How to make curtains using burlap

How to make curtains using burlap is probably the easiest and most inexpensive way to decorate a room especially if you have a lot of windows. Our family room has 10 large over sized windows and needless to say, purchasing drapery, custom or not, would have cost a pretty penny.  I decided to purchase burlap in natural color and if you know anything about burlap, it’s cheap! I had a coupon for Michael’s for 50% off so I paid a $1.50 per yard. I used 3 1/2 yards per panel. Click the arrow (top right) to move through the tutorial by step.

how to make curtains using burlap no sew

Click the arrow (top right) to move through the tutorial by step.

, , , ,

Responses to How to make curtains using burlap

1. Debbie reFresh March 11, 2013 at 8:51 am #

I love your curtains! Yay! for no sew. The room looks awesome :)
    Debbie

2. Val March 11, 2013 at 9:24 am #

How well does the stitch witchery work? I’m always afraid of it coming apart.

• Anne M March 11, 2013 at 5:33 pm #

I used some on a pair of pants I made into shorts about 15 yrs ago and they are still fused and doing great! iron on hem tape is great – only tip I have is make sure it’s really fused. once it is your good to go!

• Jessica Bruno March 12, 2013 at 8:47 pm #

Hi Val, they have been hanging for almost a year and no issues! I don’t close them a lot so that may help but they do get opened and closed maybe once or twice a week but nothing major. They are very durable and the stitch witchery has worked great for me :)

3. Jane Petermann March 11, 2013 at 2:01 pm #

Hi Jessica,
    I also have a lot of windows to do in our new home. I have worked with burlap before and I’m concerned about them fading quickly. Have you noticed any problems with fading yet? I suppose I could line them but that would up the cost and time involved.
    Jane

• Jessica Bruno March 12, 2013 at 8:46 pm #

Hi Jane, they have been hanging for almost a year and this room gets full sun all day. No issues :)

4. Karen in Texas March 11, 2013 at 2:54 pm #

Jessica – most burlap smells horrible – how did you get rid of the smell?
    I love the curtains – they look great ! I am wanting to make some but just concerned that it would take forever before they didnt stink !!

(Love your blog!
    Karen in Texas

• Amber March 11, 2013 at 6:48 pm #

Karen… I sew alot with burlap (drapes, valances, pillows and table runners) and yep, Burlap is smelly at first but it dissipates rather quickly. Don’t wash it!! You will make it super fuzzy and it softens too much and gets wrinkled. After you sew and hang them, spray with febreeze or any other room freshener. I use linen spray for my pillows and runners and the burlap smell usually goes away quickly. Even on panels that I’ve just hung with no spray, it goes away in a couple of days. :) Hope that helps!

• Jessica Bruno March 12, 2013 at 8:45 pm #

Thanks Karen!They only smelled a little for a couple days. I did spray them though with cold water (I pinned them with clothes pins to keep the crease look) so that may have helped get rid of the smell.

• Paula Plowman April 6, 2013 at 8:39 am #

I soaked mine in a gallon of vinegar then put water in the tub to just cover them then let them soak for a couple days moving them around a couple times. Then rinse I hung mine in the shower to rinse cause this stuff gets heavy when wet lol you could hang them outside and spray with the hose too but I made in January. Then let them hang to dry. Making sure to keep them as neat as possible the wrinkles made when they are wet are very hard to iron out. Then make curtain and hang. They will have a slight smell for bout a week but it goes away. I would not reccomend spraying any kind of air fressener on them. And yes they get darker as they are in the sun. Hope this helps

5. Jessica @ The Junk Nest March 11, 2013 at 3:47 pm #

These are just what I need! I just pinned this for reference! Thanks!

6. Thistle March 11, 2013 at 5:19 pm #

Love these curtains! What an easy and fun project! Pinning and scheduling. :)

Have a great day rock star!
    karianne

7. Amber March 11, 2013 at 6:50 pm #

LOVE the look of your room!! Just found your blog via Thistlewood Farm. Can’t wait to check out more.

8. Ruby March 11, 2013 at 9:50 pm #

Love them. Our Michaels does not sell fabric by the yard… but guessing I can find at Hobby Lobby or even Wal Mart… and fuse web is my friend so looks like I might actually be able to make this happen!

9. Jenny@thelavendermagnolia March 11, 2013 at 11:16 pm #

How timely. I just lost my job while my husband was in the middle of painting our dining room a whole new color. I had such dreams for my tiny little dining room! I desperately need new curtains and now I will give these a go. Right on my budget!

One question – are they shedding much?

Jenny

• Jessica Bruno March 12, 2013 at 8:44 pm #

Hi Jenny, I haven’t had any trouble with shedding. I did NOT wash them though, they may shed if you wash them.

10. Kim March 12, 2013 at 12:41 am #

Really cute!

11. Becca March 12, 2013 at 8:30 am #

Love them … they look fabulous in your beautiful space! “No sew” is my kind of project!

• Jessica Bruno March 12, 2013 at 8:43 pm #

Thank you Becca :) I don’t mind sewing but when I can get away doing this, I do! ha

12. Lisa @ Diary of a {wannabe} Domestic Diva March 12, 2013 at 9:14 am #

I LOVE THESE! I was thinking about going with some IKEA panels at $24/pair but I love burlap! The whole room is gorgeous!

13. Michelle March 12, 2013 at 12:38 pm #

These curtains are fabulous and just what my guest room needs! I just bought some coral bedding for it…
    I am also loving the color on your walls! Do you recall what color/brand it is? It’s exactly what I’m looking for!

• Jessica Bruno March 12, 2013 at 8:43 pm #

Hi, thank you! The blue color on the top wall is by Benjamin Moore and called Blue Wythe. Good luck with your project :)

14. Lauren March 12, 2013 at 2:13 pm #

I love these! I had wanted some in our family room when we moved in 2 years ago. I bought the fabric and when I started cutting realized that my daughter was allergic! Ugh! So, I used a different kind of utility fabric instead, kind of like a linen. I still prefer the look of burlap, though, and using stitch witchery is genius :)

• Jessica Bruno March 12, 2013 at 8:42 pm #

Hi Lauren, I love stitch witchery :) It works wonders!

15. katie March 12, 2013 at 3:32 pm #

Gorgeous (inexpensive) curtains!!!

16. Chelsea March 13, 2013 at 10:36 pm #

I love these! I’m super excited to try them. What size did 3.5 yards make? I need mine to be 8.5 ft long so if I did a wide hem like yours how many yards per panel would you advise I get?

17. Jennifer March 14, 2013 at 6:49 am #

Still one of my favorite living rooms…ever. And yay for affordable curtains! Love them!!

18. Debbie March 17, 2013 at 5:16 pm #

Love the look of the whole room, totally off the subject, what is the color of blue paint on walls? Thank you

• Jessica Bruno March 17, 2013 at 5:59 pm #

Thank you! It’s Blue Wythe by Benjamin Mooore.

19. Sarah D March 18, 2013 at 4:40 pm #

Thanks to your inspiration- I went out and made these today. I went even further with the no sew and used the drapery clips instead of making pockets so all I had to to was cut the burlap. SO CHEAP! Thanks for the great idea.

20. Jodi March 21, 2013 at 11:20 am #

I am all for no-sew projects so I might give this a try. Question, any ideas on a simple solution to block out more light? I LOVE the burlap look but I like to be able to block out the sun on hot summer days (and I hate when people can see in the windows at night!)
    By the way, absolutely love this room!

• Jessica Bruno March 21, 2013 at 6:50 pm #

Thank you! You could alway buy some inexpensive linen colored fabric (cotton/poly blend) at a fabric store and sew a liner to the burlap. You could even use old sheets to make a liner :) Not sure if you sew or not but you could try the stitch witchery as well. Good luck! Glad you like the project!

21. Robin K March 22, 2013 at 12:56 pm #

Love this idea! I am redecorating my daughters room and its a western and horse theme. She has a red and white patchwork quilt and I think these would look great with the wall color and the bedding!!

22. Jamie Asper March 22, 2013 at 1:03 pm #

I LOVE your curtains and I adore burlap! I can’t sew so this is perfect! I may do this for my nursery that I’m working on now. Love, love, love what you’ve created!!
    ~ Jamie

23. Rhonda Copple March 22, 2013 at 2:26 pm #

Jessica, You have made this so easy. I am not a seamstree but I think even I can do this. Can’t wait to check out your blog……

24. Rhonda Copple March 22, 2013 at 2:29 pm #

Jessica, This is what I’ve been looking for – very casual drapes but they look just right in your room. Thanks for sharing. Can’t wait to check out more ideans on your blog. Rhonda

25. Elizabeth March 23, 2013 at 12:28 pm #

I love the sofa. Do you know who makes it? Thanks,

• Jessica Bruno March 23, 2013 at 7:55 pm #

Thank you! I bought it at Jordan’s Furniture in Natick, Ma. I don’t know the manufacturer.

26. Diane March 24, 2013 at 11:25 am #

Hello,
    I’m lovin the burlap curtains. Now don’t think I’m crazy, but do you think they could be bleached to white. I would love to have these for a bedroom, or should I just buy a Ecru bedspread?

• Jessica Bruno March 24, 2013 at 1:39 pm #

Thankyou! I don’t think I would bleach them. They would probably fall apart :( They do sell different colors of burlap though in fact, I think they sell a white color? Try googling white burlap :)

27. stephanie March 26, 2013 at 10:54 am #

could you please share the source of the burlap fabric you used? it seems there are many different weights and quality… which is hard to tell from online!

• Jessica Bruno March 26, 2013 at 10:58 am #

Hi Stephanie. I am not sure on the weight but I can tell you that I bought it at Joanne Fabrics (natural color) and it normally is $3/yard but I used one of the coupons which was 1/2 off. Our Joanne Fabrics nearby only sells one type of burlap so not sure if others have different weight or not in other stores.

• stephanie March 26, 2013 at 11:02 am #

thank you so much! im actually not too far from you (cape cod) and am going to make some for my new (first!) house! thank you so much for the reply. I love your blog, your style is amazing & you are blessed with a great family!

• Jessica Bruno March 26, 2013 at 11:05 am #

That is fantastic Stephanie! Send me a picture when they are done, I would love to see them! :)

28. amy March 26, 2013 at 6:41 pm #

Would using rit dye be too harsh on burlap?

29. Charlene March 26, 2013 at 11:08 pm #

I love the look. It’s so inexpensive and it looks great. It adds texture to the room and still brings in a lot of light. Great job. I think I’m going to try this for the spring

30. Christina Patek March 29, 2013 at 6:55 pm #

LOVE this! Curious what were the measurements of your windows?

• Jessica Bruno April 2, 2013 at 3:50 pm #

Hi, the windows are 63″ long and 50″ wide.

31. Shelley March 31, 2013 at 12:28 am #

Jessica,

Just a quick question….how do you get the burlap to bunch up towards the top? The burlap I”ve found at Hobby Lobby, is airy but flat and a bit stiff. Do I need to just iron them and they will look like yours do? Thank you!!!

• Jessica Bruno March 31, 2013 at 7:08 am #

Hi, My hem is about 6″ wide (deep pocket hem) and yes, I ironed my burlap. I also pinned them with clothes pins (on the inside near the window so you can’t see them) for a couple days and sprayed lightly with water. The water helped keep the crease. I removed the pins a couple days later and I had the crease look :) You could always safety pin from the inside (nobody will see it) if you can’t get the burlap to stay the way you want it. Good luck!

32. Cari April 1, 2013 at 7:10 am #

Super cute! Do you think I can stencil words on them?

• Jessica Bruno April 1, 2013 at 9:13 am #

I am not sure? Maybe with acrylic paint? I have never done that.

• Paula Plowman April 6, 2013 at 10:33 am #

yes you can I saw it on pinterest joanns sells it with print already on it and some stores have it in more colors blue green yellow etc

33. courtney April 1, 2013 at 2:48 pm #

your rug is so lovely. where is it from?!

34. Christina Marie April 1, 2013 at 9:16 pm #

Very nice curtains… But I have to admit I could not stop looking at your couch! I love it. May I ask where is it from?

• Jessica Bruno April 1, 2013 at 10:26 pm #

ha :) It is from Jordan’s Furniture in Natick, Ma

35. Lora April 3, 2013 at 8:49 pm #

Very cute curtains, but I LOVE the pillows! Please tell me you know the name of the fabric… ;)

36. Jennifer April 5, 2013 at 12:16 pm #

Hi, I love the burlap curtains and am going to try making my own — one question, do you happen to remember the width of the burlap you purchased or the width of each panel you made? Thanks!

37. Michele April 5, 2013 at 11:06 pm #

Awesome! We’re moving in a couple of weeks, and I was JUST telling hubby that, after shower curtains for the new place, I wanted to buy curtains. I will have to try this!

38. Ginnie Eddinger April 14, 2013 at 8:35 am #

Can you tell me what color paint you used on the living room wall? Thank you!

• Jessica Bruno April 14, 2013 at 3:46 pm #

Hi, it’s Blue Wythe (Benjamin Moore) and White Dove (Benjamin Moore)

39. Amie April 16, 2013 at 10:12 am #

I love this idea. If I am going to need to make 4 panels how long and how wide do the need to be?

• Jessica Bruno April 21, 2013 at 5:14 pm #

The burlap typically comes in a 45 or 54″ width. The length depends on how long you want them. Measure how long you want them to be and add an additional 4″ inches on each end for hem. Take your measurements to the fabric store with you and the salesperson will tell you how many yards you need per panel :) Good luck!

40. Linda April 21, 2013 at 4:19 pm #

I tried to do these curtains and they were not easy to do. I didn’t find the stitch witchery user friendly with the material. They also made a real mess with burlap fibers flying everywhere. If you do make them I would recccommend sewing them preferably outdoors.

• Kathy April 23, 2013 at 1:50 pm #

For the curtains, did you use the entire width of the burlap for each individual panel? For example, if each panel was 3.5 yards long… did you use the whole width (45″ or 54″ across) of your burlap for that panel or did you cut that 3.5 yards down the middle to make 2 panels out of it?

41. NormaJean May 7, 2013 at 1:25 pm #

Just saw your gorgeous white burlap curtains with the sisal polkadots! They are amazing! Yo are amazing! Where do you come up with all these wonderfully creative ideas?

I’m a new “wannabe” blogger (lilacsandlemonade@blogspot.com). When I see creativity and talent like yours I begin to wonder what I think I’m attempting to do.

Keep up the good work! I love your blog!

42. Lauren @momhomeguide May 7, 2013 at 2:49 pm #

Love these! I also love the white burlap curtains you made. My family room has valences up, but there is nothing covering up our (not so great) metal blinds. Maybe I should make some white burlap curtains to cover up the blinds! It would be a cheap and easy fix! I might just embellish mine, too! I have lots of burlap twine left over from a fringed burlap table runner I recently made for a tutorial on my blog!

43. April May 16, 2013 at 12:15 pm #

Hi – Love the curtains…the whole room actually. Question: Did you remove the pins after you secured the hem with stitch witchery? Thanks.

44. Kathleen May 18, 2013 at 7:00 am #

Looks great! Just what I was looking for: instructions for creating no-sew burlap curtains. Thanks!

45. Tianna May 31, 2013 at 9:29 pm #

Hi!! I hope I’m not asking a repeat question but what is the name of the paint color in this room?? I love it!

T

46. Krista June 5, 2013 at 8:58 pm #

Love this. Heading to Joann’s in the am!!
    How wide are your panels each?
    Thanks for your amazing posts!

47. Debi Roskam June 18, 2013 at 11:34 am #

I love this idea! The colour is of the burlap would work perfectly with my furnishings. I would like to ask you though, where did you buy your sectional & area rug, as I do like this style. As well, the area rug is a welcoming change to my typical old world Persian. It’s very summery!
    Any info would be much appreciated.
    Thanks
    Debi

48. Tiffany June 25, 2013 at 10:57 pm #

Hi!

I absolutely LOVE your burlap curtains! I recently bought several yards of it and just might make some curtains for my new house…however, I was wondering if your burlap was the finer burlap, or the regular rough stuff?

Thanks!

Tiffany

• Jessica Bruno June 26, 2013 at 7:55 am #

It’s not the heavy duty stuff that they use to make bags ect.. I bought it in Joanne Fabrics in the Utility section and it’s normally $3 or so a yard. Look for a 40% off coupon though online , they usually have them :)

49. Hollydoo July 3, 2013 at 1:11 pm #

The only thing I would do differant is to make a small hem them a larger one so you have a little bit of a ruffle edge on the top of each panel, but they still look great.

Hollydoo

50. Marie July 17, 2013 at 10:51 am #

Hi!

I was in style 39 yrs. ago!

When my husband was in school, and I was working full time, we did not have much money for window treatments. So, I made all of our window coverings out of burlap. I did lined the one’s in the bedroom. Everyone that came over to our Apt. just loved them. Glad to see that they are popular now! I was ahead of the times! :)

Marie

51. Darlene September 6, 2013 at 6:12 pm #

Love this idea! What kind of burlap did you use?

• Jessica Bruno September 7, 2013 at 9:26 am #

I used the standard burlap that Joanne Fabrics sells. It’s in the utility fabric section.

52. Breanna September 17, 2013 at 12:35 pm #

A friend of mine loves these, as do I and we were going to make them for her living room. She also loves the blue wall color though. Any chance you could share the color?
    Great tutorial! Thanks.

• Jessica Bruno September 17, 2013 at 3:25 pm #

Hi, the blue color is wythe blue by benjamin moore :)

53. Sandi Parker October 2, 2013 at 12:59 pm #

I saw this as a pin on Pinterest and I’m all over it – especially the no-sew part. You said you used 3 1/2 yards per panel. May I ask, how long is that? Is that a standard 84 inches? Thx – am totally psyched to do these!

• Jessica Bruno October 2, 2013 at 1:20 pm #

They are about 94 inches long :) Glad you like them and good luck. They are SOOOOO easy to make and cheap!

54. Heather October 2, 2013 at 4:53 pm #

Where did you get that type of burlap, I have been wanting burlap curtains but no where near where I live has it and when i try to look online there seem to be so many types, this is the exact type i want

55. Carrie S. October 6, 2013 at 9:42 am #

Your room is fantastic! I especially LOVE your white birds on the wall. Please share where you got those!!!

56. Brittany November 5, 2013 at 10:53 am #

Love the curtains, but I’m a beginner. How do you figure out how many yards you need per panel?

• Jessica Bruno November 5, 2013 at 4:02 pm #

There are 36″ in a yard of fabric so measure how long you want each panel to be and go from there. I always get 3 yards per panel so I have extra left over. You can do an 84″ or 96″ each panel with 3 yards.:)

57. Angel January 4, 2014 at 6:20 pm #

Hi,

I love the color of your living room wall. May I know the brand and name color you used?

Thank you. :) love the curtains too!!

• Jessica Bruno January 7, 2014 at 9:41 am #

Thanks Angel! The color is Wythe Blue by Benjamin Moore and White Dove (on the bottom) by Benjamin Moore :)

58. Jill French January 5, 2014 at 5:40 pm #

I love your curtains. Love the whole look ! I would like to know where you got your sectional?

• Jessica Bruno January 7, 2014 at 9:36 am #

Thank you! The sectional is from Jordan’s furniture in Natick, Ma :)

59. Christine F January 19, 2014 at 6:47 pm #

These curtains are beautiful, I love them! I was wondering did you cut your panel in half? I did this project but I find that my one panel is huge! Help!

• Jessica Bruno January 19, 2014 at 9:32 pm #

Hi, thank you! Nope, I left them full width. Our windows are huge so the full width (I think they were 45″) worked perfectly. You could cut off some of the width if you think they are to wide. :)

60. Crystal February 1, 2014 at 11:21 am #

I LOVE the birds on your wall!

61. Kasey March 13, 2014 at 5:34 pm #

I absolutely LOVE your burlap curtains, just what I have been looking for. Do you think it would be possible to sew a blackout curtain behind it?

• Jessica Bruno March 16, 2014 at 9:30 pm #

I bet you could but it might make the burlap a bit darker. The blackout would help with fading as well. You could always buy the fabric and as long as you don’t cut it, they will usually take it back. Hold it up to the back of the burlap and just pin it and hang it up to see if you like the look.

62. Michelle March 20, 2014 at 11:34 am #

I love the pic of your living room with the burlap curtains! Can you tell me also the name of the paint color on the walls & where you bought it? Love that shade of blue :)

63. Juley March 20, 2014 at 8:41 pm #

Hi! I am currently trying to use Stitch Witchery on burlap, but I can’t get it to stick. Any advice on how you ironed it? I’ve tried with a damp cloth, without a damp cloth, steaming it first all with no luck!

Thanks!

• Jessica Bruno March 20, 2014 at 8:45 pm #

Hi, I had the iron filled with water and used the steam option while ironing the stitch witchery. Is it iron on stitch witchery? Mine stuck very easily. That is so strange it isn’t sticking?

• Allie Marie June 8, 2014 at 11:57 am #

For me I just needed to do it a lot longer than it suggested on the box. I also in a few spots doubled up the tape, by putting it on both sides and ironing them together. Hope that helps!

64. Grammie April 12, 2014 at 12:28 am #

I buy burlap from Loves sold in the garden department that comes in 22′ rolls by 36″ wide for $10. I like this burlap way better than fabric store burlap because it is lighter weight and woven wide, looks like linen. I too have made simple sew burlap draperys for my family room and love the sheer look.

• Grammie April 12, 2014 at 12:29 am #

woops, LOWES!

65. Allie Marie June 8, 2014 at 11:56 am #

Thank you for the tutorial! I just made some of my own for my breezeway area. I posted a link to your site on the DIY section of my website so others can make these cheap and easy curtains. Thanks again!

66. Kristen Harris June 14, 2014 at 4:29 pm #

I love the curtains and also the paint color on your wall behind them. Will you please share the paint color?

67. Elizabeth June 24, 2014 at 12:21 pm #

How do you know what size to get? I am a first time DIY’er and i know if I bought curtains I would need the 83″ length (and than to wash and shrink them to be more of about a 81″ lenght) I will be making the bigger hem like you did.

• Jessica Bruno June 27, 2014 at 8:01 am #

Hi, there are 36″ in a yard so I would head to your local fabric store and purchase 3 yards per panel (so you would need 6 yards for 2 panels (1 window) ) and then hem or use the stitch witchery (like I did) to get the desired length. All fabric from a fabric store is sold by the yard and I’m sure the sales people at the store will help you :). Good luck !

68. Betty June 29, 2014 at 3:55 am #

What color is your paint on these pics? So beautiful!

• Jessica Bruno June 30, 2014 at 10:21 am #

Wythe Blue and White Dove by Benjamin Moore. Thank you! :)

69. Christine July 2, 2014 at 8:19 am #

Hello!
    I’ve been reading about burlap curtains, and love the texture of them.
    How have you prevented dry rot in these curtains? Natural fibers do eventually, of course, but after all that nice work, it’d be nice to forestall that happening.
    And, what did you do for weight?

70. Elizabeth July 16, 2014 at 12:53 am #

Hey Jessica! I’m really struggling with my (first 2 of 4) DIY burlap curtains for my nautical living room. I don’t necessarily like how they turned out but am planning to leave them up (since the time and money have been invested). Would there be a way to show you a picture and you can give your advice as to what I should do with them to make them look better (let them hang, tie them back, shorten them, etc). Thanks!!!

• Jessica Bruno July 16, 2014 at 9:31 am #

sure, email them to jessica (at) fourgenerationsoneroof (dot) com ;)

71. Deana Smith July 26, 2014 at 4:47 pm #

I love your DIY burlap curtains…..i’m curious how wide was the burlap you used. I’ve seen it in 40” and 60”????? Just curious….thanks

Regards,
    Deana Smith

72. Tai September 21, 2014 at 2:22 pm #

I want to make some of these for my smaller kitchen Windows, can you tell me roughly how many yards of burlap you used ?

73. Amy September 26, 2014 at 4:44 pm #

I love this idea! Did/does the burlap shed and make a mess? I have kids who would constantly be messing with the curtains… :(

74. Kala October 9, 2014 at 12:22 pm #

Hey! I have never made curtains before. But this looks accomplishable! For the hem, can I just fold the burlap over once? Yours looks like it has a finished look before you sew. Does that make sense? I’m wondering if this is necessary. I don’t have a whole lot of fabric width to work with and don’t want to use extra inches. My window is 34.5″ vertically and my fabric is only 48″. Should I just fold over 3″ of burlap for the hem and have the curtain hang at the window bottom. My curtain rod hangs 5″ above my window.

Sorry for this crazy post. lol and Thank you in advance

• Kala October 9, 2014 at 12:27 pm #

I just realized… are you using the width (my 48″) for the top of the curtains?

• Jessica Bruno October 9, 2014 at 2:01 pm #

Yes, my width is 48″ and I actually didn’t fold over the ends, I liked the frayed look. I only folded down the top hem (no sew) and used the stitch witchery to make the hem.