Our all-in-one craft drawer

We are guilty of having craft supplies all over the house in random bins, boxes, cabinets and even under the bed :(. Creating a craft drawer and having a central location for craft supplies was on my to do list last year but never had a chance to organize and weed through the dried up glue, markers and broken crayons. A couple days ago, I decided to clean out one of the drawers in the green dresser below that was loaded with junk and create an all-in-one craft drawer or two.

all-in-one craft drawer

Last fall we moved this beautiful green dresser to our foyer and this is what it looked liked inside.

all-in-one craft drawer

I decided to add bins that I had from around the house as well as a few new “made smart” bins that I found at Home Goods last week.

all-in-one craft drawer

This isn’t really a difficult project, it’s just a matter of emptying out a space and adding storage bins to keep items organized. I do recommend, once your drawer is empty, measure the height, width and depth before you purchase bins. You want to make sure the drawer will close and that the bins fit. Most stores have great return policies but I would double check prior to purchasing.

all-in-one craft drawer

I cleaned out the drawer and disposed of the junk and corralled all the crafting items from around the house. The clear plastic bins with the blue rubber bottom are from Home Goods and are perfect for this kind of organizing project. They have many different color choices and sizes to pick from.

craft drawer organization-2

I shopped our house prior to purchasing any storage containers. This prevents unnecessary purchases and keeps the cost down.

craft drawer organization-3

We have had the pink and blue plastic caddy’s for a couple years and they were disgusting so I washed them on the top rack of the dishwasher and they came out looking brand new. Amazing what a little soap and water will do! ha

craft drawer organization-5

The bottom drawer is an all-in-one craft station for kids paints, glue and other craft items and works out perfectly for my son.

craft drawer organization-7

Before:

all in one craft drawer

It’s so easy to shut the drawer and forget about stuff but I will tell you, I feel so good that this space is clean, decluttered and organized. By corralling all the items in one spot, it’s also decluttered the space where they were before.

craft drawer organization-8

Creating an all-in-one craft drawer is a great way to keep your kids organized as well. My son said, “oh mom, I love that all my stuff is neat and together” We’ll see how long that lasts :).

, , , , , , , ,

Responses to Our all-in-one craft drawer

1. Amy January 12, 2014 at 9:49 pm #

Great idea, it looks fantastic!

2. Brandi @ Nest of Bliss January 13, 2014 at 2:02 pm #

I’ve been on a organizing frenzy lately! I can completely appreciate how you must have felt once everything was in it’s new place. :)

3. Jen January 13, 2014 at 9:54 pm #

So good! Wow, you have really made those drawers work hard! These posts always give me happy tingles! Way to go as always! You have a gift for making organizing look fabulous!

xo!

4. Ashley@AttemptsAtDomestication January 19, 2014 at 11:57 am #

This looks great! I saw those bins at Home Goods last weekend and considered buying them, now I definitely think I should! My junk drawers are getting out of control!

• Jessica Bruno January 19, 2014 at 5:24 pm #

I love these bins and plan on getting some more :) They would be perfect for a junk drawer!

5. Maggie February 24, 2014 at 3:25 pm #

Your craft “dresser” is lovely. Sure makes one want to craft! Did you paint it with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint? I did a similar project with an old dresser we had in an upstairs closet with junk in it. My kids craft area was growing around the house as well. Whenever the kids would ask me for something, I would dread looking for it. My dresser is not as pretty as yours, but there’s no reason I couldn’t paint and shine it up a bit. Thanks for the inspiration of some cute containers. I got some ideas of things that were troubling me.

• Jessica Bruno February 24, 2014 at 6:57 pm #

The dresser is from Home Goods. I bought it on clearance a couple years ago. It works out perfectly for craft storage. Glad you got some ideas! :)

6. lesley March 27, 2014 at 3:52 pm #

awesome….but not nearly big enough!!! haha