Small Space Laundry Room Ideas

Our laundry room makeover made some progress this weekend. I originally planned on just painting the walls white and reusing the existing metal shelves and brackets but once I started painting, I decided to change the shelving units. Why do I always do that? I initially plan on a simple makeover project and mid stream, I change my mind and complicate things. Do you ever do that? My dad saw me attempting to remove striped screws and shelving that was over forty years old from the previous owner and he said, “what the heck are you doing, why don’t you leave the shelving brackets?” Of course, once the shelves and brackets were removed, the holes in wall were enormous and the marks from the existing brackets required sanding. The metal brackets below were rusted to the wall in some spots. They were basically engrained in the wall.

small space laundry room

laundry room removing shelves

Our laundry room is in a small closet in our half bathroom off of our kitchen. Here is how it looked before I painted it.

small space laundry room

Here is how it looks once I got the brackets removed.

small space laundry room

*USE YOUR ARROW KEYS ON YOUR KEYBOARD OR THE ARROWS ABOVE TO SCROLL GALLERY*

, , , , ,

Responses to Small Space Laundry Room Ideas

1. Kristie September 30, 2013 at 8:48 am #

Can’t wait to see your finished product. I’m trying to decide what to do with my laundry room myself. Thanks for pics of different options.

2. lizbelle September 30, 2013 at 2:56 pm #

Great rooms! Do you know where you found the second to last Photo? I need that shelving unit is just right to go next to our stackables!

3. Chris September 30, 2013 at 4:31 pm #

If you had to stack them couldn’t you have some kind of shelf that slid out from the shelves you put beside the units. Or a door on the shelves that came down and formed a table top (with a leg on a hinge) to fold on. Or against the wall.

Of courses your shelves would be larger.

• Jessica Bruno September 30, 2013 at 4:42 pm #

Yes I think so. I also think a pull out shelf in between the washer and dryer might work. Thanks for the info :)

4. Pam October 4, 2013 at 2:37 pm #

Beautiful laundry rooms! I would love to redo mine. Any ideas for people with a top load washer?

5. Susan October 5, 2013 at 9:20 am #

Thank you, thank you, thank you for this post!! My laundry “room” is a small closet in our hallway and I’ve been looking for alternatives to the way the shelving is done and this post gives me some great ideas!

6. Lauralee October 20, 2013 at 6:10 pm #

I loved the pull-out shelf in between the stacked units in one of your photos. Never saw that before and that could be a solution for folding space with stacked units! We are breaking ground on our property Nov. 1st and I am still planning our laundry room! In our very first home, a long time ago, my husband built me a shelf that pulled out from under the ordinary ones above it so I would have a place to put folded clothes. Everyone had their “spot” on that shelf when I was folding.

Thanks for a great article! Lauralee

• Jessica Bruno October 21, 2013 at 9:54 am #

A place to fold is important. I usually throw them on the table and then the pile annoys me . ha! We will have a folding station in our new one, I can’t wait! :) Good luck with your new home, that is so exciting!

7. eric102271 January 15, 2014 at 11:49 am #

These are all good and well but many of them only work if you have the money to buy the new style washer and dryers. I have top loading washer and both my washer and dryer have the control panel on the top rear. This makes many of these setups unusable.
    :-(