How to hang shelves {our Christmas mantel}

Today I will show you how to hang shelves to create a Christmas mantel. Our fireplace mantel is in need of some TLC so until that project is finished, I decided to hang a shelf over our couch to display a wintery Christmas theme. We recently rearranged the furniture in our family room to make room for our Christmas tree and while doing so, a bare wall was exposed that needed some love. In about 30 minutes, I hung this shelf and viola, our Christmas mantel.

How to hang shelves for a christmas mantel

Our Christmas theme this year is a wintery nature inspired theme using gold, silver, red & white. This is the bare wall prior to the shelf being added. It was raining the day I hung this shelf so the pictures are a bit dark.

How to hang shelves for a christmas mantel

Simply hang a level where you would like the shelf to hang.

How to hang shelves for a christmas mantel

Draw line where the bottom of the shelf will hang and drill your pilot holes for screws.

How to hang shelves for a christmas mantel

Screw the screws 95% into the wall (leave a little showing in order to hang your bracket.

How to hang shelves for a christmas mantel

I purchased $2 unfinished wooden brackets from our local mill store.

How to hang shelves for a christmas mantel

I used a 10″ wide piece of pine board that we had  left over from our bathroom renovation project for the shelf.

How to hang shelves for a christmas mantel

I added two coats of Benjamin Moore white dove paint and it was ready for a wintery Christmas display.

How to hang shelves for a christmas mantel

I made a “dear santa” chalkboard sign using construction paper and an existing canvas art picture.

How to hang shelves for a christmas mantel

Fairly easy right? If you don’t have a traditional fireplace mantel, hopefully you find this tutorial on how to hang shelves helpful and perhaps even inspired you to create your own wintery Christmas mantel. This diy Christmas mantel only cost $4 and I think it adds so much character to the room and otherwise, boring wall. I’ll be back this week to share our Christmas Home tour :).

Linking to:

The Lettered Cottage

, ,

Responses to How to hang shelves {our Christmas mantel}

1. ali thompson December 5, 2012 at 11:05 am #

we don’t have a mantel so this would be perfect. love it!

• Jessica Bruno December 6, 2012 at 3:38 pm #

Thank you Ali. It’s a great way to add some character to a wall :)

2. Starla December 5, 2012 at 11:49 am #

Really great idea!
    Merry Christmas!!

3. the cape on the corner December 5, 2012 at 11:59 am #

what a great idea, and i love the way you used those presents.

4. Mary@athomeonthebay December 5, 2012 at 6:51 pm #

I love this idea for people who don’t have a fireplace mantel like me. Great tutorial Jessica.

5. Atta Girl Amy December 5, 2012 at 7:26 pm #

Your tutorial makes it look so easy!

I am loving your room, too. I love how the red pops off your white sofa. And those curtains…

Thanks for inspiring me.

Amy

• Jessica Bruno December 6, 2012 at 3:37 pm #

Thank you. Yes,it is definitely fairly easy :)

6. Ashley@AttemptsAtDomestication December 5, 2012 at 10:13 pm #

That’s really cute! I have a mantel, but you can never have too many decorating surfaces.

7. Sheila December 6, 2012 at 9:44 am #

What kind of fabric are your drapes made of? Did you make them or purchase them? Thank you

• Jessica Bruno December 6, 2012 at 3:36 pm #

Hi Sheila! I made the curtains out of burlap. 3 yards per panel (96″). Pottery Barn also sells them but $100 per panel. I paid 1.50$ per yard at Joanne Fabrics :)

8. Jane December 6, 2012 at 9:51 am #

Absolutely great idea! Where did you purchase your pillows?

• Jessica Bruno December 6, 2012 at 3:34 pm #

Thank you Jane! I got the pillows in Target. They are part of their holiday line for this year :)

9. Vintage Street Designs December 6, 2012 at 8:55 pm #

Seriously…why didn’t I think of this? Great idea! Hubby hasn’t built my mantel yet so this would have been a great solution! :) Pin Worthy!!! Now following!!! ~ Judy

• Jessica Bruno December 6, 2012 at 9:08 pm #

haha thank you! I have those “why didn’t I think of that” moments all the time :) Glad I could be of service! Have a great night.

10. Danielle December 11, 2012 at 10:03 am #

So pretty, Jessica. Love the little chalk board. Thanks for linking up to our Home for the Holidays Link Party!

• Jessica Bruno December 13, 2012 at 10:20 pm #

You are very welcome Danielle and one of these days, we need to hook up for coffee and meet each other! Did you see the post about Haven next year in Atlanta? Tickets go on sale January 1 I think. Inbox me if you are interested in my experience ect. last year. I think you would love it :)

11. Makyla November 13, 2013 at 10:17 pm #

Very cute idea!!! Also, I would love to know where you got your couch. I love it!! It looks super comfy and just what I’ve been hunting for. Thanks!

• Jessica Bruno November 17, 2013 at 9:40 am #

Thank you:) The couch is from Jordans Furniture in Natick, Ma

12. Kelly January 11, 2014 at 10:51 am #

I love the blue paint color on the walls! Do you remember what you used??

Trackbacks/Pingbacks