What’s for dinner tonight? We love meatloaf but sometimes, we like to add ground turkey instead. Today, I am sharing an easy turkey meatloaf recipe topped with tomatoes. Sounds good right? My dad, husband and grandfather are all diabetic and ground turkey is a better option for them so a couple nights ago, I made this and it turned out great.
Yummy turkey meatloaf recipe
- 2 lbs ground turkey I used 96% lean
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup quick cooking oats
- 2 tbsp snipped chives
- 4-6 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 12/ cup shredded carrot
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 cups chopped roma tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 tbsp canola oil
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp chili powder
- Combine eggs, chives, oats and garlic in a bowl. Add seasonings. Mix in vegetables and then add ground turkey. Once mixed well , make mini loaves and place on a cookie sheet lined with tin foil. I sprayed my foil lightly with a coat of Pam Spray olive oil to prevent sticking.
- In a separate bowl, mix tomatoes, onion, mustard, oil and chili pepper.
- Pour tomato mixture over loaves.
- Bake 375 for 35-40 minutes or until loaves are cooked
*This recipe is adapted from a slow cooker recipe found in a Southern Living Magazine.
You can substitute the turkey with ground beef too. I served on a cute white platter with roasted potatoes that I also baked on the cookie sheet. Why not right? You can also used canned crushed tomatoes too instead of cutting up fresh ones. I would probably drain the canned tomatoes though.
Looking for a cute white platter to share your dinner on? Here are a couple that we have and a few on my wish list:
Even my son liked this turkey meatloaf recipe and he didn’t even realize that he was eating mushrooms and carrots.-ha. Sometimes meatloaf and/or turkeyloaf can get a little boring but the addition of a tomato mixture on top added a little extra pizzaz and delicious flavor. Be sure to check out our other family favorite recipes on our new food page. This post does contain affiliate links which means if you buy something, we may make a few pennies. Thank you in advance if you do 🙂