How to sew a pillow {you did what with a skirt #shesentmewhat}

Today I am sharing how to sew a pillow but not without sharing a little background first on this project. A few weeks ago I was contacted by my friend Jen at Jen Rizzo, asking if I would like to participate in a fun “she sent me what?” blog hop party. At first, I was like, “you want me to do what?” She wanted me, along with 20 other bloggers to head to our local thrift store and purchase a random inexpensive item and mail it to another blogger. If you are coming from Uncommon Slice of Suburbia, welcome! Kristen sent me a beauty to work with ;).

how to sew a pillow {you did what with a skirt-1-2

Once I found out who I had to ship my thrifty find to, I knew it was time to have some fun:). Keep reading, you will see if I tortured her or not with the item I sent her. My item arrived from Kristin at My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia and I was pleasantly surprised and a bit relieved to see a beautifully patterned orange skirt.

LOVED her adorable stationary she sent me with the sweetest note. She is a true rockstar..….

how to sew a pillow

She could have tortured me with some insane looking thrifty find, but she was kind!  My job, to now use this skirt to create something for our home. At first I was thinking, hmmm, maybe I could wear this but it was to big so a new pillow cover was what I decided to use the skirt for. Don’t forget, clothing can be cut and transformed into something beautiful.

how to sew a pillow

I cut the skirt apart, essentially removing the edges and creating a square. Pretend it’s just fabric you bought at your local fabric store.

how to sew a pillow

Once the fabric was cut, I placed the two square pieces on top of each other (the orange sides touching) and sewed a small hem around 3 sides leaving one side open so I could slide in a throw pillow.

how to sew a pillow

I added a christmas throw pillow inside my newly created pillow cover and realized, I didn’t have a zipper to close up my pillow cover! I decided to use sew on Velcro that worked perfectly!

how to sew a pillowIf sewing a zipper intimidates you, don’t worry, sew on velcro works great. I mean, it’s not professional by any stretch of the imagination but I am not a professional seamstress and never will be. Just be sure to sew a small hem on the fabric where you will be adding the velcro. Sew them hem first, then sew on the velcro. This way, once the velcro is sealed, your edge will look nice. As you can see in the image above, I forgot to sew my hem first and had to rip out all of my stitches on the velcro and then add my hem :(.

how to sew a pillow {you did what with a skirt-2

There you have it, a fun cute pillow that fits perfectly on our desk chair in the study.

how to sew a pillow {you did what with a skirt-3

So now that you know how to rip apart a skirt and how to sew a pillow, lets head over to see what I sent Beth from Home Stories A to Z. Do you think I was naughty or nice? It’s a beauty!

how to sew a pillow

Here is the entire list from start to finish of all the participating bloggers!

Jennifer Rizzo
Thistlewood Farms
Serendipity Refined
At the Picket Fence
Not Just a Housewife

Responses to How to sew a pillow {you did what with a skirt #shesentmewhat}

1. Jennifer Rizzo March 25, 2014 at 8:29 am #

It turned out super cute Jessica! And it goes perfect in that space!Thanks you so much for being a part of the party!

2. Robin @ Redo It Yourself Inspirations March 25, 2014 at 9:15 am #

That is a fun and amazing activity! You did a great job creating the pillow. It looks fabulous. Now I want to see what everyone received and what they created!

3. Laura @ Finding Home March 25, 2014 at 9:16 am #

Love it = and it is perfect at your desk!

4. mary@athomeonthebay March 25, 2014 at 9:38 am #

Velcro is a great idea! I love this pillow on your cow hide chair … so cool.

5. Courtney March 25, 2014 at 9:39 am #

Love your pillow- cute idea and way to re-use the fabric! xo

6. Beth@HomeStoriesAtoZ March 25, 2014 at 10:01 am #

Skirt to pillow! I like it :).

7. Thistle March 25, 2014 at 10:18 am #

Jess,

I love that pillow….but seriously….the chair? And the sign on the wall in the study? I think you need to upcycle that to me. :)

:) me

8. Kristin March 25, 2014 at 10:20 am #

The pillow turned out just beautiful!!!! Love the vibrant color in your office, glad I was nice :)
    XO
    Kristin

9. Stacy Risenmay March 25, 2014 at 10:39 am #

That fabric is pretty! And I love your pillow :)

10. Angela March 25, 2014 at 11:12 am #

Love the pillow! Thrift store clothes = fabric. Excellent!

11. Funky Junk Interiors March 25, 2014 at 11:17 am #

That pillow looks like it was meant to be in your home! Beautifully done!

12. marie March 25, 2014 at 11:28 am #

Such a fun challenge! That skirt looks great as a pillow!!

13. Kimberly ~ SerendipityRefined March 25, 2014 at 11:36 am #

That skirt is SOOO much happier as a pillow! It fits in perfectly with your LOVE sign!

14. Charlotte March 25, 2014 at 12:05 pm #

Great idea …..Makes me wanna clean out my closet and make some pillows….

15. Melissa Michaels March 25, 2014 at 1:25 pm #

Adorable, Jessica! Such a sweet little pillow for a desk chair :) xoxo Melissa

16. Kelly @ Eclectically Vintage March 25, 2014 at 2:52 pm #

Every cow hide chair deserves a little pizazz!
    Kelly

17. ashley @ the handmade home March 25, 2014 at 10:38 pm #

This is so great! I would not have known what to do but I love how you put it with the cowhide and the stripes! So fun for spring! ;}

18. Debra @ MsMoozys Open House March 26, 2014 at 9:22 am #

That was perfect, thanks for sharing. :-)

19. Teddee Grace March 26, 2014 at 7:28 pm #

Weren’t you lucky it was too big! Clever use of the fabric.

20. Ashley@AttemptsAtDomestication March 28, 2014 at 11:57 am #

Clever! That is cute fabric!