Sharing a low calorie sesame beef tenderloin with broccoli recipe today! The recipe calls for a lot of spice so next time, I will add less red pepper flakes as it was a little spicy for me (but I’m wimpy when it comes to spice).
If you like a little kick, you will love this recipe.
Before we get to the recipe, thank you for all your emails about my “pushing through life and crossroads” post this past Sunday :).
Easy Beef Tenderloin Recipe
For the last couple months, I have been focusing on exercising and eating healthier. Eating healthy is not fun! -ha.
I was fortunate up until a few years ago, that my metabolism was crazy high and I could eat pretty much anything I wanted with minimal exercise but that’s not the case anymore. Something happens in your forties where your body doesn’t seem to cooperate like when you were younger :(.
For me, finding dinner recipes that are not loaded with carbs and calories can be a challenge.
I liked this low calorie sesame beef tenderloin with broccoli recipe but will definitely cut back on the pepper flakes next time.
First, marinate beef tenderloin in a ziplock bag.
The marinate can break your calorie count if you are not careful.
This marinate is simply low sodium soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic, ginger, lemon juice and pepper.
Beef Tenderloin & Broccoli with Noodles Recipe
Low Calorie Sesame Beef & Broccoli with Noodles
- 1 lb boneless beef tenderloin tips You can use a steak and slice into strips or purchase tenderloin tips
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp soy sauce I used reduced salt soy sauce
- 3 tbsp sesame oil (plus 2 tsp reserved for later)
- 3 cloves garlic I used (3 tsp) minced garlic
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper Use less if you do not like spice
- 8 ounce whole wheat linguine I used organic
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup water reserved from drained linguine
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 tsp sesame seeds optional as garnish
- 1 - 4 wedges lemon optional as garnish
- Place bite sized beef tenderloin (I tenderized with meat tenderizer) in ziplock bag
- Mix soy sauce, lemon juice, 2 tbsp sesame oil, garlic, ginger and crushed pepper in a bowl and pour over beef tenderloin in bag. Seal bag and coat meat with marinade. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Cook linguine on stove top according to directions. Drain and save 1/2 cup of boiling water. Cook 2 minutes less than directions call for as the noodles will also cook in skillet later.
- Combine 1/4 cup water and broccoli in non stick skillet, cover and bring to boil (medium heat) to steam broccoli. Stir broccoli occasionally. Once water is evaporated (about 3-4 min) and broccoli is soft and crisp brown color, add onion, 2 tbsp sesame oil and 1/8 crushed pepper. Cook another 3 minutes stirring occasionally. Once cooked transfer to a bowl and cover to keep warm.
- Drain Beef (reserve drained marinade) and place strips of beef in same skillet (medium heat) cooking until med rare (pink in middle) flipping beef until complete. Remove to covered plate to keep warm once cooked.
- Add linguine and reserved marinade to skillet . Cook on medium heat stirring until noodles are soft. Sauce will thicken a little. Cook about 2 minutes.
- Split up cooked noodles in 4 plates, top with beef and broccoli mix.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and lemon wedge
What I liked most about this low calorie sesame beef tenderloin with broccoli recipe was the noodles. Pasta is not low in carbs but when you make organic whole wheat (and don’t eat a huge portion), it’s a better alternative to regular pasta.
My son was trying to figure out why the noodles tasted different and I think the fact that the noodles were sauteed in sesame oil, was why he ate it. -ha. Whole wheat pasta just doesn’t taste as good as regular pasta. 🤷♀️
Most of the low calorie beef recipes I come across are vegetable stir fry so if you have any that are not stir fry, please send them my way!
Next time I cook this recipe, I will omit the red pepper flakes and use a seasoned salt. Jim and my son liked the “kick” but it was too much for me.
The beef tenderloin came out cooked a bit more than I would have liked so next time, I will cook it 2 minutes less than recipe called for. It continued to cook once I removed from the skillet.
If you are looking for more healthy recipes, check out our low calorie page.