This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our disclosure here.
Who loves chili? We do and it’s an all time favorite during football season. Yesterday I made 2 lbs of chili and it was gone in an hour. Between my grandparents, parents and my family, it doesn’t take long to to finish off a large dish of chili. Today I am sharing how to make chili the easy way. I have minimal time to cook so I am a big believer in using canned tomatoes and already peeled and diced onions. Anything that makes it easy, I am all for.
How to make chili
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup white cooking wine I used pinot grigio
- 2 tbsp chopped garlic
- 2 tsp fresh chopped basil
- 1 14 oz can diced tomatoes basil/garlic/onion flavor
- 1 14 oz can red kidney beans
- 1 package of McCormick's Chili Seasoning I used original/mild but you can purchase hot if you desire
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 large package shredded Mexican cheese
- 1 large container sour cream
- Serve hot with shredded cheese and sour cream
- Chips optional
- Add olive oil, wine, garlic and onion to pan and sautee until brown. Add ground beef and mix together. Cook on medium heat until meat is brown. Mix in Chili season pack, basil and simmer on low. Add drained beans and full can of diced tomatoes. Bring to a low boil and remove from heat. Let sit for 20 minutes and stir in 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese. Season with 2 tsp cinnamon, salt and pepper.
We prefer a mild chili but feel free to add diced hot peppers and a hot chili season mix if you love to have your mouth on fire! ha. How to make chili is super easy and also a great dish when serving a large crowd. I mean, who doesn’t love chili? Of course, if you have time and don’t mind the extended prep time, you can dice and season your own tomatoes.
There are so many ways to make chili, in fact, this is the first time I added cinnamon and wine.
Normally, I would have added two packs of McCormick’s chili seasoning (with 2lbs of ground beef) but I wanted to experiment with the chili using cinnamon and wine and I must say, it came out quiet delicious. It even got a thumbs up from my grandfather. Sometimes that’s tough to do ;). Be sure to check out our kitchen for more of our favorite dishes, yum!