Do you ever feel like you are running in circles and never seem to get caught up and then once you get caught up, it’s time to start over? I feel like that a lot and I know my mom feels the same way. She still works full time and has the horses to contend with when she gets home. So when it comes to dinner planning, we are all about easy and simple. My calls this the lazy crockpot beef stew method. -ha. I tend to agree with her.
There are so many ways to make crockpot beef stew and yes, you can save money by chopping your own veggies but if you are pressed for time, you can grab some already cut up veggies in the produce aisle at the market. They are called “stew starter kits” at our market. They contain already cut up potatoes, carrots, onions and celery. I didn’t start my slow cooker until 12 noon so I decided to cook it on high for 4 hours and then check it. I ended up cooking it for 5 hours as the carrots were not fully tender. That is how I know it’s done. If you are super organized and get your crockpot or slow cooker full in the morning, you can cook it on low for 8-10 hours. I am just never that organized! -ha. My mom is though, she will use her slow cooker a couple times a week in the winter and it starts at 8am. The house always smells so good on those days. Your cooker should have a cooking time guide as well if you are unsure how long to set the timer for.
Lazy Crockpot Beef Stew
- 2 lbs stew meat I bought boneless round Angus stew meat
- 1 tbsp crushed garlic I buy a large jar and keep in fridge
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 bag of carrots
- 1 onion Some sliced, some chopped
- 1 sweet potato cubed
- 2 regular potatoes cubed
- 1 celery stalk chopped
- 1 Slow Cooker Beef Stew Seasoning packet I used McCormick
- 2 1/2 cups beef broth if you want more broth, add another cup
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Add olive oil and garlic to a skillet on low heat
- Brown Garlic (about 5 minutes / stir occasionally)
- Add stew meat and lightly brown (2-3 min each side)
- Stir in slow cooker seasoning packet and remove from heat
- Add everything to the crockpot. Add beef last to the top and mix everything together.
- We prefer a thick gravy/sauce so in the last 1/2 hour, I used cornstarch and water (follow directions on the back of cornstarch box) to thicken the sauce.
- Cook high 4-6 hours
Lazy Crockpot Beef Stew
I got this new slow cooker right before Christmas as our other one just stopped working. It was 10 years old so I was due for a new one. I absolutely LOVE this thing. It’s pretty on the counter and cooks perfectly. I love the digital front and the warmer option. Here is our slow cooker affiliate link if you are interested or in need for a new one. It’s awesome!
My grandfather likes large onions and celery so that is why I slice a few big ones but if you don’t prefer large, just chop them all up. My mom has also been known to throw in random other vegetables to like frozen corn! When you are cooking in crockpot or slow cooker, you can literally add just about any food and it will cook up so tender!
You may also like our easy chicken and dumplings recipe too that my mom makes.
I usually pick whatever stew meat is on sale but just be warned, if you choose a tough cut of meat (ask the butcher if you are unsure they are so helpful at our market), you may want to tenderize the meat prior to cooking. I have a big metal meat tenderizer that I use on just about every meat I cook. I am always scared the meat will be too tough! -ha. Happy Monday friends and let me know if you try our lazy crockpot beef stew! Be sure to check out our other easy recipes on our food page.