Cheesy shepherd’s pie with shredded cheddar cheese is one of my dad and grandfather’s favorite dinners so of course, we cook it all the time.
Sometimes we add shredded cheddar cheese when we want to mix it up a bit from our traditional shepherd’s pie recipe.
This has to be one of the easiest meals on the planet and the cheddar jack cheese is the perfect topping.
How to make Shepherd’s Pie with cheddar cheese
Shepherd’s pie is a family favorite for many families I am sure.
What is shepherd’s pie called with beef?
Shepherd’s pie typically contains lamb but we have always called it Shepherd’s pie even though we make it with ground beef. Any pie made with beef, should be called cottage pie.
Cottage pie sounds so weird to me!
Cheesy Shepherd’s Pie
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 5 potatoes mashed or 1 package instant potatoes
- 1 can corn
- 2 tbsp crushed garlic
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 package shredded cheddar cheese
- Heat oil and garlic in skillet. Once garlic turns slightly brown, add ground beef and cook until browned
- Add 1/2 mashed potatoes to a small 8x8 baking pan spreading across the bottom and then layer corn and beef. Finish top layer with remaining potatoes and season. Add shredded cheese to top.
- Bake 350 for 25 minutes or until cheese is melted and slightly brown.
- Serves 3-4
- Double up recipe to make a 9x11 sized dish
Who doesn’t ground beef, potato and corn mixed with cheese?
Most everyone will love this dish and it’s perfect for serving a large crowd.
Shepherd’s pie is kind of a staple dinner in our family.
When I was younger, both my mom and grandmother had many variations of shepherd’s pie and adding shredded cheddar cheese is a quick simple way to spruce it up.
Nothing has really changed, except we are all just a bit older now! 😉