What a crazy weekend. It was so strange to watch most of the East coast get buried in snow and we got only 6 inches here in Massachusetts. I think the snow Gods were feeling bad for their nasty behavior last year and spared us this time. -ha. Last fall we started the girls teenage bedroom makeover and we are finally wrapping up this project. Today I am sharing pictures of the girls small shared bedroom. They are 15 years old and never in a million years did I think creating a teenage friendly bedroom would be such a project. They are in between an “adult room” but not really “an adult room.” Does that make sense? They didn’t want it too girly/kid looking but didn’t really want it looking like my room. -ha. So a sophisticated, kind of adult looking, neutral room is what we came up with.
Their beds were set up as a bunks for a few years and last year, we took them down as one of them could barely sit up on the top bunk. My dad and brother took them apart while I was out doing errands and when I came home, I said, “oh no, we didn’t get the before pictures!” My dad said, “well, they are not going back up so deal with it.” -ha. I guess that’s what I get for asking them to get the beds apart right? They don’t normally do things that quickly after I ask so I thought I had time. That will teach me to take pictures before I ask them to move things around ;).
Half the room was painted hot pink and the other half was bright blue. When they were 10 years old, that ‘s what they wanted. -ha. They looked back at these pictures a couple weeks ago and said, “why did you paint our room such an ugly color?” I told them, “that was not my doing….that was yours!” -ha.
The carpet was over 10 years old and needed to be replaced.
We decided to sell the old furniture to a family who was in need of a bunk set and replace it with something a bit more feminine.
Bunks always look great when they are set up but once they are apart, they just don’t look right. Both of the girls are tall so their new beds needed to be a bit longer with no footboard. After the room was completely emptied, we had the old carpet ripped out and installed new.
Removed all the old baseboard trim and the heat registers.
The registers were so dirty and disgusting. I was so happy to vacuum them and clean them up. I will share a tutorial on how I painted the old metal register covers soon.
After about 6 hours, we had the room completely gutted and I started painting squares on the wall. I think we painted 20 different colors before we settled on the winner. I will share the paint story in a couple days. Choosing a paint color can be overwhelming and exhausting but I have a few tips to help you save time.
Stay tuned, the full room makeover will be posted this weekend and it’s drastic. Really drastic. My son is now begging to have his room done. I told him he is next on the list. 😉