DIY cell phone charging station {tutorial}

We were in desperate need of a cell phone charging station for our kitchen counter but everything I could find online or in stores was either expensive or ugly. I mean really ugly. Getting organized is top on my list at the moment and our kitchen counters needed some closed storage attention. We were fortunate enough to be able to keep most of the items provided by Target for our kitchen photo shoot with Woman’s Day so I decided to convert the bread box they provided into a DIY cell phone charging station.

diy cell phone charging station

A DIY bread box “cell phone” charging station.

bread box diy cell phone charging station

The bread box was a typical bread box, there was no shelf.

diy cell phone charging station

Filled with a bunch of random stuff. Our kitchen counter is the drop zone for everything so this breadbox quickly became the closest item to store all of our random gadgets in.

diy cell phone charging station

I don’t know about you but our electronics and cell phones are constantly on our kitchen counter being charged and one day it hit me, the bread box! The bread box would be a perfect place to store these items out of sight. All that wasted space inside though, how could I make it more functional? Well, I decided to add a shelf. Why not right?

diy cell phone charging station

I used a 1/2″ drill bit to make two holes in the back of the bread box. Because the breadbox has a roll top, I chose to put holes in the very bottom of the bread box so when the bread box is open, the cell phone or ipad charging wires would not interfere with the roll top.

diy cell phone charging station

You can see, I drilled two holes above in the back side of the bread box.

Next you need to make your shelf. Measure each side and mark where you want to drill your holes. I used a 3/16″ drill bit and drilled two holes on the inside of the bread box. The bread box was not very thick so I drilled very slowly, just enough to make a deep enough hole for my support peg.  Do this on both sides, four total holes. I used four support pegs (placed in the holes) to support my 1/4″ piece of craft board (purchased at Michaels Crafts).

diy cell phone charging station

You can use any type of support peg or small shelf bracket. We just happened to have support pegs so that is what I used.

diy cell phone charging station

Put your pegs in the holes.

diy cell phone charging station

I cut my craft board to 14 1/2″ long and it fit perfectly inside the bread box.

diy cell phone charging station

Michaels Crafts sells all sorts of crafting board in various shapes and sizes.

diy cell phone charging station

Yes,  I put a shelf in a bread box. You should have seen the “eye rolling” coming from my dad when he saw me doing this.

Use a level to ensure that your shelf is straight.

Double check.

Now you have a shelf!

diy cell phone charging station

I decided to cut another piece of crafting board for the bottom. I wrapped both pieces of craft board in left over fabric that I had from last summers pillow project. A little hot glue and viola, pretty shelves!

The inside needs to be pretty right?

diy cell phone charging station

You can see how I fed the phone charger through the hole in the back of the bread box.

diy cell phone charging station

The back of the bread box.

diy cell phone charging station

This project took under one hour. I think most of the time was the setup and cleanup.

diy cell phone charging station

Now when I come home, I drop all my things inside the bread box. I used the top of jar cover to keep my keys and other small items in.

diy cell phone charging station

Kind of cute huh? It’s almost as if this bread box was made for the size of an ipad. It fits perfectly on the top shelf. The roll top door doesn’t even it touch it when it closes. Mission accomplished. Closed door pretty counter storage.

diy cell phone charging station

Once the door is closed, you can’t even see what is inside. Although, I like how it looks inside now. This bread box ironically is on clearance right now at Target so if you would like to create a stylish DIY cell phone charging station for your kitchen counter, now is the time to head to Target and purchase the bread box. You can create a DIY cell phone charging station out of just about anything. I’m sure if you stop and think about it, you probably have something in your own home you could drill a couple holes in and convert it to a cell phone or electronics charging station.

Follow us here to keep up with our daily projects and what life is like for us living with four generations under one roof.

Follow Four Generations One Roof on Pinterest

, , , , ,

Responses to DIY cell phone charging station {tutorial}

1. Kim @ Sand & Sisal March 25, 2013 at 8:31 am #

AWESOME idea Jess! our family needs a charging station desperately, we have devices laying around everywhere! The fabric is a great addition too.

• Jessica Bruno March 25, 2013 at 10:00 am #

Thank you! You might need 4 bread boxes with your crew! :)

2. Angela March 25, 2013 at 9:48 am #

Excellent idea!! We need a charging station as well! Thanks for sharing….gonna try this!~~Angela

3. Thistle March 25, 2013 at 10:25 am #

Can I just tell you how cute you are! I LOVE the instagram pictures rock star! You are HILARIOUS!!!!!! Totally pinning (and scheduling) and Facebooking this idea! I need this for my kitchen!

Counting my blessings for you today!
    karianne

4. Kelli March 25, 2013 at 12:25 pm #

I LOVE IT! We mentioned just lately that we needed some kind of station. Yours is great. I also love your kitchen. What a happy place to cook! :) k.

5. Bobbi March 25, 2013 at 12:34 pm #

That is such a great idea, love it! . . . but where are your safety glasses? Never use power tools without them.

• Jessica Bruno March 25, 2013 at 12:43 pm #

Hey Bobbi! I agree, safety glasses always when using power tools! You are right :) Glad you like the project. It was fun and it works great.

6. Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke March 25, 2013 at 8:32 pm #

That’s pretty clever!!

7. Denise March 25, 2013 at 9:25 pm #

I’ve seen this done with fake books, yours has more room. Cool idea! I need to stuff one with my camera chargers.

8. Lisa March 25, 2013 at 10:58 pm #

That is such a great way to repurpose a breadbox! I used an old wooden wine box for a charging station and it has worked out great. I hated the cords all over the place….so much neater now!

9. Heather @At The Picket Fence March 26, 2013 at 9:58 pm #

This is so cool Jessica! You are too clever! Pinning and sharing!

Heather

• Jessica Bruno March 26, 2013 at 10:05 pm #

Thank you Heather!

• Jessica Bruno April 2, 2013 at 3:55 pm #

Hey Heather! I am going through my comments and I’m not sure if I responded back to you? I don’t think I did. I am so sorry. Thanks so much for stopping by and I appreciate your shares :)

10. Karie March 27, 2013 at 9:55 am #

What a great idea! Thanks for sharing I think I might give this a try….Oh and I bet your dad wants one now doesn’t he?!?!

Thanks again!

• Jessica Bruno April 2, 2013 at 3:54 pm #

haha Karie, my dad thinks I am crazy! In fact, his cell phone is from 1980, like the bagged kind. ha. Just kidding but it’s 8 years old and I don’t even think he knows where it is half the time. ha. His generation (well some) could careless about cell phones. I couldn’t live without mine!

11. TidyMom March 28, 2013 at 7:15 pm #

I LOVE this idea Jess!

12. TidyMom March 31, 2013 at 8:56 am #

Thanks for linking up, I featured your post in my wrap up http://tidymom.net/2013/8-creative-ideas-for-home/

Happy Easter!

13. Jenn March 31, 2013 at 3:57 pm #

Such a genius idea! I will have to keep my eye out for a bread box when I am at Goodwill. Thanks so much for sharing. Pinned! :)
    Happy Easter!

14. Krista @thehappyhousie May 30, 2013 at 9:53 pm #

This is such a great idea…we always have stuff charging on our counters ! I picked up a breadbox at a garage sale the other day… just to try your idea:) Thanks for the tutorial!!
    Krista

15. Dagmar July 21, 2013 at 4:02 pm #

Great idea! I made one recently out of a recycled shoe box :)

16. Darci the STEM Mom September 15, 2013 at 9:20 am #

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE….simple, cute…and I already have a bread box! However, what about in an RV? I have no counter space available….Any ideas to take a charging station vertical? would love your ideas!

Darci

• Jessica Bruno September 15, 2013 at 9:29 am #

Thank you :) Is there a way you could mount it on the wall or screw to the under part of a top cabinet?

17. Wendy May 28, 2014 at 5:04 pm #

Love this! We have lots of electronics so adding a power strip to the back of the breadbox so I can charge more than 2 things at once.

18. Cailin Koy June 15, 2014 at 8:37 pm #

Ingenious! Our kitchen is a gadget minefield, I’m totally stealing this idea.

19. Mallory @ Classy Clutter July 29, 2014 at 11:21 pm #

Was this in Good Housekeeping mag??? I SWEAR I saw this today at the doctor’s office! :)