I didn’t plan on sharing these fast low carb stuffed peppers with brown rice because my fancy camera wasn’t available but these guys were whipped up so fast last weekend I snapped a few cell phone pictures to share with you. They are so delicious and really healthy! The key is to purchase lean ground beef (93% or higher) and use brown rice. I personally love red, yellow and orange peppers but you can use green peppers too.
My mom always made stuffed peppers when I was growing up as a kid so for me, stuffed peppers bring back childhood memories. Although, I wasn’t exactly a fan of peppers as a kid but acquired a taste for them as I got older.
Low Carb Stuffed Peppers with Brown Rice
- 3-4 bell peppers any color works
- Black pepper and sea salt
- 4-6 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves minced (I used 2 tbsp jarred minced garlic)
- 1 cup of chopped onion about one small onion
- 1 pound of 93-percent lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup brown rice I precooked in the microwave
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 1 cup low sodium beef broth
- 1 1/2 cups of water
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut the tops off each of the peppers, keep the tops for later. Remove any seeds and gutts so they are hollow.
- In a medium sized skillet heat 1 teaspoon of the olive oil over medium heat and add garlic and onions. Cook until softened, then add in the beef, oregano, cinnamon and cumin. Cook beef until brown (no more pink)
- Stir in one tablespoon of tomato paste.
- Add and mix in the beef broth and brown rice. Remove from heat and let the mixture cool for 3-5 minutes. Season with salt / pepper
- Divide the filling among the 3-4 peppers then add pepper tops.
- Stand the peppers up in a small baking dish. In a medium sized bowl whisk the 1.5 cups water with the remaining tablespoon of tomato paste and three teaspoons of olive oil. Pour in the baking dish around the stuffed peppers.
- Cover the dish tightly with foil and bake until the peppers are tender (about 50-60 minutes)
- Adapted from Food Network and Delish.
Fast Low Carb Stuffed Peppers with Brown Rice
The recipe is adapted from Food Network and Delish. Their recipe called for thickening the broth which I opted to skip as it added additional calories and sugar to the recipe. My husband and dad are diabetic so we try to minimize the sugar when possible.
Pin This Image | Save For Later
This couldn’t be an easier recipe. My son who is 11 years old has also made stuffed peppers and ironically when he makes something, he always eats the creation. Now if I made these, he wouldn’t want to eat the pepper (because it’s a veggie!) and it was stuffed with something. Isn’t it funny how kids can be? If he makes it, it must be good in his mind! -ha.
We are attempting to eat a bit healthier these days and anything to keep the carbs and calories down is always a bonus. The best part about these peppers are not only do you incorporate your starch (the brown rice) into your meal, you also get your meat and veggies too. Now if you wanted to add sour cream and melted cheese you could, but that would add more calories and fat. That could be a nice option though as a treat. Try out this fast low carb stuffed pepper version and let me know what you think.