DIY Christmas decorations {owl topper}

This past weekend we finished decorating the tree in our family room and worked on some DIY Christmas decorations. I searched for a unique Christmas tree topper but wasn’t successful finding one that didn’t cost loads of money so I decided to make one using a cute owl that I found at Pier 1. Our Christmas tree this year is a nature inspired woodland themed tree with a color scheme of  silver and gold. Before I start with the picture of our cute little owl’s nest, I want to thank you all for your sweet comments on our DIY bathroom renovation reveal from last week. I was blown away by all of your kind words.

Ok, now for the owl tree topper.

DIY christmas decoration owl tree topper

This was the quickest and easiest DIY decoration ever. I used an empty candle holder that I had purchased over the summer and filled it with fresh holiday greens to create a nest. The beautiful thing about this candle holder was that the bottom had openings so all I had to do was slide it over the top of the tree.

DIY christmas decorations owl tree topper

I originally was thinking about cutting a hole in the middle of a basket and sliding it over the top of the tree stem but as I was shopping my house for that perfect basket, this candle holder jumped out at me. It was perfect. I used fresh boxwood, juniper and clippings from our Douglas fir tree. Simply stuff them in the sides until you achieve a full nest look.

DIY christmas decorations owl tree topper

My son named our little woodland owl “Chewy”. He looks pretty cute sitting at the top of tree in his new nest. How about you, have you been working on any DIY christmas decorations? My gramps and I have been working on some handmade wooden reindeer and sleigh that I will share with you soon. Share your Christmas decoration ideas in the comments, I would love to hear what you have been up to!

Linking up to:

Home Stories A to Z

, , , , , ,

Responses to DIY Christmas decorations {owl topper}

1. Ashley@AttemptsAtDomestication December 3, 2012 at 7:28 pm #

Haha he’s so cute! I love him!

2. Kristy December 3, 2012 at 8:59 pm #

SO adorable! Jess… you are so crafty! :)

3. Kim @ Sand & Sisal December 4, 2012 at 8:38 pm #

Awww! He’s adorable! I love the owl addition to your tree Jess! I bet your son loves him too!

4. Amy @ So There. by Amy November 19, 2013 at 4:48 pm #

This is too cute! I am so glad I found your tutorial via Pinterest!
    But, now I want THIS owl, hehe.
    Did you make or buy him? I wonder where I could find similar?

Thanks!

• Jessica Bruno November 19, 2013 at 5:03 pm #

Thanks Amy! I bought the owl at Pier 1 last year :)

5. Kim November 26, 2014 at 7:57 am #

Love the idea! I too have decided to do one of my 5 trees this year in the woodland theme. I have been buying owls everywhere I see them, but didn’t know what to do for a topper. Great idea!!!

• Jessica Bruno November 28, 2014 at 6:38 pm #

Yay , glad this might work out for you! It’s fairly simple and looks pretty cute :)

6. Sandra December 8, 2014 at 1:48 am #

Hello Jessica, this Owl ornament is adorable where can I buy all this ?? Pls advise !

• Jessica Bruno December 8, 2014 at 5:55 pm #

Hi, I think the owl is from HomeGoods or Pier One? It’s two years old but I know pier 1 has some similar. I just put it inside of a basket from HomeGoods and filled with greenery :)