Our summer covered porch {makeover}

We had beautiful weather this weekend. My brother and I grilled a late Mother’s Day dinner for everyone on Saturday night and the kids enjoyed the first weekend of the pool being open. I finished setting up our summer covered porch and hanging our new outdoor curtains. I have wanted outdoor curtains for this space for the past couple years but never made the purchase. This year I decided I would make some but found these online for a fabulous price!

our summer covered porch

Before:

our summer covered porch

After:

our summer covered porch

I purchased six 96″ outdoor sheers from Wayfair for $24 each. I got lucky and they were on sale. I made the outdoor curtain rod for under $20. Be sure to checkout our DIY curtain rod and how I made it. The electricians in the world will roll their eyes when they see how I made our rod but it saved me over $200! Because outdoor rods need to be weather resistant and rust proof, they are costly. I love how the grommet top curtains and industrial style rod coordinate together.

our summer covered porch

Before:

our summer covered porch

After:

covered porch and pool-2

I shopped our house for most of the decorative items while adding pink and white annuals that we purchased a couple weeks ago.  The rug is from our dining room which is an indoor/outdoor rug from Pottery Barn purchased last year.

covered porch and pool-3

I love how the pink and blue coordinate together. Do you see the birds nest in upper corner? Every year, we end up with a nest or two in this porch.

covered porch and pool-5

covered porch and pool-7

I had all I could do to not eat all of the watermelon while taking these pictures. My son kept asking, are you done taking the pictures!?

covered porch and pool-8

I think the addition of the outdoor curtains give our covered porch a more finished look. You can see our summer covered porch last year with no outdoor curtains to see the comparison. I definitely prefer the outdoor curtains as does my mom :).

PS. the watermelon was delicious!

, , , , , , ,

Responses to Our summer covered porch {makeover}

1. Lisa June 10, 2013 at 8:36 am #

It looks so pretty, Jessica!! I would live out there all summer long!
    I have two of those blue pillows – from Homegoods? You have exquisite taste :)

• Jessica Bruno June 10, 2013 at 8:39 am #

Hey Lisa! From Marshalls :) I love them! Hope you are enjoying your summer, it’s nice to finally have warm weather in our neck of the woods!

2. Jacquie@KCEdventures June 11, 2013 at 12:19 am #

We just pulled everything off the deck to re-stain it and make it cozier. I’m on the fence about a rug because of the kids and the dog – any recommendations on what to look for in a good rug? Love your new look! And I really love that you left the birds nest undisturbed too :)

• Jessica Bruno June 11, 2013 at 8:04 pm #

I love outdoor rugs as long as they are polypropolean. They tend to dry faster and don’t get water logged. We have kids and dogs and they hold up fine. In fact, I spray our rugs with the hose constantly to get the pollen off :)

3. ValenzMom a/k/a Helen June 11, 2013 at 9:33 am #

Your porch turned out so pretty! I love how the watermelon coordinated with your pink and white annuals – so decorator of you :)

• Jessica Bruno June 11, 2013 at 8:02 pm #

ha, thanks Helen! The watermelon was delicious :)

4. Kim @ Sand & Sisal June 11, 2013 at 10:12 am #

You porch turned out gorgeous Jess! So inviting! It looks straight out of a magazine!

5. Becca June 11, 2013 at 3:18 pm #

Beautiful, Jessica! The curtains are the crowning touch to your fabulous outdoor living space! I love the pillows you chose and your flowers are so pretty! I hope you enjoy many summer evenings out here!

• Jessica Bruno June 11, 2013 at 8:00 pm #

Thank you Becca! I agree, looking back at the pictures without the drapes, something was missing! Thanks so much for stopping by and hope you are enjoying the start of summer :)

6. Danielle June 13, 2013 at 10:34 am #

It looks beautiful! Now we just need this rain to stop so you can enjoy it. x

7. Monica @ The Writer Chic June 14, 2013 at 3:19 pm #

Can you share where your furniture is from? We are shopping right now for patio furniture, and I love yours.

• Jessica Bruno June 16, 2013 at 6:57 am #

It’s by Lazy Boy and from Sears! Super affordable and very similar to the Pottery Barn set for 3x the amount of money :)

8. Kelly June 27, 2013 at 12:13 am #

Jessica,
    I just found your blog and I must say I LOVE what I have seen so far. I am in a huge remodel on a very tight budget, not a lot left over for my porch. I would love you input on my front porch. I live in Alabama and the humidity here is extremely high (which makes it seem ALOT hotter than it really is). Anyway, I love your furniture…..may I ask where you purchased it? What would it look like to add curtains to a Front Porch. We have neighbors on both sides of us and we would love to screen in our porch, but that is not in the budget right now. We would like to have something that could give us some privacy from the neighbors. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

9. Betty819 June 27, 2013 at 9:42 pm #

Beautiful screened in porch..and that watermelon looks so tempting. I love watermelon and before I saw your picture was thinking about driving up to grocery store and buying some but it was getting too late. They put away all the stuff from the salad bar about 7 or 8 pm. There’s always tomorrow. I had some really sweet pieces earlier this week and I want more.

Do you have your sheers on a tension rod? Your porch looks so inviting. We built one in spring of 1995, a year after my DH retired. We enjoyed it from for 10 years before we decided to move to a gated, Sr. Citizens community. We really miss that porch still. I’d go out there before daylight with my cup of hot tea and listen to the birds waking up and singing, and enjoy the quiet, it was so peaceful and sirene. We have beautiful memories of crab feast we had with family, friends and neighbors there. The present owners use it as a toy barn as she runs a daycare business.