This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our disclosure here.
Crockpot chicken and dumplings is the perfect meal as the prep is easy and fast. Simply add all your ingredients into the crockpot in the morning, set your crockpot timer and go about your day! Chicken that cooks all day on a low temperature in melted butter, cream of chicken soup and seasonings is the best comfort food dinner.
Depending on the crockpot or slow cooker, cooking times may vary but we find that 5 hours on low is best.
We use bisquick to make our dumplings but you can make your own biscuit dough from scratch if you have time. Time is something I wish I had more of!
Mom’s Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings
- 1 crockpot
- 5 chicken breasts washed and pat dry
- 2 cans cream chicken soup
- 1 cup white cooking wine
- 1 stick butter
- 1 32 ou box of chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 cup each Carrots, diced potatoes, mushrooms and diced turnip use more potatoes if you prefer more/less veggies
- Bisquick Mix follow directions on box for dumplings
Instructions : Step by Step
- Add your wine, garlic, chicken broth and butter to the crockpot.Add all of your vegetables and place cut up chicken on top of the vegetables.Mix creamed soup and 1 cup of water and pour over ingredients in your crockpot.Cover and cook on low heat for 5 hours.The last 30 minutes, add your dumpling mix (follow directions on bisquick box) by dropping spoonfuls of mix in the crock pot. You may need to add more chicken broth as it cooks if you like more of a broth.
To ensure your dumplings cook thoroughly and are not gooey, turn the crockpot up to high heat with 45 minutes left to bring to a boil. add your dumplings and leave them covered for 10 minutes on high heat. After 10 minutes, turn heat to low and remove the cover partially to allow steam to escape. You will need to turn you dumplings over with a spoon at this point to cook the underneath side. Season dumplings with italian seasoning once they are done.
I prefer boneless skinless chicken breasts but you could use chicken thighs or shredded chicken as well. The issue I find with chicken thighs are the bones. The chicken tends to fall off the bone very easily and for me, I am not a fan! ha.
We add our potatoes first to the crockpot, then our vegetables and layer the chicken on top. We top with chicken broth or chicken stock, wine and remaining ingredients.
If you prefer more potatoes vs vegetables, that’s fine!
This creamy chicken and dumplings recipe is easy and delicious. It’s a very simple, old school recipe and the cream of chicken soup is what makes it so creamy. You could always substitute with cream of mushroom soup as well.
What started as a hobby, Jessica’s blog now has millions of people visit yearly and while many of the projects and posts look and sound perfect, life hasn’t always been easy. Read Jessica’s story and how overcoming death, divorce and dementia was one of her biggest life lessons to date.