How to build a lattice privacy screen on a budget {tutorial}

Today I am sharing how to build a lattice privacy screen on a budget. Do you have air conditioner units, trash bins or maybe a neighbor that you can’t stand the site of? Thankfully, we like our neighbors (knock on wood) but we have two large air conditioner units that are at the end of my mom’s patio so we decided to make a simple and inexpensive lattice privacy screen.

how to build a lattice privacy screen

Last week I posted our patio makeover and showed you how to repair an old cracked cement patio.  As I mentioned last week, this happens to be my mom’s outdoor space so we are trying to “beautify” it for her . I cannot believe the amount of emails I received asking for a tutorial on how we built the privacy screen. I had already planned posting a tutorial but your sweet emails made me that much more motivated to get it done quickly! I love tutorials that I find online but especially love the visual tutorials, so I decided to create this post using mostly pictures.

CLICK THE ARROWS AT THE TOP TO SCROLL THROUGH THE TUTORIAL {or use your arrow keys on your computer}

, , , ,

Responses to How to build a lattice privacy screen on a budget {tutorial}

1. Kristi @ Addicted 2 Decorating July 22, 2012 at 7:53 pm #

Your lattice screen looks great! In fact, you whole patio looks amazing!

• Jessica July 22, 2012 at 7:57 pm #

Thank you Kristi! Hope you are enjoying your summer :)

2. Melissa @TheHappierHomemaker July 22, 2012 at 9:59 pm #

Jessica-you just made my day! This is a great project and please thank your Dad for giving away his “secrets” and thank you for giving such a thorough breakdown! We have {ahem} neighbors I could do without seeing and are putting in a pool next week so this project is totally on my to-do list now! Thanks again!

Melissa

• Jessica July 23, 2012 at 4:53 pm #

Thank you Melissa :) Good luck with those neighbors!

3. Jaye @ Just Trying to Make Cents of it All July 23, 2012 at 10:52 am #

Wow! First of all, let me just gripe about builders and why they think it’s okay to just plop those horrific (but necessary things) right in the middle of everything!

Second of all – that turned out AWESOME! What a beautiful space you made for your Mom! I’ve seen people butcher “lattice privacy screens” before but you guys did great. Your Dad cracks me up!

On my way over to Sand and Sisal now!

Thanks for the tutorial!

4. Maury @ Life on Mars July 23, 2012 at 4:22 pm #

This looks great! We built a lattice covering for under our house last year and we were not smart enough to buy the pre-painted version. I’m glad you did because that stuff is NO FUN to paint.

• Jessica July 23, 2012 at 4:46 pm #

No kidding, oh that must have stunk painting it! :)

5. Ashley@AttemptsAtDomestication July 24, 2012 at 4:15 pm #

That patio turned out awesome! And I love this screen! Definitely going to have to get my husband to help me make one for our unit outside!

6. Jen August 5, 2012 at 9:29 am #

It looks lovely! Tell your Dad all these people he doesn;t know appreciate him!

7. Sonia March 13, 2013 at 9:53 am #

Such an attractive patio solution! Your tutorial inspires me to camouflage a heat pump that is located right off the deck. Would you be able to tell how the planters are secured on top? What an attractive and functional idea you and Dad created. Thank you!

• Jessica Bruno March 13, 2013 at 11:13 pm #

Hi Sonia, you can screw the containers from the inside (of the container) right to the top of your wooden lattice piece. Just use stainless steel screws so they don’t rust. You may want to use those containers that have the water catch at the bottom b/c they usually come off of the bottom of the planter so you could screw the water catch to the top and then place your planter inside. Hope that made sense :)

8. Matt March 30, 2013 at 8:56 pm #

Please tell your father I say ” Thank you!” for sharing his secrets. I put together the first of two 8′x6′ screens on Friday and mounted it in place today. It looks great and my neighbor even came out to say so. I’m using them to screen off a small area of the yard where we keep our composters.

• Jessica Bruno March 30, 2013 at 9:00 pm #

That is great Matt! I will pass it along to my dad :)

9. Deb April 1, 2013 at 11:03 am #

Do you mind me asking about the slats for the lattice? What did you use for them? It doesn’t look like regular 1 x 4′s from here.

thanks in advance.

• Jessica Bruno April 2, 2013 at 3:48 pm #

Hi Deb, we used 1×4′s for the frame on the lattice. Is that what you are talking about or are you talking about the existing posts on the patio that we attached the lattice frame to?

• Deb April 6, 2013 at 2:58 pm #

I meant in the lattice itself. The 1×4′s I have seen are thicker, like 3/4″ and I was wondering if those are what you used, or did you use something from the trim section that is thinner.

Thanks in advance.

• Jessica Bruno April 6, 2013 at 3:36 pm #

Hi Deb! We bought the lattice already assembled in a big 4′ x 8′ sheet. It’s vinyl lattice sheets.

• Deb April 6, 2013 at 4:22 pm #

Thanks. I see now how you did it.

10. Kim April 27, 2013 at 5:41 pm #

Tell your Dad this was a great find and we really appreciate him sharing! Some daughters don’t have Dad’s nearby for yard makeovers! So we’ll “borrow” yours through the magic of the internet.

11. Corky May 8, 2013 at 9:07 pm #

thanks for posting this..and say thanks to DADS too…. he is helping me get my hubby motivated !

12. Hillary May 9, 2013 at 8:42 am #

Is this just free standing? What keeps it from falling over? Im in Florida and we get some winds that would throw that across the yard! LOL! Just wondering what he attached it to

• Jessica Bruno May 9, 2013 at 9:10 am #

No, it’s screwed to one of the existing support posts for the roof. You can see it in the pictures if you look close :) You would definitely need to screw the privacy screen to something to keep it from falling over. It’s big!

13. Gail May 9, 2013 at 6:36 pm #

Love this project…NO MITER CUTS…It seems most bloggers have a carpenter for a husband..So although the projects are GREAT..we can’t RECREATE this is so do~able for everyone…Thanks!

• Jessica Bruno May 9, 2013 at 6:38 pm #

No miter cuts on this one :) Thanks for stopping by!

14. Jennifer Farsh June 2, 2013 at 8:50 am #

Tell your Dad he is super cute;-) he reminds me of my Dad. Just found your site and I love it! Thank you for sharing your creations!

15. ANABEL July 10, 2013 at 12:20 am #

MY HUSBAND AND ME DID IT WITHOUT LOOKING AT YOUR DADS SECRETS

16. Andrew August 2, 2013 at 7:54 am #

Just wanted to say thank you for posting. I’ve been looking at purchasing vinyl fencing to hide our wood pile and garabge cans and your fence project is not only cheaper but better looking. Great looking patio as well.

• Jessica Bruno August 4, 2013 at 5:21 pm #

Thank you , glad you like it!

• Renee Valdes August 9, 2013 at 8:33 am #

What a fabulous project – and so budget-friendly. Thank you for the inspiration. I’ve posted this to Pinterest/homedepot on the “Garden Party” pinboard.

• Jessica Bruno August 9, 2013 at 8:54 am #

Thank you Renee! Glad you like it and thanks for pinning :)

17. Patti Teeters August 9, 2013 at 10:33 am #

Hi, Jessica. Love your idea and tutorial. Your Dad is a cutey! Thanks to both of you for tutorial. It is exactly what I am looking for, for the west side of my front porch. Nice wind breaker and nice to put some morning glories on. And the price of the project fits my pocket book just right. Have a great time in the new patio area!!

18. Hanna August 15, 2013 at 2:50 pm #

Thanks for this tutorial! Two quick questions for Dad:
    1. Can you explain how you connected the corner? Brackets or just screws?
    2. I need to do this but need 3 panels horizontally (you had just one). How do I connect each panel to one another?
    Thanks ‘Daddio’!
    Hanna

• Jessica Bruno August 15, 2013 at 8:14 pm #

We used screws but you could use corner/L brackets. Just make sure they are for outdoors and will not rust over time :) Good luck!

19. Susan August 30, 2013 at 8:28 pm #

You are so lucky that your dad is around !!!!! My dad was just like him. Your privacy screen came out beautiful.

20. Dana Sutherland September 12, 2013 at 12:42 pm #

This looks great…We have a 35×15 chain link dog kennel that I have been trying for so long to think of something creative and attractive to conceal it with. I think I just found the perfect idea for it. Thank you for posting this. Let your dad know he just helped you help another family!

21. Lil September 16, 2013 at 9:06 pm #

Thank you for the step by step … very helpful. I too have “those neighbors” and maybe this might help my plight (waking up with garbage in my front yard). I will be building 6 of these and maybe they will get a hint.

22. Jennifer February 14, 2014 at 2:51 pm #

This looks great, and you’ve made it so easy! My only question is: how do you prevent it from blowing over? is it attached to the ground or the house somehow, or is it freestanding? thanks in advance for your time!

• Jessica Bruno February 14, 2014 at 3:12 pm #

Thank you Jennifer! The side posts are screwed to the wooden columns (that holds up the roof). It would definitely blow over if it wasn’t attached to something.You can always use cement screws (for outside) if you need to attach it to a cement patio:)

23. Katey February 28, 2014 at 1:11 pm #

Thank you so much for the GREAT ideas love the pictures of your dad an projects . I use to work with my dad on projects so this hit home for sure !

• Jessica Bruno February 28, 2014 at 4:01 pm #

That is great Katey you have done stuff with your dad. Great memories for sure :)

24. Delvalouisia May 8, 2014 at 9:08 pm #

Wonderful tutorial and very clean photos. They help alot. I going to try making a small fence this summer. Thanks So Much! Delvalouisia

25. Reetee June 12, 2014 at 1:43 pm #

My son and I are going to attempt nstalling privacy lattice on our carport,(upper). Need any help you can give. Reetee

26. Donna August 15, 2014 at 1:45 pm #

I was wondering how you all get along. Do any members of the 4 generations clash??? We have 3 generations in my house and the grandpa and the dad clash alot.

• Jessica Bruno August 16, 2014 at 8:03 am #

For the most part we all get along. My husband works over 70 hours a week so he is barely home and if anyone clashes, it’s me and my grandfather. We have moments where we butt heads but mostly, it’s ok ;)

27. Betty819 August 26, 2014 at 6:30 pm #

Does your Dad have a tuitorial on how to build that plant stand on the patio? I need this privacy screen on my patio..as my neighbor’s shrubbery sheds on my patio all the time and makes such a mess.