How to build a media console {tutorial}

The media console is finally finished.  The media console that I loved was this one from Pottery Barn but the price tag was a bit scary. I asked my dad about making a template for a media console and his response was, “why don’t you just buy one”. I knew that would be his response but after a little convincing and pleading he agreed to help.

How to build a media console

This was my inspiration from Pottery Barn.

We are in the process of a family room makeover, you might have remembered seeing me nailing planks to the wall about a month ago. Miss Rhoda, from Southern Hospitality, has been helping me and I hope to have the final reveal in a couple weeks !

I did a post before Christmas when we started making the media console. I will do a materials list and tutorial soon.

This is what we came up with,

How to build a diy pottery barn inspired media console

I painted the cabinet with 1 coat of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint “French linen” and then mixed 75%Benjamin Moore “white diamond” with 25% ASCP “French linen” for the 2nd coat. I didn’t have ASCP “pure white” so I substituted with the BM “white diamond” .

Pottery Barn Apothecary cabinet
We have a lumber mill about 1 mile from our house and look what I found for the top! A beautiful 2 1/2 inch piece of reclaimed lumber.
Pottery Barn Apothecary Cabinet top
I bought a 25’ piece for $18! Scoooooooooore Smile I sanded it to get the dirt off, wiped it clean and applied Annie Sloan Clear Wax and then Annie Sloan dark wax to enhance the dark tones of the wood. I love how it came out!
Reclaimed lumber close up top
The poor guy at the mill dug this thing out from a pile of probably 300 random pieces of wood.
Pottery Barn Apothecary Cabinet inside
I still need to get some white cord covers. You can see the progress in the background of the planks on the wall.
_DSC1183
The doors are kitchen cabinet doors that we had left over and I turned them length wise, cut 4×4” squares from MDF wood, glued them on the cabinet doors to create the faux drawer look. I wanted these knobs from Anthropologie,
I needed 12 and at $8 each, the knobs would have cost more than the cost to build the entire cabinet! So, I went to Michaels and found these in the jewelry section,
Anthropology knobs-2
I will do a post soon on how I made the doors and made these .50cent knobs!
Anthropologie knockoff knobs

Pottery Barn Apothecary cabinet
And there you have it, my version of a Pottery Barn Apothecary Media Console for a total cost of $75 (cost of wood & knobs). Learning how to build a media console was a bit more involved than I anticipated and I am thankful my dad helped me. I’m not sure what it would have looked like if he wasn’t there to help. ha :).

UPDATE: Be sure to check out our DIY Anthropologie knob tutorial. This do it yourself media console was built on the same premise as our window seat tutorial, just different dimensions. If you are looking to try some Annie Sloan Wax or chalk paint, I got mine from Nancy at Sea Rose Cottage. Look her up, she has a fab store and is sooooo helpful! :)

, , , , , ,

Responses to How to build a media console {tutorial}

1. nannykim January 9, 2012 at 11:43 pm #

I love how it turned out and it is a blessing to have someone around with the gift of making something like that!

2. Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality January 10, 2012 at 12:11 am #

Hey, Jessica, that looks beautiful. You & your dad did a great job & I love, love that old reclaimed wood. Can't wait to see how it all turns out!!

3. debbie refresh restyle January 10, 2012 at 12:28 am #

It looks great! Love the wood!
    Debbie

4. pam {simple details} January 10, 2012 at 12:59 am #

Wow, Jessica, it's beautiful! The piece of wood was adds so much character, and I can't wait to find out about your knobs!

5. Lisa @ Shine Your Light January 10, 2012 at 2:18 am #

Jessica, what a great piece! That top is GORGEOUS!!!! What a score!

6. rachel@Acts of Life January 10, 2012 at 2:43 am #

This turned out so nicely Jessica. I love the reclaimed piece of wood for the top!

7. MyChampagneTaste January 10, 2012 at 2:59 am #

It turned out beautiful and the knobs are just perefct choice…I love the contrast
    Rasha @ mychampagnetaste

8. Chelsea @ {twotwentyone} January 10, 2012 at 4:26 am #

Simply beautiful! I love the piece of wood you put on top. Wonderful job!

9. Becca January 10, 2012 at 5:12 am #

Holy Cow! This is awesome! I've had my eye on this as a DIY build. Where in the world id you find wood for that price- can I just admit I am super jealous! ;)

10. Maury January 10, 2012 at 2:04 pm #

This is beautiful! Great job Jessica!

11. Taryn @ Design, Dining + Diapers January 10, 2012 at 6:36 pm #

This is beautiful! I love the reclaimed wood and the knobs you chose.

12. nest of posies January 10, 2012 at 8:28 pm #

oh my word! that is beautiful!

can i just say that i love that you always say "we" did or "we" built. ;) full house of talented people.

xo
    kellie

13. aksherry January 10, 2012 at 8:34 pm #

I want!!

14. Ellie January 10, 2012 at 9:17 pm #

Jessica, your media stand is amazing and the top is just perfection! I love the plank wall, by the way. We have a wood burning stove too, and I like how yours looks with the plank wall. Thanks for the inspiration!

15. Laurel @ Ducks in a Row January 10, 2012 at 10:49 pm #

Dare I say that I like it better than Pottery Barn?! The reclaimed wood on top is awesome!

16. Creative Choices Interior(s) January 11, 2012 at 1:42 am #

This is so great. I love this, I have seen more and more dressers getting use this way. I think it is a fun and great addition to any room when you repurpose a dresser piece.

17. SJ @ Homemaker On A Dime January 11, 2012 at 6:11 am #

Hi! I pinned this on Pinterest, posted on fb, and featured at Creative DIYers Club. Please feel free to grab the feature button :)

18. Sharon January 11, 2012 at 2:45 pm #

Hi! Just found you through Home Stories A-Z and I LOVE your cabinet!! The reclaimed wood is PERFECT! LOVE it!! You guys have done a fantastic job!

19. Anonymous January 11, 2012 at 6:46 pm #

Your cabinet turned out beautifully! Wow! What great work you do.

Naomi W.

20. Susan @ homeroad.net January 12, 2012 at 2:03 am #

Jessica I love the wood on the top, the cabinet is beautiful. I have one I'd like to paint white and it has no top, I like your inspiration! Now I've just gotta find the wood…
    Thanks for your tutorial!
    Susan

21. Stephanie @ Horse Hound and House January 12, 2012 at 12:53 pm #

I love the reclaimed wood! The came out beautiful, but the wood totally makes it.

22. Jen Gilday January 12, 2012 at 4:54 pm #

That wood top is to die for! Nice work!
    Jen
    athomeinthenorthwestblog.com

23. Jessica Bruno January 12, 2012 at 5:19 pm #

Thank you !!

24. Jessica Bruno January 12, 2012 at 5:23 pm #

25. Ashley@AttemptsAtDomestication January 12, 2012 at 9:36 pm #

Wow! This looks phenomenal and so beautiful! I really love the reclaimed wood on the top! Is there a tutorial?

26. Jessica Bruno January 13, 2012 at 12:34 am #

Thankyou! :)

27. Jessica Bruno January 13, 2012 at 12:35 am #

Hi Ashley, Thank you! I just posted a tutorial on the knobs and the cabinet will be soon! :)

28. Nancy January 13, 2012 at 1:11 am #

Jessica,

Just brilliant! (this is Nancy at Sea Rose Cottage and yes I haven't figured out how to do that Google profile thingy yet :) Sharing on Facebook.

29. simplyaddcoffee January 13, 2012 at 3:53 pm #

Oh. My. Goodness!

First of all…that is beautiful! Can't believe you it, and I think it looks *better* than the pottery barn one:-)

Second of all…you live with FOUR generations! Amazing! Can't wait to read more on your blog…

30. Jessica Bruno January 14, 2012 at 12:48 am #

Thank you! :)

31. Jessica Bruno January 14, 2012 at 12:48 am #

test

32. Jessica Bruno January 14, 2012 at 12:48 am #

Thank you! :)

33. Danielle January 14, 2012 at 1:03 am #

This looks great! I love how you made the buttons, too!

34. Jenny@daysofchalkandchocolate January 14, 2012 at 1:52 am #

Super clever! I love the top and I agree..prettier than PB's! I found you at TT & J. I have a party going on Fridays and I'd love if you linked up!

35. Life In The Thrifty Lane January 14, 2012 at 2:15 am #

Amazing job! Looks very nice :) Visiting from TT&J.

36. Ghetto Ideal January 14, 2012 at 1:42 pm #

I really like. We have the one from Pottery Barn. Wonder if my hubby would complain if I do those Anthropology knobs.

37. Alissa@CraftyEndeavor January 14, 2012 at 4:53 pm #

This is so cute! I love the piece of wood you found for the top.

38. Tisha January 15, 2012 at 2:20 am #

This looks amazing!

39. Ruth January 15, 2012 at 3:22 am #

It is gorgeous. The top is amazing. How awesome to find it. Great job.
    Ruth

40. Sugarr2518 January 17, 2012 at 3:50 am #

This looks fabulous! I love the wood top it really pulls the look together and gives it that something extra:)

41. Elizabeth (Blue Clear Sky) January 28, 2012 at 9:51 pm #

You did a fantastic job on your media cabinet. It is functional and beautiful. I especially like the top. We have lumber from my fil's old sawmill that I am incorporating into a project too.

42. Niki March 19, 2014 at 4:11 pm #

Can’t wait for the know tutorial!!! Looks amazing!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks