This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our disclosure here.
Love baked ziti? We sure do! In fact, I made a pan of this last weekend when my grandfather returned home from the hospital and while my mom was still recuperating from her surgery. I think we ate this for 3 days!
Note, if you choose to use fresh basil paste, mix in with ricotta mixture. Otherwise, simply add basil to the top once finished.
- 1 box ziti
- 1 ricotta cheese 14.5 ounce
- 1 can diced tomatoes 14 ounce I used basil/garlic/onion
- 1 jar tomato sauce I used Classico tomato basil
- 1 egg
- 4 tablespoons crushed garlic
- 2 lbs lean ground beef I used 95% lean
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 bag shredded mozzarella cheese
- Salt pepper and fresh basil paste (2 tbsp)
- Heat olive oil and 2 tablespoons garlic on med/low heat. Once garlic is slightly browned, add ground beef and cook until browned
- Mix ricotta, egg, 2 tablespoons basil paste, 2 tablespoons garlic, 1/2 bag of shredded mozzarella and canned diced tomatoes together in a separate dish
- Cook pasta according to directions
- Once the past and ground beef is browned, add drained pasta to the skillet dish with ground beef and gently mix.
- Now pour your ricotta/tomato mixture in the skillet as well and mix all three together
- Once everything is mixed together in the skillet, pour into a 9x13 deep dish baking pan
- Season with salt and pepper
- Pour jar of tomato sauce over the entire top spreading evenly
- Sprinkle remaining mozzarella across the top
- Bake uncovered 375 degrees
- 40 minutes or until golden brown and bubbling on sides
Baked Ziti is the perfect meal if you are feeding many people or simply need left overs for a couple days. It’s quick and easy and always delicious. If you prefer a lasagna instead, be sure to check out our easy crockpot lasagna recipe.