My mom’s meatball stew crockpot recipe with pasta is adapted from an older Better Homes & Gardens cookbook and is on the lighter side unless you opt for the pasta. This is a great recipe for a chilly Fall night and is delicious paired with baked olive oil and rosemary or garlic bread.
Crockpot Meatball Stew
Vegetable Ideas for Stew
Carrots, celery, onions and spinach are great vegetables in a stew. The meatball stew recipe called for sliced celery but we prefer to chopped.
We also added the spinach towards the end of the cook time as to not wilt the spinach too much.
Meatball Stew Recipe
Mom’s Meatball Stew Crockpot Recipe with Pasta
- 1 small onion chopped
- 3 carrots sliced
- 2 celery ribs chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 pkg. 24 oz frozen fully cooked Italian meatballs thawed
- 1 beef broth carton 32 oz
- 2 cans Italian diced tomatoes undrained (14 1/2 oz.each)
- 2 cups water
- 3/4 cup dry red wine or additional water
- 3/4 cup small pasta
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach
- Grated parmesan cheese
- Place all ingredients in the crockpot except the pasta and spinach. Cover and cook on low until vegetables are tender (about 5-6 hours).
- Stir in pasta and cook covered for about 15-20 minutes on high (or until pasta is tender)
- Discard Bay Leaf and stir in spinach until wilted. Serve with cheese.
Note: we didn’t add all the pasta to the stew as the recipe called for. I don’t eat a lot of pasta so we made it separately and just added a handful to each individual serving.
Without the pasta, the meatball stew is very healthy yet still delicious.
I suppose you could use a wheat or multigrain pasta which is a healthier alternative to regular pasta.
My dad loved the addition of the pasta, even though he is watching his weight, he decided a handful was necessary! -ha. This stew recipe would also be great with turkey meatballs or any other flavored meatball.
The frozen meatballs are a great alternative to homemade meatballs when you are short on time. This is such an easy recipe!
Be sure to check out our other Fall crockpot recipes along with a few other fan favorites, many of which are crockpot stew recipes.