How to make reindeer

My gramps has been working on our handmade christmas decorations for the last 7 months! I am not kidding. The man has been in his workshop everyday for months making reindeer and santa sleighs. One afternoon last month, I took a break from our bathroom renovation project and learned how to make reindeer.  He has quiet the setup in his workshop so needless to say, it’s a pretty cool place to hang out.

how to make reindeer

My gramps has made 75 reindeer so far and is still cutting them out!

how to make reindeer

This is actually a super easy project. The scroll saw was a bit intimidating at first but really easy to use after about 5 minutes of cutting. We started with a 1/2 inch piece of pine and traced the reindeer onto the wood. Once you have your pattern, just start cutting. My gramps got me started by showing me how to start the cuts.

how to make reindeer

Now it’s my turn. You could use this method for ornaments, signs or any handmade christmas decoration.

how to make reindeer

Once my reindeer was cut out, I used mod podge, glitter and silver “glitter blast” spray to pretty up my wooden reindeer. My gramps was disgusted with me because I didn’t stain it. He rolled his eyes and said, “kid, I don’t know about you.”

how to make reindeer

I had some left over fleece fabric from my dog sweater tutorial so I made a no sew blanket for him.

how to make reindeer

Our elf on the shelf has made his debut.

how to make reindeer

I decided that my little guy needed a friend so I cut out another reindeer and blasted her with white crystal glitter.

how to make reindeer

I hope you enjoyed our how to make reindeer tutorial and we have inspired you to make some of your own handmade christmas decorations. If you don’t have a scroll saw, you can always use foam density board (purchased at any craft store) and use a scoring knife to cut out around your pattern. You don’t have to use wood!

LInking up to:

Centsational Girl’s craft party

, , , , , ,

Responses to How to make reindeer

1. Mary@athomeonthebay December 6, 2012 at 12:47 pm #

Those reindeer are super cute and I love that your grandfather helped you with them. Men just don’t understand the whole glitter thing. :D

2. Ashley@AttemptsAtDomestication December 6, 2012 at 3:59 pm #

That grandfather of yours is super handy! Those reindeer turned out so cute! :)

• Jessica Bruno December 6, 2012 at 4:28 pm #

He is sure is Ashely. The man has every tool under the sun :) Some are 100 years old but they work. ha! Thanks for visiting and commenting :)

3. Kim @ Sand & Sisal December 6, 2012 at 7:06 pm #

These are too cute! I can’t believe your g-pa has made so many! That’s awesome! I love your blinged out Rudolph! Hey now, Elf has to arrive in style right?

• Jessica Bruno December 6, 2012 at 8:19 pm #

He’s up to like, 100 now plus a gabillion sleighs. The sleighs are pretty cool. If I have get to it, I’ll do a tutorial :)

4. Kathy December 7, 2012 at 7:22 am #

It’s so great that you get to work with your grandfather like this! Cute project!

5. Jane December 7, 2012 at 7:58 am #

What are you going to do with 75 reindeer?

• Jessica Bruno December 7, 2012 at 8:07 am #

My gramp gives all 9 reindeer pulling a sleigh as gifts to friends and family :)

6. Patty December 8, 2012 at 8:07 pm #

The recipients of your Gramp’s reindeer and sleigh are going to love them. Please tell your Gramp’s if he has an extra set he’s welcome to send them my way! :)

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Is my grandfather old? - Four Generations One Roof - January 18, 2013

[...] We went to two doctor appointments, Michael’s crafts so he could get pom pom noses for his reindeer and a few coffee trips to Dunkin Donuts. In the middle of all this, I  somehow managed to get in [...]