! Really appreciate you sharing such a wonderful upholstery secret! Your work is professional!

27. Devorah December 23, 2013 at 9:31 am #

How do i actually staple into the insides of the chair? my staples are not grabbing anything and arent holding.

• Jessica Bruno December 23, 2013 at 9:51 am #

You can only staple to the wooden part of the chair (the frame). My chair was a full wood frame so for me, I had something to staple to. Does your chair have a wooden frame?

28. Lori December 31, 2013 at 4:55 pm #

Thank you so much for this tutorial! I am working on covering a wing back chair I rescued from the curb. Your instructions have helped so much. I think when it’s done it will be one of my favorite pieces.

• Jessica Bruno January 2, 2014 at 8:05 pm #

Yay! Thanks so much Lori :) Glad you like it and send me a picture when you are finished! I would love see it.

29. Tracy Laverty January 6, 2014 at 10:53 am #

Thank you for your tutorial! I sooo needed this since I am in the middle of an re-upholstery project right now. You explain it simply and make it look fun and easy. Your chairs turned out beautiful!

• Jessica Bruno January 7, 2014 at 9:35 am #

Thank you and good luck! Send over a picture when you are finished :)

30. Betty819 March 16, 2014 at 3:03 pm #

I’ve always wanted to learn how to upholstery a simple chair like this, but I can’t imagine “no sewing involved.” Thanks for sharing your tuitorial and experience with us. Love the fabric..

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. How to reupholster a dining chair - Four Generations One Roof - April 11, 2013

[...] If you are interested in learning how to reupholster a wingback chair, be sure to check out our dining room wingback that I reupholstered last summer. I shared a video and full no sew [...]