DIY board and batten tutorial {dining room}

Hi everyone! I wanted to show you our DIY  board and batten tutorial that I recently added to our dining room wall. This project only took an afternoon and when I say it is easy, I mean it. Anyone can do this.

Here is our dining room (featured in Woman’s Day Magazine) with the board and batten wall treatment.

board and batten tutorial

What started being a small spruce up in our dining room turned into a full fledge decorating project. I love these board and batten wall treatments:

DIY board and batten, tutorial

Pinterest via Houzz

BHG

I love how this is floor to ceiling with a coat rack attached in the middle.

House and Home

I love how this one goes to the ceiling but no place to lean pictures. Hmmm, I think I like 3/4 high ?

House and Home

Ok, now for our tutorial. I decided to go 3/4 high and add a 2 inch shelf on top.

Board and batten tutorial

Materials that I used:

• 1  4×8 sheet of 1/4″  MDF (you can purchase at Home Depot or Lowes). You can also use masonite.
  • 1  10′ 3 1/2″ wide piece of pine. I chose 1/2″ thickness
  • Gorilla glue
  • Your nail gun with 1 1/4″ brad nails
  • White primer

You will need to cut your strips (the battens) from the large sheet that you purchase. If you do not have a table saw, I would suggest having them cut for you at Home Depot or wherever you purchase. You can also purchase 2-3″ strips if you have a money tree but no money tree here, so I cut them myself :) The entire sheet is about $20. I cut 2 1/2 inch strips and spaced them out about 12 inches. I actually would have preferred spacing them 16″ apart but the light and electrical switches were in the way and I wanted quick and easy so I opted to place them closer together.

DIY board and batten tutorial

I finally decided on a gray/brown paint color but it wasn’t until I had painted the room 4 times a different color!

DIY board and batten tutorial

Installing board and batten on a wall is really a very easy and inexpensive way to add texture and character to a room. Be sure to check out our other DIY board and batten tutorials as well in our newly created mudroom & our renovated guest bathroom.

, , , ,

Responses to DIY board and batten tutorial {dining room}

1. Jessie @ Imperfectly Polished June 11, 2012 at 10:09 pm #

Looking great! I love how much character board and batten adds. Can’t wait to see it all done:)

• Jessica June 24, 2012 at 6:58 am #

Thank you Jessie for stopping by. The room is so different looking now! If the sun cooperates, I’ll post the room this week. Hope you are enjoying your weekend :)

2. Kim @ Sand & Sisal June 11, 2012 at 10:11 pm #

Four times?! Oh my! I love how B & B can change the whole look of a room, Looking forward to the final reveal ;)

3. Sue June 11, 2012 at 10:12 pm #

I REALLY like what you did and can’t wait for the final pictures.

• Jessica June 24, 2012 at 6:57 am #

Thank you Sue! Hoping to post this week.

4. Danielle June 11, 2012 at 11:07 pm #

Love how the panelling looks. I can totally relate to your boy growing up. My kids are getting so big too! Where does the time go?!?

• Jessica June 24, 2012 at 6:56 am #

Thanks Danielle. I know, it is really crazy how the older I get, the faster is goes!

5. Lisa June 12, 2012 at 8:36 am #

It looks great Jessica!!! I was surprised at how easy it is to install too, with the exception of doing it on stairs (ohhhh those angles.) I am definitely trying the sheet of MDF-method when I install it my sons’ rooms….so much more economical! It adds so much character to your space and love the color you chose for the top of the wall!!

• Jessica June 24, 2012 at 6:55 am #

Thanks Lisa. Yes, it really was very easy and soooooo much more economical than using pine or another wood. Just be sure to use caulking to fill any gaps on the sides and where it meets the other mdf. It doesn’t “hug” the wall as much as wood does, if that makes any sense at all!

6. Heather June 12, 2012 at 9:50 am #

Looks fantastic so far! I may have to do this in my own dining room! Thanks for sharing! Heather :)

• Jessica June 24, 2012 at 6:54 am #

Thank you Heather! Let me know if you try it in your dining room :)

7. Ashley@AttemptsAtDomestication June 12, 2012 at 3:20 pm #

Looking good! Can’t wait to see it all done with those pictures leaning! ;)

8. Debbie~refreshrestyle June 16, 2012 at 10:41 pm #

Looking great! You go girl :)

• Jessica June 20, 2012 at 5:57 am #

Thanks Debbie!

• Jessica June 24, 2012 at 6:53 am #

Thanks Deb! So nice meeting you at Haven :)

9. Jenn March 10, 2013 at 11:40 pm #

I love this whole look! Can I ask what color the gray brown paint you chose was?

• Jessica Bruno March 12, 2013 at 8:48 pm #

Thank you Jenn! The color is cobblestone cape may by Benjamin Moore

10. Kelly Rose March 13, 2013 at 9:00 pm #

I am so in love with each and every one of your projects!!!!! You are amazing! I wanted to ask you what yellow you used in the back of your hutch? I love that yellow and hope to match it at BM. Thanks so very much. Kelly

11. Jamile December 17, 2013 at 5:02 pm #

Hi Jessie ,

We Bought our first house 4 month ago 2013 .. we on budget I would like to do Board and Batten on my dining room & living room… In my house already has baseboards… Did I need remove my baseboard before I start in my project on board and batten ..?or I can keep ?

Jamile

• Jessica Bruno December 18, 2013 at 11:53 am #

Hi, we left our baseboards and butted up to them. It depends on the width of your baseboard & your board you are using on the wall. Good luck with your project :)