This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our disclosure here.
Today I am sharing my Mom’s Weekend Light Chicken Pot Pie Recipe that she adapted from The Cooking Light magazine. I love comfort food but have found that is sticks to my waistline the older I get so we are always looking for healthy comfort food ideas. Be sure to check out our healthy Cauliflower Mash Shepherd’s Pie recipe with no potato if you are looking for more healthy comfort food ideas.
My mom likes to get her ingredients setup first so she feels organized. She ended up using shredded carrots instead of chopped to save time.
You may also like: Our 30 Minute Easy Shepherd’s Pie Recipe
My mom also made a large pie plate version of the chicken pot pie too. She ended up doubling the recipe as when you are cooking for multiple generations, you need a lot of food!
Mom’s Weekend Light Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
- 1 slice of bacon chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 1/2 cups potato cubed
- 1 cup chopped carrots my mom purchased shredded to save time
- 2 cups leeks or chopped onions
- 6 skinless boneless chicken cut into small cubes
- 3 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 cups fat free low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 package 14.1 ounce refrigerated pie dough
- 1 tbsp fat free milk
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- Preheat oven to 450
- Cook Bacon (we used the microwavable bacon - quick and easy clean up!) Must be crisp
- In large stovetop skillet, heat olive oil and garlic on medium for 1 minute, add bacon, celery, potato, chicken and carrots - saute for 3 minutes or until lightly browned. Stir in flour, salt, pepper and leeks. Saute 1 minute.
- Slowly add broth to pan, stirring constantly and bring to a boil. Cook for 2 minutes until thick (keep stirring)
- Simmer on low
- Spoon mixture into crocks, individual ramekins or a large baking pie plate. Cut dough into circles large enough to cover the top of dishes. Press dough tightly along edges and cut slits on top to vent.
- Combine milk and egg white and brush over dough.
- Bake 450 for 30 minutes or until dough is golden brown.
- Let sit for 10 minutes before serving
- Adapted from The Cooking Light Magazine.
Mom’s Weekend Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
There are so many ways to make chicken pot pie. I prefer chicken pot pie with crust or chicken pot pie with biscuits and it’s even better when it’s a healthy version. By not lining the bottom of the crock or pie plate with crust, you are saving on calories.
You may also like our chicken and dumpling recipe.
This recipe below is the non-healthy version but great for a splurge day! It’s so yummy.
As many of you know, we started our healthy living journey earlier last year when my dad’s diabetes started to take control and it was evident, he needed to drop some weight and watch his food intake. So far he has lost over 30 pounds and my mom and I have lost 10 pounds.
Here is my week 1 vs week 12 before and after starting the best nutritional system ever.
I didn’t really need to lose a lot of weight but was carrying around sticky weight from when I had my son over 12 years ago so I am thrilled to be rid of it! The Nutritional System that I started earlier last year encompassing a delicious shake or two a day along with healthy snacks and meals really was a game changer for not only losing the weight but increasing my energy. You can read more about that on our healthy balanced living page.