No Sew DIY White Burlap Curtains

I recently decided to make another pair of no sew DIY burlap curtains for our foyer. Last week I started emptying out the foyer and making way for spring and summer decor. I loved the the sand colored burlap curtains so much that I made for our family room that I decided to purchase white burlap and embellish with twisted sisal roping.

diy no sew burlap curtains

no sew diy white burlap curtains

This past weekend, we removed everything and I began painting the white shingles a light gray color. I removed all the hardware and re-hung rods as close to the ceiling as possible.

no sew diy burlap curtains

These burlap curtains were ridiculously easy and inexpensive to make. Eight dollars a panel to be exact! Be sure to check out our tutorial on how to make these no sew burlap curtains. The tutorial link is at the bottom of the post. These curtains are white burlap with twisted sisal roping as a fun polka dot embellishment that I think coordinates nicely with the stone walls.

no sew diy burlap curtains

I used stitch witchery to fold a 5 inch hem along the top and a 4″ hem along the bottom. I left the sides “as is” because I wanted the fray look. You can hem the sides about 1 inch if you prefer. I used 3.5 yards of fabric per panel. The stitch witchery is perfect for no sew projects and irons on easily.

no sew diy burlap curtains

The twisted sisal roping was a last minute thought. I had some left over sisal roping from our DIY candle holder project so I decided to create circles and glued them randomly on the curtain panels. You can see below, this was a very simple process.

no sew diy burlap curtains

The key to wrapping the sisal and keeping it tight is to wrap it first into a circle and then take your glue gun and glue every inch or two. Be sure to glue the ends so they do not fray. I hot glued these guys to the curtain panels after I hung them. So simple! Here is the DIY candle holder that I shared with you last week.

no sew diy burlap curtains

Here is another shot with the lantern. I made a seat cushion with the remaining fabric from our HGTV pillow and zipper project from a few weeks ago. I love how the pillow fabric and burlap look together.

no sew diy burlap curtains

Here is our family room with the sand colored burlap curtains I made.

coastal cottage family room

No sew DIY burlap curtains are such an easy and inexpensive way to add texture to a room while allowing the natural light to filter through. Do you see our little red DIY planter chair on the other side of the glass? Strategically placed right? {smiling} I am still working on the rest of the space and hope to share the entire makeover soon!

Love these burlap curtains? Be sure to check out our full tutorial on how to make these using stitch witchery.

Looking for a DIY curtain rod tutorial, check this one out!

, , , , , , ,

Responses to No Sew DIY White Burlap Curtains

1. Angela May 7, 2013 at 8:22 am #

Your space is looking fabulous! Love the white burlap for summer!!! Can’t wait to see it all done!~~Angela

2. kristin May 7, 2013 at 12:22 pm #

The curtains are just gorgeous!!!! I don’t think I have ever seen white burlap and I am loving it!!!
    XO
    Kristin

• Jessica Bruno May 7, 2013 at 2:24 pm #

I don’t think it’s common but I was happy to find it at our local Joann’s :)

3. Rachel May 7, 2013 at 2:09 pm #

I LOVE the white burlap! Did you get it at Michael’s too?

4. Lauren @momhomeguide May 7, 2013 at 2:46 pm #

Very cute! I love burlap! I recently made a burlap table runner (that I embellished with ribbon and felt craft buttons) for my home’s very long kitchen table. I liked the project so much that I made another one as a gift for today’s teacher appreciation luncheon at my kids’ school. The school nurse won the table runner and loves it!

5. Sandra May 7, 2013 at 8:56 pm #

These are awesome. Great job!
    Sandra

6. Danielle May 7, 2013 at 9:03 pm #

Very sweet!

7. ValenzMom a/k/a Helen May 8, 2013 at 10:10 am #

I’ve never seen white burlap either. It is very pretty! I really love the sisal rope circles you embellished the curtains with, too. So clever! We’re moving at the end of the month and I was already considering using burlap to make curtains for our new living room – now you’ve got me thinking about looking for white instead. Decisions, decisions!

8. colette May 8, 2013 at 11:55 am #

I am in the process of making burlap curtains per your tutorial. I just have one question… how do you get rid of the burlap smell? Like you, we have a lot of windows to cover and the smell is pretty overwhelming. I have heard that leaving them outside for a few days may work… have you tried that? Also, how do you get them to lay so nicely (not “poofy” at the bottom)? Thanks!!

• Jessica Bruno May 9, 2013 at 12:52 pm #

I actually spray water on the entire piece of burlap and then iron (set on high). That really helps get rid of the smell. For me anyway. I have 10 panels hanging in my family room (with burlap) and the smell was gone after one day but I sprayed them with water and ironed immediately. I use clothes pins and pin the insides (at the top near the rod) and spray lightly with water (they will dry by the next day and remove the pins). The water and pins together held over night, create a nice crease at the top which makes them hang nicely at the bottom. Good luck and send me some pictures if you make some!

9. Eileen May 8, 2013 at 5:15 pm #

Love these Jessica- great job!

Do you have any idea if burlap is considered a good outdoor curtain fabric? I have been looking for a cost-effective solution for our patio and wonder if burlap is the way to go!

• Jessica Bruno May 9, 2013 at 12:49 pm #

Hi, I don’t think burlap would be that great outside. Although, it’s light weight, it would probably dry quickly. It’s very inexpensive so worst case you toss it if you don’t like it :)

10. Brenda May 9, 2013 at 12:38 pm #

I love the curtains! Great idea! Can you tell me about the basket with the mirrored tray? That is a great idea. How did you do this?

Thanks so much!

• Jessica Bruno May 9, 2013 at 12:46 pm #

Hi, the basket is from Home Goods and I just placed a bucket (upside down) inside the basket and placed the tray on top. The tray is from Target and they are on clearance right now! :)

11. Kelly @ Eclectically Vintage May 9, 2013 at 2:47 pm #

You had me at no sew – these are fabulous! Sharing on my FB page right now!
    Kelly

12. Laura @ Finding Home May 9, 2013 at 9:49 pm #

Love these – too cute – pinning too!!! Take care, Laura

13. Melissa May 9, 2013 at 9:56 pm #

Oh my! I love your burlap curtains!!!! I keep telling the hubs how I want to to paint a yellow and white chevron design on burlap and he thinks I’m crazy. He’s never seen burlap curtains before (and to be honest, neither have I) but he will LOVE this! Thank you, thank you, thank you a million times over for this post! Now I have to convince him to go with ebony stained concrete floors, eek! Even I am worried about this, any thoughts?

• Melissa May 9, 2013 at 10:00 pm #

Oh, and I forgot to mention, we are going with yellow, grey, white, and black in our master, exactly the colors of your throw pillows in the family room.

• Jessica Bruno May 14, 2013 at 7:46 pm #

Sounds like it is going to be a beautiful room! Send pics when it’s finished :)

14. Michelle May 19, 2013 at 1:00 am #

These are fabulous! How tall are your ceilings? Thank you!

15. Raejean Klopfenstein June 2, 2013 at 5:42 pm #

What about cleaning the curtains…I don’t think you can wash burlap, right…Thats probably my big question…Thank You

• Jessica Bruno June 2, 2013 at 9:33 pm #

You can’t wash them they will fall apart. I vacuum mine with the attachment and hose. I suppose you could have them dry cleaned but honestly, they are so inexpensive to make that after a couple years if they are not looking great, I’ll make new ones. Mine have been hanging for over a year now and they are perfect. They haven’t even faded from the sun which is amazing considering they get full sun all day long.

• Jessica Bruno June 2, 2013 at 9:35 pm #

PS. The burlap curtains in my family room have been hanging for a year +, not these :)

16. Kelly June 11, 2013 at 2:45 pm #

Wow! I cannot wait to do this in my family room!!! :) Thank you so much!

17. Zoe June 26, 2013 at 9:19 pm #

I love these curtains! Thanks for the post :) I was also wondering where you got your rug from? I love the color and the geometric design!

18. Beverly Hayes July 10, 2013 at 7:25 pm #

Where did you get the white burlap? I was checking online but there are so many different shades of white.Thank you. I am glad I found your blog!

19. Stephanie August 16, 2013 at 10:37 am #

Love the color on the wall in your living room. Would you be willing to share what the brand of paint and color are?

20. Cathy Shelley October 19, 2013 at 4:03 am #

Do you think I would be able to dye the white burlap to match my bedspread (sage)?

21. Lauren May 19, 2014 at 9:28 am #

Hi Jessica, thanks so much for posting this…I am hoping to make burlap curtains for 10 or more windows in my home and your post is super helpful. I am a little worried that the fibers in the fabric will always make my dark hardwood floors look dirty. Have you had any experience with that? Maybe you used a specific type of burlap fabric that doesn’t cause as much of a mess? When I used burlap recently as table runners it left a bit of a mess. I am about to buy my materials and would love to hear what you have to say. Thanks in advance!

-Lauren

• Jessica Bruno May 19, 2014 at 9:43 am #

Hi, I haven’t had any issues with it fraying to point where it makes a mess but yes, burlap can make a mess. I did lightly spray my burlap (lay on floor) and then iron so that may have helped the fraying. I don’t have hardwoods either in that room but the carpet is very light and I have never noticed a dusty burlap mess. I know what you mean though, when you cut it, it does make a mess. The only thing I may suggest to help prevent is to spray and iron and then hem your edges (sew) or use the stitch witchery like I did so the ends don’t fray. Hope that helps and good luck :)

• Lauren May 19, 2014 at 9:49 am #

Thank you SO much. Your quick response is so much appreciated. My husband will be very happy with these! I will try to send you a picture once it is done. Approximately how many yards of fabric do you think you needed for all 10 of your windows? Have a great day.

-Lauren