DIY multipurpose mudroom reveal

The conversion of our “walk through/transitional” room into a multipurpose mudroom and reading area is finished. Yay! Well, it’s as finished as it’s going to get for now. This winter, I will convert the wall with the hooks into storage lockers with barn doors but I need my dad’s help for that. I think it will be a great winter project! He thinks NOT.

diy multipurpose mudroom

multitasking mudroom with coat hooks

Before:

mudroom before

Progress:

multipurpose mudroom

After:

DIY multipurpose mudroom

Do you have a room like this? A room that serves no purpose and you wish you had another space but think you don’t have the room for it? It’s so easy to think of a mudroom as a traditional space right as you walk into your home that has the walls & flooring to define the space. Do you know what I mean? This room is right as you walk into our house from the driveway and use to be the old family room (about 12 years ago) and it’s bigger than the traditional mudroom and that is where my brain has been struggling. Tearing down and adding walls  would require my dad’s help and he told me to go away when I proposed that so for now, I’m using what I’ve got and attempting to make it work! This space is still a “walk through” room between the kitchen and family room except now, it serves a useful purpose. Additional coat and shoe storage as well as a reading area.

This is the view from the garage/foyer door (looking into the kitchen) before,

mudroom view from garage/foyer door before

After,

DIY multipurpose mudroom

Sorry, I had to hide our Christmas tree behind that big yellow graphic thingy. More on the early Christmas tree later. It’s kind of strange though having a tree up in early October!

I added some bar height stools to the pennisula area as well as a shelf over the chest of drawers which is our craft storage area. I wanted to incorporate an equestrian theme along with the fall colors and decor. Isn’t the navy equestrian pillow adorable from Target’s new Threshold line? I think it adds a fun pop of color to the brown leather chair. It’s a great place to cozy up with a book.

DIY multipurpose mudroom

I love the black herringbone picture frame from Target. I think the picture of my step daughter showing our pony Tag, looks great in it! This picture was taken many years ago when she was 5. I cannot believe how much time has gone by. Where does the time go?

DIY multipurpose mudroom

I LOVE this picture frame. Thank you Target :).

These are the barn closet doors that my dad and I made last September. This was one of our first projects we posted on the blog. You can see how we converted this boring bookcase by adding shelving and diy doors here and here. By adding the coat hooks outside on the wall, this frees up the space behind these doors for additional storage. I am hoping to add shelving inside one of these days.

DIY multipurpose mudroom

My goal was to incorporate this room into the family room so I added  board and batten and painted the walls white dove and wythe blue, the same color as the family room.  Our newly repurposed toy box now serves as our shoe storage area.

DIY multipurpose mudroom

The window set me back a couple weeks. It’s awkward shape and lack of character made my brain hurt. I tried a roman shade and it didn’t look right and I couldn’t use panel drapery as they would hang over the hooks. Thankfully after texting back and forth with my friend Kim from Sand and Sisal she said, “oh I love the baby board and batten”. That made me laugh! I added a piece of 1×10 pine to the top of the window and added trim molding around the edges as well as some thin pieces of pine to create a “baby” board and batten look. Sorry Kim, I’ll use that term forever now.

DIY multipurpose mudroom

Garth is the newest four legged member of our family. The spot right in front of the door happens to be one of his favorites.

DIY multipurpose mudroom

He also has been known to steal one or two of those little o’l pumpkins on the ottoman as well. I love the details on the navy pillow.

A little play time.

DIY multipurpose mudroom

I used my outdoor rug as the first layer and added a cotton throw rug on top to create some additional contrast on the floor. I think one of my upcoming diy projects will be installing hardwood flooring in this room and the adjoining family room. Do you know how much money you can save by installing it yourself? It’s insane the amount people charge to install it.

DIY multipurpose mudroom

I am pretty happy to have this entire wall dedicated to coat and shoe storage. It’s not your traditional mudroom but when you don’t have a mudroom and have a large open wall, this is the solution! This room serves as a reading area, craft storage area, seating area at the peninsula and an area for coats and shoe storage. How about you, have you created a diy mudroom area in your home?

Disclaimer: Target provided some of the home decor items in this post. All opinions are mine.

Check out our board and batten tutorial, DIY barn closet door tutorial and our DIY shoe storage tutorial.

Do you follow me on pinterest? You can also subscribe to our RSS feed and get updates a couple times a week :).

, ,

Responses to DIY multipurpose mudroom reveal

1. Janel@nelliebellie October 12, 2012 at 8:27 am #

This is lovely!! Just fabulous! Love the board and batten..what a great addition! So gorgeous!

2. Cheryl @ The Creative Me and My McG October 12, 2012 at 9:04 am #

the room is awesome! so jealous – I have only a small entryway, would love to have this space in my home! so much lighter and brighter than the before pic – and I LOVE the baby board and batten! Great Job!

• Jessica Bruno October 12, 2012 at 5:19 pm #

Thank you Cheryl. I’m liking the baby board and batten also :)

3. Jessica @ HomewithBaxter October 12, 2012 at 9:22 am #

It came out beautiful! I love the idea of the baby board and batten over the window and those barn doors are to die for!

4. Tara October 12, 2012 at 9:27 am #

Absolutely beautiful!! Love it :)

5. Kim @ Sand & Sisal October 12, 2012 at 11:05 am #

I LOVE IT!!! It all turned out so beautiful and how nice you’ve created the flow of the adjoining rooms. (And yes, the baby board & batten is perfect!)
    ;)

6. Laura @ House Of Joyful Noise October 12, 2012 at 1:08 pm #

Beautiful job, as always, Jessica!
    I am very much looking forward to seeing how you convert the wall with hooks into storage lockers with barn doors this winter. But it looks fabulous as is, already. You really made the most of this walk-through room! I’d venture to guess some family members will be stopping to enjoy the room, rest, and perhaps read a book for awhile now, before mosey-ing on. Garth seems to have the right idea!

• Jessica Bruno October 12, 2012 at 5:15 pm #

Thank you Laura. I’m interested to see how we do it as well! ha. Hope you have a great weekend!

7. Ashley@AttemptsAtDomestication October 12, 2012 at 3:07 pm #

This looks great! I love the board and batten and how bright and homey it looks right when you walk in! Way to make a non-traditional space work!

8. Laura from The Apron blog October 12, 2012 at 4:14 pm #

This looks awesome. Great work, Jessica!

9. Stacy October 12, 2012 at 7:39 pm #

What a beautiful room! Very inspiring, thank you

10. Nicole Shah October 13, 2012 at 7:25 am #

It turned out gorgeous Jessica! Great job!

11. Danielle October 13, 2012 at 8:16 am #

Jessica, it looks fantastic. I wish we had a room like that! When you come into our house you are directly met by the stairs as it is a raised ranch. I love what you did with the space and that you have a reading area too. The pictures look fantastic!

12. Heidi October 13, 2012 at 9:37 am #

Wow! Impressive what you guys in America call a “mudroom”. I think it’s a lovely room and I envy you for it as I have only a small entryway. My favourite in this room is the chest of drawers!
    Heidi (from Switzerland – no joke)

• Jessica Bruno October 15, 2012 at 8:48 pm #

Thank you. I love the chest of drawers also. It has great storage!

13. Nancy @ Sea Rose Cottage October 13, 2012 at 12:48 pm #

Love the color and the “baby board and batten” –too funny! The lanterns are great. It is the warmest and coziest mudroom I have seen! You have done a wonderful job with a very challenging space! We had a “transition” room with 6 doors in it (and one window!) that was a pass-through to the only bathroom on that floor of the house. Until we could remodel, it worked well as an office.

• Jessica Bruno October 15, 2012 at 8:47 pm #

6 doors! Oh my, I would have cried! ha. Thanks Nancy so much for you sweet words. Hope all is well!

14. irene October 13, 2012 at 12:59 pm #

looks great jess – love the new puppy! congrats on your feature as well

• Jessica Bruno October 15, 2012 at 8:47 pm #

Thanks Irene! How are you ? Hope all is well!

15. Lourdes October 13, 2012 at 4:11 pm #

Fantastic! I love how you have all the necessary things for a mudroom yet it is still open and airy! It’s beautiful! BTW, Garth is adorable!

• Jessica Bruno October 15, 2012 at 8:46 pm #

Thank you LOurdes! We think Garth is pretty cute to :)

16. Mary Beth @ Cupcakes and Crinoline October 14, 2012 at 11:50 am #

Gorgeous makeover….I love absolutely everything about this room!

17. Ashley October 14, 2012 at 4:26 pm #

what an awesome room! I’d love one of these : )

18. Anne October 14, 2012 at 5:45 pm #

Fabulous job! I really love everything you’ve done – and that aqua dresser is awesome!!

19. Taryn @ Design, Dining + Diapers October 15, 2012 at 12:42 am #

Jessica! I just can’t believe how fast you get projects done, this amazes me! The wood work, molding and the color are gorgeous. Do you want to come over and help me transform my house hehe ;)

• Jessica Bruno October 15, 2012 at 8:44 pm #

haha you are funny Taryn! Thanks so much your kind words :)

20. Jane October 15, 2012 at 2:27 am #

This room is gorgeous! I would leave it as it is. It looks like it came out if a magazine and serves all the purposes you wanted.

All I can say is WOW!!!

21. Karah @ thespacebetweenblog October 15, 2012 at 8:55 am #

I love, love, love this!!! So stinkin’ awesome … all the way around!!

• Jessica Bruno October 15, 2012 at 8:42 pm #

You are cracking me up with the “stinkin awesome” :) Love that! Thanks so much for your sweet words :)

22. Clydia October 15, 2012 at 9:48 am #

WOW! The transformation is awesome! Totally magazine worthy!!

23. Gwen October 15, 2012 at 11:49 am #

I LOVE it… It’s so fresh and clean looking!

24. Steph @ The Silly Pearl October 15, 2012 at 9:11 pm #

Oh wow! I am in such awe…so beautiful, Jessica!

25. Megan October 15, 2012 at 9:12 pm #

Such a gorgeous space!! I love your dog too. :) Megan

26. tabatha stimpso October 16, 2012 at 10:24 pm #

where did you get those wall sconces??!!!!! i love this look!!!

27. Kelly @ Eclectically Vintage October 17, 2012 at 2:01 pm #

I think I’m in love! What a great way to makeover wasted space – and I NEED my mudroom!

Love your crate storage and those sconces and of course who could forget the baby board & batten!

You rocked it!
    Kelly

• Jessica Bruno October 22, 2012 at 7:42 pm #

Thanks Kelly for stopping by and your sweet comments on our room :)

28. Bonnie and Trish @ Uncommon October 18, 2012 at 4:25 pm #

Love it Jessica!!! Turned out amazing!! beautiful details girl!!

29. ColleenwithMurals&More October 20, 2012 at 8:53 pm #

Jessica, you are so dang cute! Love, love, love the room . . . and those barn doors! Awesome.

We have to ‘talk’ some time. I had 4 generations for a bit. Um . . . we can talk ;)

btw, is Garth a bull mastiff? We had two and LOVED them! Best dogs ever. Unfortunately our last one had to be put down a few weeks after my husband passed. Enjoy your new baby ♥

• Jessica Bruno October 22, 2012 at 7:39 pm #

Hi Colleen! Thank you, yes we should definitely compare notes! ha. Yes, garth is a bull mastiff. We just got him . So sorry to hear about your bull mastiff :( Thanks for stopping by and talk to you soon!

30. malia October 20, 2012 at 11:18 pm #

gorgeous!

31. Judy October 21, 2012 at 9:06 pm #

Amazing job. What a great use of space. I love everything about it. I would love for you to link this up to my party that I host each week starting Tuesday nights at 8pm EST. Hope to see you there.

32. Heather October 28, 2012 at 4:01 pm #

I always love to see your power tool action shots Jessica!! This turned out so amazing!! As do all your decorating and room makeovers!!! The board and batten is awesome – like you :D

33. Jessica @ Dear Emmeline October 30, 2012 at 12:42 pm #

gorgeous!

34. Gretchen November 8, 2012 at 7:43 pm #

Hi. I also love everything about the space. Especially love the colors, natural light and freshness. I am curious if it is the entrance to your home? Is that your front door? What are your thoughts on if I were to turn a never used living room dining room, that is one large rectangle, into a study/ mudroom? It is the first room when you enter our home though. Wasted space.

• Jessica Bruno November 8, 2012 at 8:00 pm #

Thank you! This is actually our 2nd entrance. The house has two front entrances. This is (was) a room off the garage/side foyer and use to be the “old” family room 20 years ago. Sounds similar to what you have! I say do it! I am a firm believer in “living” in your home and making it work for you. Go for it :)

35. Heather January 16, 2013 at 3:01 pm #

Jessica,

This mudroom is amazing! I just found your site through Iheartorganizing.blogspot.com, and I am so happy I did. Where did you get the wire bins that are hanging on the wall? I am looking for something exactly like that to hold our hats and gloves.

Thanks!
    Heather from SmallFamilyBigWorld.com

• Jessica Bruno January 16, 2013 at 3:06 pm #

Thank you so much Heather! I got the baskets in either Marshalls or TJMax. I cannot remember but they were fairly inexpensive at $7 or $8 each :) Thanks for stopping by!

36. Rachel January 16, 2013 at 4:38 pm #

This-looks-amazing. Seriously. I said it over at I Heart Organizing, and I’m saying it here, too. I am beyond in love with this room. Can I just come over and live in it? Haha. And I’m glad you like the horse pillow from Target!! I laid eyes on it months ago and I wanted it so-bad. But we’ve been saving up for some other stuff, so I let it go. *Sniff. I’ll have to see if they still have it, because seeing it on that chair makes me want to go back and buy it immediately.

• Jessica Bruno January 16, 2013 at 4:41 pm #

Thank you Rachel! You made me laugh with your “sniff”! ha. Thanks for stopping by and leaving such a sweet comment, much appreciated :) Have a good night and good luck with the pillow.

37. Sara January 17, 2013 at 3:42 pm #

Found this through iheartorganizing.blogspot.com and I LOVE the wall lanterns — where are they from? Looks beautiful!

• Jessica Bruno January 17, 2013 at 4:47 pm #

Thank you! The lanterns are from Pier 1 Imports :)

38. Leah January 20, 2013 at 8:51 am #

I love the room and was wondering where you got those super cute hanging wire baskets?

• Jessica Bruno January 21, 2013 at 5:50 pm #

Hi, thank you so much! I got the baskets in either Marshalls or TJmaxx. I cannot remember which store but I know they carry them. Good luck in your search. Home Goods may also have them :)

39. michelle January 23, 2013 at 1:53 pm #

Beautiful! We don’t have a mudroom either. The old living room of the house, which is teeny, definitely could use a makeover like this. Its a glorified hallway really and wasted space. Will be showing hubs your room and hoping for the best. :-)

40. Katie bricker January 24, 2013 at 8:36 pm #

Where did you get your hanging laterns?

41. Kim January 30, 2013 at 12:15 pm #

Hi Jessica! Great room…I’m LOVING the chest of drawers! did you refinish them yourself? if so, do you know what the color is? It’s great, and i’d love a similar look for a piece i want in my entryway!

• Jessica Bruno January 30, 2013 at 12:17 pm #

Hi, thanks so much! The chest is from Home Goods. It’s such a great piece and I got it on clearance which was even better! It’s a green/blue color.

42. Megan February 16, 2013 at 2:41 am #

This room is beautiful. You are so creative and even more – you actually go and do things with your creativity! I just have one question – where did you get that woven basket with handles on the floor by the door? I think you have it pictures with pillows here. I’d love to find something like that. Thanks!

• Jessica Bruno February 18, 2013 at 5:52 pm #

Hi Megan! Thank you :) The basket is from Home Goods!

43. Stacey March 18, 2013 at 3:37 pm #

Can you tell me where you got those great wire baskets hanging on the wall? Just what I’m looking for for our mudroom.

• Jessica Bruno March 19, 2013 at 2:32 pm #

Hi, I got the baskets in Home Goods, Tjmaxx or Marshalls, can’t remember which one.

44. Talysa April 15, 2014 at 10:01 am #

Would love to know the name of the wall color you used here. Love it.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Our Christmas vignette - Four Generations One Roof - December 10, 2012

[...] the fall, I added the shelf above the chest of drawers and decided to swap out the equestrian artwork for this empty silver [...]

2. Our modern cottage kitchen {makeover} - Four Generations One Roof - January 30, 2013

[...] is a view from the newly installed french door near the dining room looking into our mudroom and sitting [...]

3. DIY shoe storage - Four Generations One Roof - March 24, 2013

[...] now an organized diy shoe storage area that I think is pretty cute. I plan on keeping this in the multi purpose mudroom that is just about finished. I’m struggling with the odd shaped window in the room and [...]