Small Deck Decorating Ideas For Summer
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our disclosure here.
Today we are chatting about small deck decorating ideas! Summer is the perfect time to enjoy the outdoors and spruce up your outdoor space. Decorating your deck can help you create a cozy, inviting atmosphere that you and your family can enjoy all season long. With a few simple steps, you can transform your small deck into an outdoor oasis.
Let’s take a look at my friends deck makeover for Summer and how we created an outdoor living area over over looking the lake.
Small Deck Furniture Layout Ideas
Stylish furniture arrangements for small decks can consist of two chairs with an end table, two chairs with matching sofa or a simple bistro table and coordinating chairs. If you have enough space, you can create multiple seating areas.
If you are limited on space, try to incorporate furniture pieces that serve a dual purpose. For example, the fire pit serves as a heat source, ambiance, a place to rest a drink or a tabletop when the cover is on.
For this particular deck, we decided to add a 4 piece wicker seating area, a small fire pit coffee table and outdoor floor pouf for additional seating if floor space allows.
Choose a Color Scheme
Choosing a color scheme is one of the most important steps in decorating your small deck. Pick colors that will complement the natural surroundings and create an inviting atmosphere.
- Add life with bright colors like yellow, pink and orange to add a pop of color
- For a calming and relaxing space, add blues and greens
- Use different shades of same color to add texture
The varying shades of blue and coral on this deck is a refreshing color scheme and the coastal patterns on the pillows add a pop of color perfect for a lakeside deck.
Plan for Entertainment
When decorating a small deck, it’s important to plan ahead for entertainment. Think about what activities you want to do on the deck and make sure there is enough room for everyone to move around comfortably. If you have limited space, consider investing in multi-functional furniture such as benches with built-in storage. Space-saving storage solutions for small deck organization is the key to eliminating clutter in a limited space.
Cozy Small Deck Decorating Ideas
What decorating elements did we use to spruce up this deck?
- Outdoor Area rug – adds texture and sets the stage for the focal point
- Potted plants like hydrangeas – large blooms create a fancy looking space
- Palm tree plants from Home Depot – adds greenery and character
- Vase with fresh flowers – fresh cut flowers add a personal touch
- Textured and colorful ceramic planters – adds depth to the space
- Outdoor floor poufs for additional seating – functional and decorative
- Ceramic candle holders – provides ambiance and color
- String lights – provides a personal touch and ambiance in the evening
- Throw Pillows (tan stripes, white and patterned coral) – adds color and texture
- Blanket – functional and softens furniture lines
We decided to mix blue, beige, coral and a hint of aqua pillows, throw and planters along with plants to create a tropical oasis.
Utilize end tables or planters in varying heights to layer plants and candles.
If you have older planters, side tables or furniture that is worn, consider spray painting them with outdoor spray paint to give them new life and add a pop of color.
Outdoor Furniture Products You Will Love (Get The Look)
- Wicker 4 Piece Set With Blue Cushions
- Outdoor blue medallion rug
- Fire pit coffee table
- Coral throw pillows
- Distressed green planter
- White distressed table top planter
- White larger stone planter
More Outdoor Summer Decorating Ideas You Will Love
Our indoor outdoor summer patio living space below features how I set up our patio with a multifunctional sectional with table and chairs. The goal of this patio was to create an indoor outdoor living room as an extension from the inside of our house. In the case below, we used an outdoor sectional sofa as the seating for the dining table which is really fun! You can remove the dining table anytime and add a fire pit coffee table for a different look.
By incorporating colorful decorations, comfortable seating, and vibrant plants, you can create a welcoming and refreshing space where you can relax, play, and enjoy the sunny days with family and friends.
About The Author
What started as a hobby, Jessica’s blog now has millions of people visit yearly and while many of the projects and posts look and sound perfect, life hasn’t always been easy. Read Jessica’s story and how overcoming death, divorce and dementia was one of her biggest life lessons to date.
You created a fabulous oasis for that view! The colors are perfect along with nature’s beautiful palette. I could sit out there for hours. TFS such great joy.