How to repair a cracked & old cement patio {before & after}

Today we are sharing how to repair a cracked and old cement patio.  Living with four generations under one roof poses many challenges, one being personal space. We took the opportunity this summer to makeover our deck and power-wash the patio and pool area. The patio has been neglected and seriously damaged through the winter storms but my dad completely ruined it (he says he didn’t, but he did) when he put down some kind of a rock salt last winter that ate through the cement like it was a little scooby snack.

how to repair a cracked cement patio

Here is the before:

how to repair an old cracked cement patio {diy patio}

The patio was a mix of old red paint, gray original cement, cracks and holes. Can you say, mess?! After a good powerwashing and removing any loose cement, we added 23 gallons of the Concrete RESTORE.  The space is about 400 sq.ft. We bought the large 4 gallon buckets as well as the RESTORE roller. Attach the roller with a long handled paint roller and simply dump the concrete/paint mixture and roll it on. It is SO easy!

How to repair an old cracked cement patio (diy patio)

This is my mom and dad’s “personal” outdoor space so she chose Cape Cod Gray to have the RESTORE cement tinted to. There are so many colors available. I spread this entire 450 square foot area in about 2.5 hours. One important tip, do not roll it on like you would when painting a wall (back and forth). The directions say to use a paint tray ect. I simply dumped 1/4 – 1/2 of the bucket on the cement and worked in sections. When you spread the cement, simply pull it towards you or push away from you. Do not roll over back and forth. This stuff is very thick but easy to spread. I highly recommend the special RESTORE roller. Do not use a regular paint roller. If you take a break in between, just wrap your roller in a plastic grocery bag. That’s what I did :)

Ok, now for the good part, here is how my mom’s patio is looking now!

How to repair an old cracked patio diy tutorial

How to repair an old cracked cement patio tutorial

My gramps made these DIY adirondack chairs and couch.  Isn’t he talented? I told him we are going to make some more for “my side” of the yard and I’ll be taking pictures of him to post on the blog. I think we need a tutorial on these, don’t you? We gave them a fresh coat of water-based stain and I think they are looking pretty snazzy! What do you think of that DIY lattice privacy screen to hide the air compressor units? My dad and I recently made it one Saturday afternoon, I will post the tutorial soon!

How to repair an old cracked cement patio tutorial

My mom loves black and sand colors together so we used her existing cushions along with some DIY bolster pillows from the fabric I had left over from our dining room makeover.

How to repair an old cracked cement patio {tutorial} via @fourgenerationsoneroof.com

My mom is loving her new space! Especially the Cape Code Gray cement color.

How to repair an old cracked cement patio {tutorial}

This is where my mom drinks her coffee every morning. It’s a pretty cozy spot!

How to repair an old cracked patio flower collage

How to repair an old cracked cement patio {tutorial}

So what do you think? Would you be daring enough to dump tinted cement and resurface an old worn cement patio or even a deck? This stuff can be used on a deck also. I had no idea how to repair a cracked and old cement patio prior to using this product and I’m happy I gave it a try. The patio isn’t perfect but it’s certainly better than it was. The best thing, my mom loves it!

You can view the DIY lattice privacy screen  tutorial here.

If you would like to see our other outdoor makeovers, check out our orange and pink deck makeover.

PS. Total cost = under $275 (cost of cement product + lattice for privacy screen)

, , ,

Responses to How to repair a cracked & old cement patio {before & after}

1. Danielle July 19, 2012 at 9:54 pm #

Jessica, it looks amazing! I don’t know how you do all you do! The patio with the cape cod gray looks excellent. Please, please, please post a tutorial on the chairs. I’d love to make some.

2. Heather July 20, 2012 at 12:21 am #

Looks great! I know your mom is really enjoying her “new” spot. :)

3. Miss Kitty July 20, 2012 at 9:45 am #

This is a great makeover, Jessica! You are brave to spread concrete…and strong. I need to resurface my driveway (had to have a section re-poured…of course it doesn’t match)…I wonder if this would work? Thanks for sharing your project.

• Jessica July 20, 2012 at 10:35 am #

Thankyou! I would NOT use this on your driveway. I believe the directions say not to use it in the garage b/c the tires will wreck it. They make an epoxy specific for garage floors though so you could certainly check to see if there is a product compatible for driveways. Our driveway is a mess also and I really think re-tarring it is the best solution or rip it up and lay brick. Not in my lifetime though :) hehe.

4. Nancy @ Sea Rose Cottage July 20, 2012 at 12:44 pm #

What a fabulous transformation–your Mom must be thrilled! I love how you don’t shy away from projects others may find intimidating. The privacy screen is brilliant and the whole space just looks beautiful and very inviting.

• Jessica July 20, 2012 at 4:08 pm #

Hey Nancy! Thanks so much, hope you are enjoying your summer!

5. Kim @ Sand & Sisal July 20, 2012 at 2:54 pm #

The patio is so pretty! What an inviting space to relax! I love all your flowering planters! The are overflowing! We’ve been so hot I can barely keep any of mine alive. It turned out beautiful Jess!

6. Cathy July 22, 2012 at 9:34 am #

Hi Jessica, I just found your blog through Sand and Sisal and love your patio makeover. But, what really caught my eye was the 4 generations living under one roof. We are 3 generations living under one roof and I can totally relate with you on the craziness that can occur. I am so loving reading your blog…….

• Jessica July 22, 2012 at 7:58 pm #

Thanks Cathy! That is fantastic you are three generations living together. Isn’t it crazy!? My son really loves it and we do as well……most of the time :) hehe.

7. Erin July 29, 2012 at 11:48 pm #

Oh my goodness, can I come over right now? So lovely! Hope you’re getting lots of use out of this gorgeous project.

8. Deb November 2, 2012 at 10:21 pm #

Hi, for cost you put $275 for lattice and Restore. I find Restore in 4 gallon buckets is $90 and you mentioned you used 23 gallons, so that would mean you used 6 buckets. According to my calculations that puts this project around $540 just for the product, not including the roller and price of lattice. My guess is project is more like $600, still not bad price but more than double what you listed. Am I missing something?

• Jessica Bruno November 3, 2012 at 7:56 am #

Hi Deb! I take my gramp with me for purchases because he gets a discount being a veteran :) My dad also had some product left over from the basement project so that helped with the cost. So no, you are not missing anything :) Good luck with your project!

9. Michelle McKane November 13, 2012 at 1:01 pm #

You have a gorgeous porch. I’m so jealous.

• Jessica Bruno November 18, 2012 at 7:28 am #

Thanks Michelle! I wish this was my porch. It’s a model home at my dads work that we are building :)

10. Lisa April 24, 2013 at 4:28 pm #

You’ve inspired me to redo my patio myself! But the numbers don’t seem to be adding up. From what I can see, each 4-gallon bucket is about $80 and if you needed 23 gallons, that’s about 6 buckets, or $480, yet you said the total cost of this project plus the lattice privacy screen was about $275. Am I missing something?

• Lisa April 24, 2013 at 4:30 pm #

Never mind…I missed some of the comments that said the same thing!

11. Lisa May 1, 2013 at 11:27 am #

Jessica,
    We are considering using this product on our concrete deck, looks like it has been nearly 1 year sine you completed the project. How is the Restore product holding up? Any advice or recommendations?
    Thanks

• Jessica Bruno May 1, 2013 at 10:52 pm #

It’s held up well actually. We have a couple spots I need to touch up but that is because the patio gets shoveled in the winter from all the snow so it got a little scratched. Do more than one coat. I really am happy with how it survived. We have tough winters and I expect a little touch up each spring. Make sure you clean your surface really good prior as well. Good luck!

• Lisa May 2, 2013 at 10:08 am #

Thanks so much, one more question…does it seem hotter on the feet in the sun than your concrete was? Thanks again…

12. Marvin Moskowitz April 25, 2014 at 5:28 pm #

This sounds really exciting…….but does this mean you don’t have to repair cracks first?? , or is the material so thick that it fills in the cracks as you spread it?? thanks for your help.

• Jessica Bruno April 25, 2014 at 9:27 pm #

It fills in some smaller cracks but not overly huge ones. The back of the container has instructions for cracks :)

13. Mindee May 5, 2014 at 12:04 pm #

Jessica, I love this and was considering using it. However, I’ve read some awful reviews. i’m in Texas and unsure how it will hold up to the heat, although our pool patio is covered with a pergola.

Has this held up through your summers/winters or have you experienced the peeling/bubbling that others mention?

14. Patti Jenne May 17, 2014 at 10:19 pm #

My cement “patio” is cracked and uneven (badly), will this work for a repair like that?

15. Heather May 25, 2014 at 11:28 pm #

Hi Jessica – I just found this tutorial and I’m very curious – how is the Restore holding up after 2 years? Do you still love it? Have you had any problems? Thanks so much!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Are you ready to create an outdoor room? - Four Generations One Roof - March 28, 2013

[...] room photos last week with our backyard patio in mind. Last summer, we repaired our existing cement patio off the back of our house in an effort to create an outdoor room that my mom would love. This year, [...]