White painted dining room hutch {makeover}

When we moved a few years ago this hutch was put in the shed and I forgot all about it. This is the top piece which has glass shelves and lights at the top. I have decided to refinish it to a white color for our dining room.

Hutch top before

It’s a solid oak piece that is the top to a hutch we have in another room in our house. The piece was given to me by my grandparents about 15 years ago and it has traveled from house to house with me. It was one of my first pieces of furniture when I got out of college. A hand-me-down but new to me. I painted it a barn red when I in my early 20′s and tried to make it look rustic but I had no idea, as you can see, what I was doing. My dad helped me get it out of storage last week and needless to say, it’s rotted in certain places and smells musty. Here is my dad’s response when I told him I wanted to revive this smelly rotted hutch.

Dad sleepy face_1

AFter I cleaned the hutch thoroughly and lightly sanded, I used an oil base white primer by Kilz and then applied 3 coats of semi gloss white dove paint by Benjamin Moore. It took a couple weekends but the outcome was worth it.

white_painted_hutch_furniture_makeover-3

I ended up removing the glass shelves and adding wood shelves. The painted background in gray is a nice contrast with the white. Our white painted dining room hutch has a new bright vibrant look which I think looks great in our dining room. It’s perfect for storing the kids arts and crafts supplies as well as displaying my great grandmother’s china. It’s amazing what a little elbow grease and some paint will do.

Responses to White painted dining room hutch {makeover}

1. MyChampagneTaste October 7, 2011 at 11:20 pm #

OMG today I also found 2 old latters!!! what a coincidence :) I was having a photoshoot for my work ( you can check out my fashion page on my blog) And I found a 2 nasty of course old latters I will use them one day ..and im so happy for you you found a better treasure than mine :)

2. Babs October 8, 2011 at 12:04 am #

That found piece looks like it has "possibilities". I think it would look great all spruced up. Your poor dad…he's probably thinking he's going to be called on to help. LOL
    Thanks for stopping by. Have a great weekend and I'm waiting to see how your project turns out.
    Babs

3. rachel@Acts of Life October 8, 2011 at 4:55 am #

Ha! I love your dad's expression! I think you can make this into something fab! Can't wait to see what you come up with :)

4. Taylor Greenwalt October 9, 2011 at 1:50 pm #

I can not believe you forgot about that piece of furniture. I can not wait to see what you do to it. So lucky to have a handy Dad.

5. Karen October 11, 2011 at 12:54 am #

If that was in your shed…I would love to come have a look around…..I need a shed like that!

6. thefinestkind October 11, 2011 at 12:05 pm #

Oh my WORD I love your dad's face. :) Mirror's my hubbys when I have a new idea up my sleeve!!

just found you through Darlene; and I LOVE that you all live together like you do, btw. We lived with my parents for 3 years; now we live 2 doors down. The experience that my kiddos get to have; by knowing their grandparents so well; it's priceless!

7. {darlene} October 12, 2011 at 1:49 pm #

ha ha! how CUTE! That is a great discovery… especially since it was already yours! perfect!

8. Lori @ Lori May Interiors October 12, 2011 at 11:38 pm #

Can't wait to see what you do with it! Wish I had your dad around my house!

9. pam {simple details} October 13, 2011 at 3:13 am #

Great idea for the cabinet! I'd love a mudroom, that looks like the perfect spot!