Coastal Cottage family room {before & after}

We finally finished our family room makeover. I feel like I have been working on this room forever.  The colors in the room before were traditional and on the darker side, which is what my mom liked. This use to be their family room, until we switched living spaces last year.  This furniture is a set we bought many years ago and was in a much smaller room. It looks a bit lost. I decided to change the look from traditional to a cottagey pottery barn style. In my opinion, the family room before and after is dramatic.

cottage family room before and after

Photo courtesy of This Old House Magazine

Before:

Family-room-before-brown_thumb6

After

cottage family room before and after

Photo courtesy of This Old House Magazine

This was a joint project with Rhoda, from Southern Hospitality.  You probably already know how awesome Rhoda is but if you are new to blogging and don’t know her, be sure to head over and check out her amazing blog. I enlisted her expertise and boy was she helpful! I sent her some before pictures of our room as well as my inspiration picture . I love the white planks on the wall in the room below and the light “airy” feeling. This was my inspiration picture.

house beautiful

Rhoda sent me a four page email with loads of  ideas, tips, layout suggestions, color schemes & source suggestions. It was fabulous to work with her! While we deviated a bit from the board, a lot of it was incorporated. What I loved most about Rhoda, is she is budget savy and was very motivated to re-use what I already had.

Family-room-before-brown_thumb6
After the dark paint went away and I started to add planks to the walls, we looked like this:
_DSC1203
_DSC1212
After:
Pottery Barn cabinet, DIy pottery barn style
Pottery Barn Apothecary cabinet, DIY,
DIY pottery barn inspired
In order to achieve the look I was going after, I got busy nailing planks to the wall. I used 1×8 tongue and groove knotty pine.  It seemed like it took forever to complete that part of the project. My dad showed me how to use the nail gun and then disappeared for 2 months while I worked on the room. It is winter time and he hibernates in front of the television. He wanted NO part of this project .
coastal, cottage, diy pottery barn inspired
_DSC0880

The planks on the wall are painted Benjamin Moore white diamond and the top of the wall is Benjamin Moore Wythe Blue.  I also added a 2 inch shelf on top of the planks to define the separation between the planks and the wall. It turned out great for leaning pictures.

This part of the room had an unfinished built-in that I resurfaced with planks and made some barn doors to close off two sections to hide my sewing machine and craft stuff.
Before:
_DSC1214
Yes, this is what it was like in the middle of a remodel.
The built-in After:
cottage family room before and after

Photo courtesy of This Old House

I will do a post on how to make inexpensive barn doors using doors you already may have. You will be amazed how easy it was.  I don’t have an extra room to dedicate for sewing and craft stuff so the bulk of it now hides behind these doors and in the baskets.
DIY bookcase, DIY barn doors
The drapes are burlap. I loved the deep pocket pottery barn burlap drapes but for $75 a panel, it would have been very expensive. I bought 55 yards of burlap at $1.99 a yard on sale and with my 40% coupon, I was able to make “no sew” burlap panels for under $130. That is pretty good in my book considering there are 5 large windows. See our how to make curtains using burlap tutorial to see how I made these.
DIY bookcase, DIY barn doors
I ordered all the fabric for the pillows and window seat / now bench from fabric.com. My favorite is the Thomas Paul fabric (gray) Dalia print. I plan on making barn doors to cover this bookcase opening but just didn’t get them done on time for this post. I am having surgery tomorrow and will be out of commission for a bit and decided to move ahead with this post instead of waiting until I got the doors made.
DIY pillow covers
Pier 1 Imports lantern

Isn’t that “you are my sunshine” pillow lovely? You can find it at Coastal Cottage Store. (see reference list below)

Prior to putting the planks on the wall, the fireplace looked lost. I love how the planks added character and a bit of pizzaz.
Planked walls, diy, vermont casting fireplace

Wide pine planked walls, coastal, cottage

I think our DIY Pottery Barn inspired media console fits right in. My dad and I had fun making it.

There you have it! Yes, we invested in a new sectional sofa and no, it is not pottery barn. I found it on sale at a local furniture shop but had to buy it as shown. It was a deal let me tell ya! We love hanging out in this room watching TV as a family or just surfing the net. Before, it was difficult to sit as a family, especially when my stepdaughters were here. The kids are all getting bigger and were tired of sitting on the floor so it was time to get something that would fit all of us.

A gigantic hug to Rhoda at Southern Hospitality to helping me throughout this entire process. Be sure to head over and check out her online consultations.

You know when you just look at a room so much, you can’t see the potential or are just so overwhelmed, you can’t move forward? Well that was me! Rhoda helped me navigate through resources, layout suggestions, fabric help, and a four page email of design ideas and suggestions, she was my confidence! It was great to bounce ideas off of her and get her honest opinion.  The entire experience was beyond fabulous but best of all, I feel like I made a new bloggie friend .

I hope you enjoyed our family room before and after reveal. I am so pleased with the coastal cottage look that I don’t really want to leave the room! ha.

Jessica Bruno
Update:

This old house magazine feature
* Rhoda featured us today on her “Feature Friday Series” .
* You can find a resource list here.

, , , , , , , ,

Responses to Coastal Cottage family room {before & after}

1. Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality February 23, 2012 at 11:28 pm #

Awww,Jessica!! I just love this post. So happy I could walk with you through this & see the fantastic AFTER photos. I just love, love, love it all!! You did a great job, girl.

2. Pamela February 24, 2012 at 1:39 am #

Jaw dropping amazing!!! You're truly an amazing person for opening your home up to your family and now taking on such an overhaul.
    It looks GORGEOUS!

Pamela
    PBJstories.com

3. Danielle February 24, 2012 at 2:17 am #

The room is gorgeous! I love your paneling, the sectional, the rug, drapes, pillows. Everything looks wonderful. I want some built ins! You need to teach me or my husband how! Love it. Good luck on the surgery tomorrow – hope all goes okay! So proud of you. It looks fantastic!

4. Kim February 24, 2012 at 2:24 am #

I think it looks absolutely amazing! Love the planks of wood on the wall, such a nice switch from the standard board and batten. Great job!

5. Jessie @ Imperfectly Polished February 24, 2012 at 2:35 am #

The planks are gorgeous! Definitely my favorite part:) The room looks beautiful!

6. Karen At Home February 24, 2012 at 2:49 am #

What an amazing space! I really love the Wythe blue, thank you so much for emailing me the color. I am thinking of painting our office this color, it's stunning!

Have a great weekend!

7. Fox Hollow Cottage February 24, 2012 at 2:51 am #

Gorgeous. Just gorgeous! It is so sunny, warm, fresh, pulled together and chic looking. I bet you can't stop smiling! I like that it's not too "perfect". The wood tones, the white and the patterns all really compliment each other. Enjoy the wonderful new space. Good luck on your surgery tomorrow. Hope all goes smooth and you recover in a blink ;)

8. Amy Fountain February 24, 2012 at 4:54 am #

You're living area transformation is so amazing. Thank you for sharing this photos. The room is very lovely, i love the airiness and the sun room idea.

9. Eclectically Vintage February 24, 2012 at 4:57 am #

It's fantastic! You are a diy diva! Love the paneling, the barn doors, your color choices (especially that rug)! Great job. New follower.
    Kelly

10. Nina von Ordnungsliebe February 24, 2012 at 8:12 am #

I love the new living room and the yellow items so much.

Greetings from Germany,

Nina

11. Bella February 24, 2012 at 12:14 pm #

Fantastic Jessica! Doesn't even look like the same room. It's so bright and lively now. Huge thumbs up to you and Rhoda.

12. Traci Shanks February 24, 2012 at 12:53 pm #

WOW – this is simply gorgeous! It's light, airy, and so stylish. I love every. single. thing. about it. Great job!

13. star519 February 24, 2012 at 2:08 pm #

Lovely, lovely, lovely! So cottage chic. Great job.

14. Hobby Dünyası February 24, 2012 at 2:33 pm #

very…very…very… nice…

15. the undomesticated wife February 24, 2012 at 2:49 pm #

The yellow really is a great accent color!

Love the rug, where did it come from?

16. Maury Kilgo February 24, 2012 at 3:01 pm #

Oh my gosh Jessica! The entire thing is gorgeous. There is not one thing that I can see that isn't perfection. You're amazing. Now you should go spend the weekend curled up on that couch and enjoying your work!

17. Barbara February 24, 2012 at 3:45 pm #

What a fab u lous makeover!! Please send a link or info on the rug….just what I've been looking for! Thanks :) Barbymac1@aol.com

18. Ashley@AttemptsAtDomestication February 24, 2012 at 4:34 pm #

Ohmygoodness! This room looks phenomenal! It barely looks like the same space! What a great transformation!

19. At The Picket Fence February 24, 2012 at 5:05 pm #

Just saw this over at Rhoda's and had to come by and tell you how incredible this is!! It is a truly stunning makeover and every single detail is beautiful. You did an amazing job and the entire space is gorgeous! :-)
    Vanessa

20. Anonymous February 24, 2012 at 9:30 pm #

Something tells me you could have done this all by yourself, don't ever under estimate your talent Jessica, what a fantastic job you did, love it all and your eye for color, amazing.

Big WOW

21. Anonymous February 24, 2012 at 9:54 pm #

Holy Cow! What a beautiful transformation! Love your color choices and the curtains add a nice finishing touch.

~ Jules

(Stopped over from Southern Hospitality)

22. Jessica @ Stay at Home-ista February 24, 2012 at 10:42 pm #

I love the color scheme, so tranquil and pretty. Plus those pillows are the perfect accents, way to go!

23. Dirt Princess February 25, 2012 at 1:00 am #

GREAT job!!!! It turned out beautifully!!! You should pat yourself on the back. Gorgeous

24. Pat February 25, 2012 at 2:39 am #

Your makeover is stunning!!! Everything goes together so beautifully and you achieved that cozy, comfy feeling.You should feel really proud of yourself!!! Kudos to your Dad and Gramp for their help. Good luck tomorrow.

25. Pat February 25, 2012 at 2:40 am #

26. Jessica Bruno February 26, 2012 at 4:30 pm #

Thank you!

27. jerri February 27, 2012 at 3:10 am #

I absolutely LOVE everything about this make-over. Wow!!!

28. rachel@Acts of Life February 27, 2012 at 4:17 am #

This turned out so great Jess. I love the plank walls and the colors are so calm and soothing. What a huge difference from the before pics.

29. Tonya February 28, 2012 at 2:37 am #

What a transformation!! Love the color choices!! Simply GORGEOUS!!!

30. pam {simple details} February 28, 2012 at 2:40 am #

Wow, Jessica! This is so inspiring, what an amazing transformation! Love your fresh combination of colors and prints!

31. Jennifer McCormick February 28, 2012 at 2:42 am #

What a gorgeous transformation! Love the planks on the wall and the wall color. Your attention to detail is brilliant. :)

32. Anonymous February 28, 2012 at 4:33 am #

Your room is absolutely awesome! Peggy
    Came by from A to Z

33. Chelsea @ {twotwentyone} February 28, 2012 at 4:36 am #

AH-MAZING! What a beautiful transformation! I love the color palette, your new sectional (super jealous), planks, the rug… I pretty much everything about this room. You did such a wonderful job!

34. ritajoy@harbour breeze home February 28, 2012 at 5:13 am #

I love it all! What an amazing transformation. Thanks for sharing and inspiring us!

35. Creative Raisins February 28, 2012 at 6:39 am #

Fabulous transformation, it looks so clean and crisp. Love all the pops of colors throughout.

36. A Lived in Home February 28, 2012 at 3:07 pm #

Wow! Now this is a transformation! It is light, bright, and beautiful!

37. ~ Stephanie February 28, 2012 at 3:45 pm #

You did an awesome job, it looks fabulous!

38. Amy L February 28, 2012 at 4:45 pm #

Great room makeover – the afters have to make all the time and work worth it!

39. Debbie {Visual Eye Candy} February 28, 2012 at 5:25 pm #

It looks incredible! I love everything, the drapes are amazing and I love that rug. Great Job!

40. Q @ JAQS February 29, 2012 at 12:48 am #

BEAUTIFUL! You did an amazing job on this room-redo!

Love for you to share it at my “Made by ME” Linky Party Wednesdays :)

41. Lori February 29, 2012 at 2:21 am #

Beautiful! You combined so many pretty element – rug, pillows, curtains, barn doors, lanterns, etc. – to pull together a stunning room. Love it!

42. Jenny March 1, 2012 at 2:42 am #

Wow!!! Absolutely beautiful!

Jenny

43. Lori @ Lori May Interiors March 1, 2012 at 3:09 am #

It's beautiful Jessica! You did an amazing job!

44. Amy @ All In A Day March 1, 2012 at 6:19 pm #

I love, love, love it Jessica! You did an amazing job!! I just love the planks on the wall. They really pulled the room together. Now you've got me looking around the house trying to find a room I can plank! LOL. Nice work! :)

45. Jessica Bruno March 1, 2012 at 7:12 pm #

Thank you Peggy!

46. Jessica Bruno March 1, 2012 at 7:13 pm #

Thank you!

47. Heaven's Walk March 1, 2012 at 11:42 pm #

Beautiful job, Jessica! It looks so fresh and airy and very chic and elegant! The colors you chose are happy, and they make the room look so welcoming!

xoox laurie

48. Vicki V @ blestnest.blogspot.com March 2, 2012 at 3:20 am #

Love the sofa! Is it slipcovered? What maker is it? Your room looks a.maz.ing.

49. Kristy March 2, 2012 at 4:52 am #

What an amazing transformation! It's soo gorgeous!!! A room I'd never want to leave! :)

50. The Rooster and The Hen March 2, 2012 at 6:30 am #

This whole redesign made my heart go piter patter, it is so beautiful! And your photography!!! This project would be perfect for our linky party featuring "Transformations" called Repurpose-Remodel-Reveal, I know our readers would love to see it too! (It starts Friday, March 2nd 2012 at 7:00 am MST and reoccures every 1st and 3rd Friday)

-Whitney @ TheRoosterAndTheHen

51. Nancy @ Sea Rose Cottage March 2, 2012 at 4:58 pm #

Jessica, The room makeover is fantastic! What a body of work—amazing at how much you have accomplished! So hard to pick a favorite, it looks great from every angle. Congrats!

52. Julie March 3, 2012 at 1:13 am #

Wow! Love the transformation! And I love the pillows. I have that Dahlia fabric in my living room in the blue & gray, & I made my daughter's curtains out of the yellow & white :)

53. Kim @ Too Much Time March 3, 2012 at 1:14 am #

WOWSERS! So light, airy, comfortable, and welcoming. I absolutely love it and the colors are beautiful.I would be thrilled if you stopped by linky party going on all weekend!
    Kim@ Too Much Time On My Hands

54. PitterAndGlink March 3, 2012 at 2:00 am #

I am in LOVE with this room! Can I have it?!!! :)

55. Lindsi B March 3, 2012 at 2:17 am #

<——————– this is me GREEN with ENVY!!! I found you on Tater Tots and Jello. I'd love to have you link up with us for Fun Stuff Fridays linky party at Toys In The Dryer. http://www.toysinthedryer.com/2012/03/fun-stuff-fridays-13.html

56. Susan @ Oh My! Creative March 3, 2012 at 3:17 am #

This is so beautiful! You must be so thrilled. I love decorating and watching a room come together. Your colors and prints are just perfect!

Would love it if you would share it with my readers and post it on my web site – http://www.ohmy-creative.com. Join the Community and post as many projects as you like!

Susan

57. Ange March 3, 2012 at 4:35 am #

What a beautiful space! Wow! This is so light and bright! Great job and I love the use of color. Following you and looking forward to more great stuff!

58. Jamie @ Sew Rockin' March 3, 2012 at 4:35 am #

Oh my gosh your room is gorgeous! Congrats on the great work! Enjoy your new space :)

59. courtney vassar March 3, 2012 at 4:50 am #

this is amazing. the planked walls were totally worth all of your effort. they are the show-stopper here. awesome job!

60. Leslie March 3, 2012 at 5:39 am #

Love how beautiful and light it is!!

61. Megan March 3, 2012 at 2:04 pm #

This room is gorgeous! I love the crisp and clean scheme but yet it feels so warm and cozy! Great job!

62. Julie March 3, 2012 at 10:13 pm #

You are invited to share this with my blog hop:

63. Shannon March 4, 2012 at 4:19 am #

WHAT A GORGEOUS ROOM! I love it! Anytime you'd like to share on our link party please do!
    Shannon
    (www.akadesign.ca)

64. Justine March 4, 2012 at 5:09 am #

Stopping by from the Weekend Wrap UP Party!!! http://queenofsavings.com

65. Caroline March 4, 2012 at 5:48 am #

Those curtains are too cute! Love how you were able to make them no-sew, too! Great room transformation!

66. Alison March 4, 2012 at 4:31 pm #

It looks amazing!!!! Love every inch of it!

67. Lettered Cottage March 4, 2012 at 5:48 pm #

3 words: Pretty. Pretty. PRETTY!!!!!!! What an inspiring space, Jessica!!!!!!!

68. Katie Olthoff March 4, 2012 at 5:52 pm #

I love, love, love that you kept the window "whatevers" dark! The whole room is gorgeous!

69. Nancy March 4, 2012 at 6:02 pm #

I thought the before picture looked pretty good. But the after — wowza!!! Great job — gorgeous room!!!

70. Vanessa March 4, 2012 at 6:12 pm #

I love it! This is really "Sunny side up" i think…

71. The DIY Show Off March 4, 2012 at 6:49 pm #

Beautiful transformation, Jessica! Wow!

72. Diana @ Our Vintage Home Love March 4, 2012 at 7:28 pm #

It's beautiful, Jessica! So cheerful and happy! Love!!

73. Cote de Texas March 4, 2012 at 7:34 pm #

omg! my jaw dropped. it looks like a magazine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! fabulous!!!!! rhoda – you did good!! this is sooo great – the rug, i love the sofa and the rug and the walls esp. just love this!

Joni

74. Katherine @ Grass Stains March 4, 2012 at 8:16 pm #

It looks beautiful! I've read Rhoda (and Layla) for years and always enjoy their projects. Your room truly does look like a catalog or magazine photo … but so livable. Great job!

75. Natalie Dixon March 4, 2012 at 8:46 pm #

This is just stunning!! I am madly in love with the plank wall and now my husband is cursing you b/c I'm walking around my house trying to see where I could do it!!! Seriously fantastic job!! I would love to come home to that every day!

76. Tricia March 4, 2012 at 9:09 pm #

Well done! It is lovely : o )

77. Tina March 5, 2012 at 1:14 am #

Absolutely gorgeous!! You did a VERY beautiful job! I came over from The Lettered Cottage & I think I'm going to stay for awhile. Hope you don't mind!
    Hope your surgery went well – been there. Take your time & recover. It can be very boring & you'll want to get up & do things but you'll feel better soon enough. Looking back, I wish I would have "enjoyed" it more.

78. Jessica Bruno March 5, 2012 at 1:24 am #

Hi Tina! You may stay as long as you like :) Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving such a nice comment!

79. Kerri March 5, 2012 at 1:45 am #

This is SUPER lovely!!! It is so fresh and pretty. Great job – congrats to you and Rhoda! ~Kerri, A Pop of Pretty

80. Jen Gilday March 5, 2012 at 2:02 am #

So cheery!! Nice work – looks fantastic!!!

Jen
    athomeinthenorthwestblog.com

81. Michelle March 5, 2012 at 2:48 am #

This looks fantastic! I love the colors you chose. I'm hoping you'll share where you got the rug? :) Love it!

82. Jessica Bruno March 5, 2012 at 3:17 am #

Hey Michelle! I hope you get this response. There was no reply address on your comment. Thanks for the kuddo's :) I got the rug at overstock.com. The description is blue gray trellis rug. Hope that helps :)

83. jenifer M March 5, 2012 at 12:30 pm #

AWESOME!

84. Shaunna March 5, 2012 at 1:58 pm #

Jessica–how have I not seen this yet?!? It's soooo up my alley and it turned out beautifully. Love the planks, the wall color, the sofa. Another awesome thing about freshening up the space–I love how now your dark trimmed window casings pop–LOVE that! Great job, gals!!
    :-)
    shaunna

85. Anonymous March 5, 2012 at 3:57 pm #

Where did you get your sectional?? I love it and I love the new room! :)

86. Sarah Mudd March 5, 2012 at 4:50 pm #

I LOVE IT! This confirmed for me that the living room in my new home will be Wythe Blue. I decided that this weekend, but when I saw your after picture, I thought "I Love that color. Wonder what it is!"

87. Andrea @ Decorating Cents March 5, 2012 at 5:06 pm #

This looks really good. I love the colors.

88. SassyKay March 5, 2012 at 5:16 pm #

Wow! Gorgeous job!

89. Kim Wilson March 5, 2012 at 5:51 pm #

Ok, You've heard this a gazillion times already but I wanted to tell you how beautiful I think your room turned out! You all did a great job and it's so bright and cheery! I'm lovin' those lamps on your side tables!! They are exactly what I'm looking for! Could you share where you found them? ~ KIM @ Sand & Sisal

90. Amanda March 5, 2012 at 5:52 pm #

WOW! You have done an incredible job. This room looks so fresh and cozy at the same time. Kudos!

91. Jen March 5, 2012 at 6:15 pm #

Love the colors, the cools and the pop of yellow. Also the built in storage is fantastic. Thanks for sharing. This gives me lots of ideas for how I'd like to re-do our living room. The Wythe Blue is the perfect shade. The only thing I would suggest is sharing more of your sources/prices : ) Thanks!

92. Jo @ To a Pretty Life March 5, 2012 at 6:27 pm #

This room is beautiful! I love the rug, and the lanterns, and the bright cozy feel of the whole space!

93. Erika March 5, 2012 at 6:41 pm #

Absolutely beautiful! I like how you transformed a dark space into one that is so light, airy, and inviting. Well done!

Erika
    It’s a Wrap Link Party at Artful Rising

94. {northern cottage} March 5, 2012 at 8:43 pm #

i just love it – fresh and crisp and bright and clean – really perfect! new linky party opening later today – would love to have ya swing by!

95. Valerie March 6, 2012 at 1:31 am #

I was just about to ask the same question (re: where did you get the rug), until I scrolled through the comments. love the whole room! I think I'm going to try and do my own version of it in our home. Is the rug an 5 x 8 or 8 x 10?

~Valerie

makingitworthy.com

96. Susan March 6, 2012 at 1:50 am #

Gorgeous makeover! Congratulations!!

97. Valerie March 6, 2012 at 1:56 am #

Thanks Jessica! I got your answer about the rug being the 8 x 10 size. I went straight to overstock.com to order it, but they are sold out of both sizes! I'm thinking your gorgeous room transformation inspired a depletion of their supplies. Way to go!

(I did put my name on an email when there are more rugs thingy, so hopefully I can get one in the future.)

Thanks again for the inspiring post and I pray you're healing well from surgery.

Valerie
    makingitworthy.com

98. Kammy's Korner March 6, 2012 at 2:24 am #

oh my word! Refreshing, inviting, inspiring, and gorgeous don't even begin to desribe this room redo!!!! I would LOOOOOOVE for you to share this with my readers over on Kammy's Korner for the Trash 2 Treasure Tuesday party: http://kammyskorner.blogspot.com/2012/03/trash-2-treasure-tuesday-22.html

99. Jessica Bruno March 6, 2012 at 2:59 am #

The sectional is from Jordans furniture in Natick Ma. Thank you!

100. Jessica Bruno March 6, 2012 at 3:01 am #

Hey Jen! I updated the blog for rug info ect. if you are interested. Thank you ! :)

101. Lindsey {Simply Stylish} March 6, 2012 at 3:28 am #

Hi! I found you through Home Stories A2Z! This is a gorgeous family room redo!! This is the same style (pottery barn-ish) that I have. I love idea of putting the wood planks on the wall. I'm dying for some board and batton but I love what you did too! I think I may just try this in our master now. Thanks for the inspiration! You did a great job and the wall color is gorgeous. We are about to redo our master and I think that is the color I will do. Great job! Come visit at Simply Stylish! :)

102. Susan March 6, 2012 at 3:42 am #

Thanks for updating with the rug info! I see that the size you referenced (5' x 8') is sold out, but there is a larger one (8' x 10') that is currently available…

103. Shantalle@lifestylesofthestayathomemom.com March 6, 2012 at 6:11 pm #

This room is just stunning!

104. Stacy of KSW March 7, 2012 at 3:03 am #

Wow, I can not believe how amazing it all turned out!! Or that you completed this so quickly. I use to have that rug in my living room too, but needed one size bigger for it to really work. I gave it to a friend who was moving in to her first place. Such a great print, just hope yours stops shedding

105. Joy @ Thrifty Parsonage Living March 7, 2012 at 4:05 am #

I absolutely love what you've done with this room! What a wonderful transformation! You did a great job!

106. Lisa Scibilia March 7, 2012 at 4:19 am #

Wow Jessica! The room looks fantastic – I absolutely love the planked walls – they add so much character! And I'm loving the look and price point on the burlap drapes – just awesome!
    Hope you are feeling better day by day and have a good recovery! Best wishes.

107. Heidi @ Moms Crafty Space March 7, 2012 at 4:21 am #

What a gorgeous room! I love every single thing about it! Where did you find that cute accent pillow with the sunshine on it?

108. Bettsi McComb March 7, 2012 at 3:50 pm #

I'm your 110th commenter! Just had to say- so beautiful! Love, love, love!

109. Erin March 7, 2012 at 9:22 pm #

WOW! Just popped over from Beth's blog (A to Z) and LOVE what you've done. It's just beautiful!!

110. Heather March 12, 2012 at 4:29 am #

Hi — I, too, found your blog via Southern Hospitality. Rhoda is great and has wonderful ideas…and you do too! Your room looks great. I may have to order one of those sunshine pillows. :o)

You inspired us to redo our den/sewing room. Have you done your tutorial on your cabinet doors? Hope not. Would love to incorporate something like that is our space. See—more inspiration.

Keep up the good work.

111. Jessica Bruno March 12, 2012 at 10:26 am #

Hi Heather! I hope you get this b/c I tried emailing you back but your email is not activated on your blogger profile so I have no way of contacting you. I did not do the tutorial yet but probably the end of this week :) Thanks for stopping by!

112. Heather March 12, 2012 at 7:03 pm #

Thanks, Jessica.

I'm not a blogger, just a reader. Looking forward to your tutorial on the doors. Will send you photos when we are done. :o)

113. Heather March 12, 2012 at 7:05 pm #

I just subscribed via email. Didn't know I could do that. You'll have my email now. Thanks.

Heather :o)

114. Unknown March 14, 2012 at 3:21 am #

I just bought this rug in lilac b/c of this room. Thank you!

115. Allison @ House of Hepworths March 29, 2012 at 9:00 pm #

Wow, I love your new room. It is amazing!

116. momstheword March 30, 2012 at 1:07 am #

What a gorgeous room! I love what you did with it. I am adding you to my Reader. I also love that you have four generations under one roof, that's awesome. We have three!

117. Rachel April 4, 2012 at 3:03 pm #

Your room is lovely! I really like your burlap curtains. Do you mind if I put a couple of your pictures on Pinterest?

118. melissa@joyineveryseason April 8, 2012 at 8:52 pm #

that's just lovely … makes me happy just looking at it :o)

119. Jessica Bruno April 8, 2012 at 9:51 pm #

Thank you Melissa! Me to :)

120. {darlene} @ fieldstonehill April 11, 2012 at 7:17 pm #

I WAS sleeping. No, crazy-busy, more like it. BUT MY WORD!!!!! IT is GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Way to go Rhoda and Jessica. A GORGEOUS transformation!!!!!!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE!

121. G+D April 13, 2012 at 2:34 pm #

Hi Jessica! Found you through Home Stories A to Z and I may need some help picking my jaw up off the floor. Your living room transformation is incredible! I absolutely love your style. Consider me your newest fan!
    -Dusty @All Things G&D

122. Through the Years April 14, 2012 at 2:55 am #

Hello Jessica, I love the room, what a big difference! Can you please tell me where you bought the planks from?
    Thank you!

123. Jessica Bruno April 14, 2012 at 10:30 am #

Hi, hopefullly you get this. Your email wasn't available to respond back to, so I'll post here :) Anyway, you can buy any of the planks at Home DEpot/Lowes or even your local lumber store. These are "wide pine tongue and groove" boards. These are smooth finish, not rough. You can get whatever you like and just nail them up! :) Have a great weekend!

124. Mindy April 16, 2012 at 7:31 pm #

it’s gorgeous! my parents still live in the same house (30+ years) and I feel like someday I’ll get the house but want to redo every single thing!

125. Lauren @SummitStreetJoy April 18, 2012 at 3:00 pm #

I am completely smitten with your gorgeous transformation!!! So lovely. I featured your room in my post today regarding the debate on white slipcovered sofas— I hope that’s OK— please let me know! :) And would love to hear your opinion of the white sofa now that you’ve had some time to settle in and dirty it up!

Thanks for the inspiration! Blessings,
    Lauren
    @www.summitstreetjoy.com

• jessica April 18, 2012 at 5:41 pm #

Hey Lauren! Thanks so much. We love the white sofa in fact, my dog got blood all over it the other day (from her chin) and I just about had a heart attack. Thankfully, I paid a small amount extra for the stain treatment. It blotted right up with water and a paper towel! Let me know if you get this response…I just switched my blog to WP and I am trying to figure out the comment system. Thank you!

• Lauren @SummitStreetJoy April 18, 2012 at 6:38 pm #

Hi Jessica! Yes, got the comment… thanks SO much for the reply!!! Where is your couch from? Maybe I missed that from the original post but didn’t think I saw the brand. Anyway, I’m super grateful for your input… we have 3 kids and a cat & I’ve looked high and low for another option but I really just want WHITE! I see you’re a New Englander… I’m originally from Mass. & that’s where all my family still lives :) thanks again for the feedback! blessings, lauren

126. Sherry Hart May 13, 2012 at 11:00 am #

You and Rhoda did a fabulous job!!! I love Rhoda….she is a doll. Great job on all the woodwork.

127. Mandi May 27, 2012 at 9:32 pm #

This room is absolutely incredible! I’m SO in love with it. You’ve done an incredible job!!!

128. Jennifer June 21, 2012 at 10:49 am #

All I can say is, “WOW!” You made a huge transformation to this room, and it looks so bright and cheerful. This is really helpful to me while I am house-hunting, since many of the homes in our price range have rooms that need to be made over big time. You have given me some inpiring vision!
    p.s. I love the hanging lanterns from Pier 1.
    Did the hanging rod/hook come with the lanterns, or did you buy them somewhere else?
    I would love to get a few for my house.
    Thanks so much! Love the room

• Jessica June 24, 2012 at 6:43 am #

Hi Jennifer! Thank you so much for you sweet comment :) The hooks are from home depot (plant hook). I love using outdoor plant hooks inside. Adding a wall treatment (planks) and paint is so easy and economical to change the look of a room. Good luck house hunting :)

129. Ashley July 2, 2012 at 4:32 pm #

I just saw the pillow pictures on pinterest, and I couldn’t have been more excited. I’m pretty sure the kitchen curtains on the second season of Melissa and Joey are made out of the same grey and yellow Dalia fabric. I fell in love with the fabric, and I’m glad to know it’s available somewhere!

You’re place is really awesome!

And, I’m a little ashamed to admit that I watch Melissa and Joey…

130. Alice H July 5, 2012 at 2:59 pm #

Found you thanks to Young House Love. How did you do those curtains? I’d love to use those in my living room.

Thanks,
    Alice

• Jessica July 5, 2012 at 5:00 pm #

Hi Alice! THe curtains are made from burlap that I bought in the fabric store. 3 yards for each panel. I sewed a deep pocked hem at the top and that was it. You can also sew a seam on each side if you don’t want the “frayed” look but I liked the fray look. So easy and simple…..and very inexpensive. Go for it !

131. Lea July 5, 2012 at 3:53 pm #

Hi Jessica, can you please tell me the brand of your sofa?? I have been searching everywhere for a wonderful white sofa like yours! Thank you!

• Jessica July 5, 2012 at 4:57 pm #

Hi Lea, I don’t know the brand off the top of my head (I am not home right now) but you can find it at Jordans Furniture (Natick Ma). Not sure if they have delivery online though or where you are located. However, you can find the sectional on there. The color is natural. Thank you for stopping by! PS. There is also a link at the botttom of the post that says, “resource list”. The link to the couch is also located on that list.

132. Erica July 5, 2012 at 3:59 pm #

Looks awesome! I love the “pottery barn” style. My question is, how did you plug in your lamps? Or are the just decorative? I’ve always wondered about how to put a lump in the middle of the room without trailing a cord all over…

• Jessica July 5, 2012 at 4:52 pm #

I ran the cords (and an extension cord) under the couch and there is a plug behind the couch. I bought white duct tape to cover it (the 2 feet or so that comes out behind the couch) so it isn’t a trip hazard. Nobody really goes behind that part of the couch so the duct tape isn’t really necessary. Thank you so much for stopping by!

133. Hannah@The Erohs July 5, 2012 at 5:04 pm #

Found you via Young House Love.

I love your room! We painted our living room a blue/green likes yours but haven’t done anything else with it. Now I have some great ideas! Love, love, love the planks on the walls. May have to convince the hubby that we need to do something like that. :)

134. Ashleigh P. July 5, 2012 at 5:16 pm #

Hi!! I hopped over from YHL & just had to tell you how much I love your new room! I too am struggling to update my dark & dreary traditional living space into something brighter. Thanks for sharing your process as you have definitely given me a few ideas. The barn doors on the existing cabinet are my favorite part!

135. Erin @ DIY On the Cheap July 5, 2012 at 5:34 pm #

Wow! What a transformation! I love everything about this space. Great job!

136. Sam M. July 5, 2012 at 11:01 pm #

This is SO beautiful! I can’t even believe the transformation – wonderful job!

137. Sara July 6, 2012 at 9:56 am #

Your room is amazing! I’m loving the plaked walls. How much did you spend on wood? Is that really an affordable update? I would love to see a post detailing that process. Great job!

• Jessica July 7, 2012 at 5:42 am #

Hi, I bought 8’long pine tongue and groove for about $6 a board and then cut them in half. Each board is about $6 or so. You can buy longer ones and cut them (will save you $). This room is about 480 square feet. We spent under $200 for the planks. We had some left over from another project which helped with the budget! If real wood isn’t in your budget, you can get the same look with MDF, just buy a huge sheet of it and cut the strips wide. Marian at Miss Mustard Seed has a great room she did with this technique on her site. You can see me adding the wood here , http://www.fourgenerationsoneroof.com/2011/11/the-beginning-of-our-family-room-makeover.html . Thank you for stopping by and good luck if you give it a try :)

138. Nadia July 6, 2012 at 10:21 am #

Hi – Beautiful project. I have an offtopic question – do you have a direct link to your inspiration photo from House Beautiful? I really like the sofa in it, but couldn’t find the image on their site. Thanks!

• Jessica July 7, 2012 at 5:30 am #

Hi, I’m sorry I don’t :( I originally found it on pinterest. I just tracked back the pin 10 people on my pinterest board to see if possibly went to a direct link and no luck. Feel free to search back though from my pinterest board (this is the link to the pin http://pinterest.com/pin/266979084129647338/ ) and maybe you will get lucky :) Good luck, that is indeed a beautiful room and sofa !

139. Livvy July 6, 2012 at 12:16 pm #

Hi from Newburyport, MA! Your room would be right at home here at Plum Island. May I ask where you obtained the dark wood table that’s behind the sofa? It is a work of art! Great work, and thanks so much for sharing. I’ll be following you via RSS.

• Jessica July 7, 2012 at 5:15 am #

Hi, so glad you found our blog :) I love Newburyport! The sofa table is from Rotman’s or Jordan’s, both in Ma. My mom bought them about 5 years ago and not cannot remember which store. Most likely Rotmans though. Thanks so much for stopping by and hope you have a great weekend.

140. Patty M July 8, 2012 at 10:04 pm #

Jessica, you did an incredible job on this and it is so beautiful. I hope your surgery wasn’t related to all the work you did by yourself! I made a no-sew burlap window treatment just this last week. Don’t you love that stuff? If you get time, check it out at http://alwayssomethinghome.blogspot.com/2012/07/how-to-no-sew-burlap-window-treatment.html.

Many blessings!

• Jessica July 9, 2012 at 10:23 pm #

Thanks Patty! Nope, surgery was from giving birth. ha. Prolapsed bladder :( All is good though…knock on wood! I’ll be sure to check out your burlap post. I love burlap!

141. Melissa @TheHappierHomemaker July 19, 2012 at 10:09 pm #

How have I existed in the DIY blogging world without seeing your blog or this amazing makeover??? I found you via Hometalk-and so glad I did!

142. Jessica September 6, 2012 at 5:12 pm #

Hi Jessica, I LOVE what you did!! I’ve been looking for the seagulls above your t.v. where did you get them??

• Jessica September 6, 2012 at 8:08 pm #

Hi, thank you! The doves are from Target :)

143. Envious October 7, 2012 at 9:31 pm #

Beautiful job! Found you from Curbly on Pinterest. Love the tongue & groove wall panel. =)

144. Miss Charming October 13, 2012 at 11:26 am #

Such a beautiful room! I love the planking on the walls and the colors you chose.

145. Jennifer October 13, 2012 at 1:51 pm #

So I’m sitting here admiring your room as we are about to embrak on a living room makeover in similiar colors and was curious about your lamp cords for the lamp on the side table and console. I have furniture pulled away from the wall in another room and it drives me nuts that our lamp cord has to reach all the way to wall AND is very noticable. HOw did you hide yours??

146. Bethany November 2, 2012 at 11:51 pm #

Beautiful! I love it so much!!! So inspirational! Thank you so much for the detailed post. :)

• Jessica Bruno November 8, 2012 at 7:30 am #

Thank you Bethany for stopping by and your kind words :)

147. Fran January 22, 2013 at 9:29 am #

Where did the couch come from?

148. Brook February 14, 2013 at 7:32 pm #

Where did you get your area rug?

149. Sherry February 27, 2013 at 2:50 pm #

I have to say that I squealed when I saw your room!! So beautiful! We are in the middle of putting board and batton up in our living/dining room. I want to change the wall colour to Wythe blue (so I started to search and see if anyone has done this). My husband is a visual guy…now I can show him what you’ve done and how beautiful it looks.
    I was worried that Wythe Blue would be too dark but I think the white B&B will help.

150. Rachael Obella March 21, 2013 at 7:19 pm #

Love the room!! I really like your burlap curtain idea I’d like to venture out and try it myself but am a little overwhelmed because I’ve NEVER bought fabric before :) in your opinion if I have 9ft ceilings and need six panels how many yards should I buy…I want the curtains long too!! Thanks ;)

• Jessica Bruno March 24, 2013 at 8:01 am #

Hey Rachael! I would plan on 4-5 yards per panel.

151. Sam May 2, 2013 at 4:32 pm #

Hi,

The room is gorgeous! The details you added are just right, and it really is light and airy–may favorite. I was wondering if you would tell me the room dimensions. I love how just right everything is, very cozy without being small and not too big so things are lost.

Thank you!

152. Meghan June 7, 2013 at 11:25 pm #

Love your home. The before looks like mine now and what I want it to be in your after. Love the brightness of it!

153. Things That Inspire June 22, 2013 at 7:54 am #

This project lives on via Pinterest – just saw it and had to comment, even though this post is over a year old. Beautiful job.

I really love the thought of doing a sectional in my kid’s playroom, and the sectional you found at a local furniture store looks great. Now that you have had it in place for a year, where do your family member like to sit – do they sit in the corner a lot? Do they like the long ‘chaise lounge’ part? Also, I really really want to get an off white sectional. I think it looks great, and love how neutral it is – you can change the pillows if you want to update the color scheme. Have you found that the sectional has become dirty with the off white color? Are they slipcovers that can be washed?

Thank for you this inspiration!

Holly

• Jessica Bruno June 24, 2013 at 8:39 am #

I am getting all the slip covers cleaned (dry cleaned) for the first time since we bought the couch (1 year 4 months ago). YOu would never know there are 5 of us that always sit on this couch and 2 dogs that constantly rub up against it! ha. It spot cleans fabulously and still looks great :) I say buy one! :) Pottery Barn sells slip covered couches and I believe the slip covers can be washed ?

• Jessica Bruno June 24, 2013 at 7:43 pm #

I actually washed one of the slip covers today and it washed beautifully! No dryer just a delicate wash cycle. I was praying it would be ok b/c I didn’t want to go the dry cleaning route as I mentioned earlier. Your message got me thinking about washing them so I did! :)

154. amy June 28, 2013 at 12:02 am #

Hi! What a great room! i have the same color in our playroom and we love it!
    Are the open shelves above the book case something you put together yourself? Did you get the bookcase for that space? It all goes together perfectly! Thinking about adding something similar in my house but not sure where to start. (Guess i should get a nail gun too!) :-)

Thanks!

155. Julie July 15, 2013 at 11:00 pm #

I Love everything about this room! Can you please tell me the manufacturer and model number of the fabulous sectional?? I have been looking for a sectional like that for months!

156. Terri August 21, 2013 at 3:11 pm #

I just have to say how BEAUTIFUL your room looks! I was searching for help with curtain ideas for our master bedroom and came across your post. You have done a fantastic job!!! I am trying to transform our plain bedroom into a casual beach/cottage look. I bought the bedding over 3 years ago. It took me 2 months to find the discontinued ensemble pieces on line after seeing the duvet in a model home. They are still sitting in their original packaging. I hope to connect with Rhoda at Southern Hospitality for her expertise to get this project done. THANK YOU for sharing it with us.

• Jessica Bruno August 21, 2013 at 3:15 pm #

Thank you! Yes Rhoda is super helpful :) Good luck with your room!

157. Jamie September 11, 2013 at 9:40 am #

I love your room! We’re in the middle of a total redo as well and I didn’t see if anyone asked about your coffee table. Did you make it or buy it?? If so where?

158. Hannah March 2, 2014 at 1:29 pm #

I am IN LOVE with your living room! You did such a great job! It is a big inspiration for me as I begin decorating my new living room! I hope you don’t mind, I included a picture of your beautiful living room on my blog today and linked back to this post. http://homeiswheretheheartis8410.blogspot.com/2014/03/curtains-how-to-choose.html
    Any advice for how to start the whole decorating process? My room is a blank canvas.

159. Katy March 13, 2014 at 10:47 am #

Can I ask if you got the Ektorp Ikea Couch? Or is it something different? I am currently researching for a slip cover couch right now.

Thanks!

• Jessica Bruno March 16, 2014 at 9:31 pm #

The couch is from a local furniture store in Natick, Ma. I believe the Ektorp is nice though although it’s not as big as the one I have but I know the Ikea prices are reasonable. Good luck with your search!

160. Carrie April 6, 2014 at 10:03 am #

Jessica, wow. Just beautiful every time I see it come across Pinterest. Catches my eye every time. Your set of doves plucks a heart string for me and prompted a very strenuous search on the web, but alas, I cannot find them. Please share where you got them from! Love the room!

161. Kim G April 22, 2014 at 11:51 am #

Your room looks spectacular! I do have a question…where did you buy the rug? I love it! Thanks in advance!

162. Kay July 24, 2014 at 10:58 am #

Wonderful room! I love the colors and ease of the space. Quick question about the sectional.. Is it comfortable? I’m looking for a deep comfy sectional that I can curl up and spread out on. Are the cushions soft? Has it worn well over the years? How’s the fabric holding up?

• Jessica Bruno July 27, 2014 at 10:05 am #

We love our sectional and it’s super comfy!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. DIY home decor | Four Generations One Roof - November 1, 2012

[…] is a shot of our family room that I took while the This Old House photographers and stylists were here. See, green […]

2. Our decorated Christmas tree {Home Depot Style Challenge} | Four Generations One Roof - November 9, 2012

[…] of my favorite decorations are the Martha Stewart red glittered reindeer that are sitting on the shelf behind the tree. These guys are […]

3. The Mommy Chop « hsquaredblog - February 1, 2013

[…] Original source […]

4. How we handle conflict in our multi generational home - Four Generations One Roof - March 26, 2013

[…] are lying. During this argument in comes my dad moseying on through the kitchen and into our family room. Completely clueless and unaware of what he just walked into. Of course, my husband keeps on going […]

5. Playroom + Study Room Mood Board Update - Four Generations One Roof - April 5, 2013

[…] Darlene shows you below in her mood board how this will look. I am a visual person and I love how the mood board helps me see the finished project.  When I shared this room in January with you, I talked about my overall goal for this room to be a functioning, stylish and comfortable study. A room where I can blog, a place for my son’s toys (behind doors), a study area for homework and essentially, another TV room. […]